Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Datsun 280z-------------> 5.3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:59 AM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent build! Im in the process of getting together a 5.3 powered 72 240Z too! I was following your build on hybridz as well. Im "z ya" over there. Hopefully I can do the same headers if the budget is available...I doubt it..lol.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed for updates... considering a similar project myself...
Old 12-06-2011, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6D9
Excellent build! Im in the process of getting together a 5.3 powered 72 240Z too! I was following your build on hybridz as well. Im "z ya" over there. Hopefully I can do the same headers if the budget is available...I doubt it..lol.
Yeah, headers.............. now thats a sore subject

Originally Posted by ShredSled
subscribed for updates... considering a similar project myself...
I'd like an update too. Its been QUITE a while since I've heard anything... Having headers built as a group buy.....

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Any updates?
Not really. Other than getting the runaround from someone getting the runaround.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

glimmer of hope..... the builder got the tubes from the bender..... now he just has to put them all together!

Name:  stacksonstacksonstacks.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  44.0 KB
Old 01-06-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got this text from the builder last night!

"First set jigged, fit, and jig adjusted for the second set tomorrow!"

This means I'll FINALLY have my car back!!! And then i can finish it...
Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right on man...congrats!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Subscribed. I love datsun Zs
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Banned

That's great news.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

As I'm sure some of you now know,

I HAVE MY CAR BACK!

I've started mocking up the rest of my exhaust system, which will include a true dual 2.5" out the back, with magnaflow bullet mufflers, and an H-pipe.

I began by building my mock up mufflers to the exact size of a real one, with some scrap around the shop.

Enjoy!

Maganaflol

The rest of my TO DO list includes:

-Radiator and Fans
-Finish Engine Harness
-Install dash
-Driveshaft
-Rebuilt T56 (opened up my "pullout from running car" to find the 3/4 synchro hub in 3 pieces....... :angry: ) Sooooo i get to take a crash course on manual tranny rebuilds - pretty easy really, I've assisted with a couple, but this will be the REAL test

-Brake system maintenance ( Flush, fresh pads/ shoes at a BARE minimum) ..... maybe reaction disk??
-Install transmission hydraulics
-Inspect and test fuel system (relays, pump, regulator, check for leaks)
-TIRES

So needless to say, I have my work cut out for me. However, I have a guy buying my camaro friday, so I should have a little extra money to help ease the pain. B)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you sell your camaro I mean when you get this car done what are you gonna compare it to? What if it turns out slower or a money pit or constantly braking fragile rear ends that are somewhat weaker than our ten bolts I hope you have back up transposrtation. my dad had a 78 z car with a 406sbc and th400 and he went thru quite a few rears until putting a four link and a 9inch in it just some food for. Thought
Old 01-24-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in no way bashing your build it rather through and amazing the effort you've put into it I just prefer fbodys to imported sports cars except. The mkiv supras I'm may build one if I can find a base non turbo auto that hasn't been beaten to wholly Hell and back and is in deicent shape that someone don't what want a bazillion dollars for my first born Child and 7 years of indentured servitude
Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and when I mean beaten I mean ricer out and when I say wanting an ARM and a leg plus my right kidney and left ******** to buy one best shape non ricer mk4 I found was 11k and it was high mileage and all there not fast and furious body kit and wing had the original hoop spoiler factory wheels and was forest green metallic :barf if anyone of you guys find a clean Targa auto last gen supra under 5k pm me immediately and ile even give you a finders fee
Old 01-24-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000badbird
Why would you sell your camaro I mean when you get this car done what are you gonna compare it to? What if it turns out slower or a money pit or constantly braking fragile rear ends that are somewhat weaker than our ten bolts I hope you have back up transposrtation. my dad had a 78 z car with a 406sbc and th400 and he went thru quite a few rears until putting a four link and a 9inch in it just some food for. Thought
I'm in no way bashing your build it rather through and amazing the effort you've put into it I just prefer fbodys to imported sports cars except. The mkiv supras I'm may build one if I can find a base non turbo auto that hasn't been beaten to wholly Hell and back and is in deicent shape that someone don't what want a bazillion dollars for my first born Child and 7 years of indentured servitude
Oh and when I mean beaten I mean ricer out and when I say wanting an ARM and a leg plus my right kidney and left ******** to buy one best shape non ricer mk4 I found was 11k and it was high mileage and all there not fast and furious body kit and wing had the original hoop spoiler factory wheels and was forest green metallic :barf if anyone of you guys find a clean Targa auto last gen supra under 5k pm me immediately and ile even give you a finders fee

hahaha, holy afterthought ramble!

I say sell that f-body while you can!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

@Shredsled there is no goin back on a phone post can't edit or anything without goin to a computer which I'm not at one at the moment but I'm not trying to hijacking this guys thread because this was an amazing build....

@Steepss with that said are you beef up the rear cause they will break pretty easy my dads z car with the tpi 406 sbc and th400 was a stout performer and he'd went thru about 3 different irs setups before giving in to a solid axle due to breakage they are fast fun cars with great handling but I'm just convinced with the troubles he had you may run into worse with a stick car clutch. Dumps wheel hop are rear killer pops was breaking them with an auto with a stall never got to ready hit the squeeze on it until after the 9 inch was installed but in the mid 90s ire technology was not there like it is today maybe a terminator center section or new 9 inch center chunk that available nowadays you may have better luck than he did

But good job building such a wicked z on a budget and best of luck to ya gonna keep checking in on this thread
Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know people running 9's on Datsun IRS rears.

Datsun made a couple of different options that can be bolted in. If you run an R200 with some form of LSD it will easily tolerate 500 HP full throttle dumps. Run an R180 open diff (like came in most Z's) and the spider gears can burn up in short order.

I have an LSD R200 with 300ZX CV half shafts and in all honesty the only thing I worry about is the 1310 U joint I had to use at the back of the drive shaft.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

Datsun made a couple of different options that can be bolted in. If you run an R200 with some form of LSD it will easily tolerate 500 HP full throttle dumps. Run an R180 open diff (like came in most Z's) and the spider gears can burn up in short order.

I have an LSD R200 with 300ZX CV half shafts and in all honesty the only thing I worry about is the 1310 U joint I had to use at the back of the drive shaft.
Thanks.

The rest....

Ever heard the saying "different strokes for different folks" ?

.... well i'm tired of seeing 10,000 cars just like mine. God forbid there be a little originality in this world. You do your thing, I'll do mine.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

Don't a lot of people put in a diff/axles from an Infiniti ___? Can't remember the model.... Or is that the same as the R200 that came in some Z's already?

I remember vaguely reading about it on that Arizona Z car website, damn they make some trick stuff for these S30's I've been drooling over...
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShredSled
a lot of people put in a diff / axles from an Infiniti Q45 or 300zx TT
indeed
Old 01-25-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ah there we go, fillin' in the blanks, thanks!

oh, and just curious, are you by chance going to weld in some of those bad dog or similar frame rail reinforcements to hold the extra torque output?

Quick Reply: 78 Datsun 280z-------------> 5.3 Build