Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy with lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with lots of questions

I've got a '72 Nova with a 327 and a 4 speed.
I want to swap a 5.3/4L60.
Which motor plates and oil pan go in with the least amount of trouble?
Can I use the radiator I have.
I'll start off small with the questions so I can focus on just a few things at a time.
Attached Thumbnails New guy with lots of questions-my-other-baby-2.jpg  
Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would imagine an fbody oil pan would tuck up the most of any of them.

I am going to run a fbody pan on my 91 foxbody swap
Old 12-05-2010, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

F body pan does work fine but does sit a little low. I don't know If they make a shorter pan.
I have a local guy here that sells motor mount plates on ebay that work just fine. Let me know if your needing a set.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Nova clip in my Studebaker and used one of the modified F-body pans from Street and Performance. Depends on which motor mount plates you use and how far back you mount your engine. Using the original style S&P plates or copies of them, the stock FBody fan will have clearance issues with the steering. Since you are just starting out, I suggest you read the through the stickys at the top of the page. Most of the question you will have are asked and answered up there. You will learn a lot about what others have done and how they solved challenges. Your Nova subframe is the same as a 67-69 first generation Camaro, so stuff related to them will work for you too.

Good luck with your swap

Pat
Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Teching In

A stock f-body pan will not work unless you cut a huge notch in the subframe/pan. I had a lh8/hummer pan on my 70 nova and it cleared everything o.k., but hung down way to far in the back. I am now running a autokraft fabbed pan and it looks like a good piece. The motor plates depend on what trans you are running. I ran 1 inch set back plates-keeps trans in stock location, but it puts the engine into the firewall hard and you can not run the heater hoses unless you have a big block heater box. I would run the standard plates and move the trans up 1 inch.

Last edited by gmjohnson69; 12-07-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Now when you say the LH8 pan hangs low, how low are we talkin?
Are these cars lowered? My car is at stock ride height.
I have my firewall clearanced about 1" to make plenty of room for the HEI and I eliminated the heater box alltogether. I planned to go with a Vintage Air type of setup in the future but I think the LS swap needs to happen first.
Will setting the engine back 1" give me grief with the exhaust?
Stu, I started to read through but there is a lot there and some of the threads tend to get hijacked or off subject. I have learned a lot though it makes me want to ask more questions.
Gmjohnson69 where did you source the plates. I've read a few threads on here where guys had a bunch of fitment problems. Can I use the crossmember stands and motor mounts I have? I'm still undecided on what trans to run, I like the manual but the auto seems like less trouble.
Any thoughts on the radiator? I don't have any cooling issues now. I'd like to re-use as much as I can. I'm trying to stay on a budget. Trying...

Last edited by Furball; 12-06-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there are several first gen camaro swap threads on here, and as far as the swap is concerned, its all the same. I have detailed my swap and 67rsss has a great write up as well, it should answer a number of questions for ya.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Would you say it was worth the trouble?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Click the x-body link in my signature for plenty of examples of how you can do this swap. There is a lot to learn, but if you read through a few of those threads, you should get some good ideas. I recommend reading frojoe's thread as a primer.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Teching In

My lh8 pan hung down low enough that it would drag on slight dips in the road. My car has stock front coil springs and spindles-it doesn't sit that low at all-15 inch wheels. You will not be happy with the lh8 pan. You can use a f-body pan, but it will need to have a notch cut in it-if you can weld aluminum. The autokraft pan is expensive, but it is a nice piece. I can give you a guys paypal address for the motor plates. I would use the standard plates, not the 1 inch set back plates. I used the 1 inch set back plates and had to cut both heater core outlets flush to the firewall to get it to fit-I'm not running a heater. The set back plates will allow you to keep the trans in the stock location-but crams the engine to the firewall-the pass. side head is right up against the heater hose outlets. Some guys use a factory big block heater set up that moves the heater core outlets to the pass. side for plenty of clearance. Using the standard plates, it will bring the engine and trans forward 1 inch so you will have to make adjustments to your trans x member.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try the RetroLSX pan or two of the new ones coming out from MAST and Hooker (?).. both due out soon or now..!?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Furball
Would you say it was worth the trouble?
absa-friggin-loutely!!! I like it so much i'm looking at a 5.3 swap for my 66 mustang!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Teching In

I had a feeling that was the answer I was going to get!

bczee, What is the retro LSX pan? Is that the LH8 pan?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Furball
bczee, What is the retro LSX pan? Is that the LH8 pan?
yep.. itts better in chevelles than camaros, it will fit, but be lower than a modded f-car pan
Old 12-08-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, it is not the LH8 pan.. Retrolsx pan is the Cast JZMotorworkz one that is marketed by Retrolsx.com

http://www.retrolsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110
Old 12-08-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bczee
No, it is not the LH8 pan.. Retrolsx pan is the Cast JZMotorworkz one that is marketed by Retrolsx.com

http://www.retrolsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110
you are correct.. I had the gm parts muscle car pan on the brain... DOH
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Teching In

The RetroLSX pan is a nice piece but still seems a little pricey although I have just started researching this stuff so how much for an F-body pan? I can mod it myself.

Anybody used the Trans-Dapt motor plates?

Will the truck 5.3 computer controll the 4L60E as well?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a truck computer will control a 4l60e, they came with them from the factory. f body pan is whatever you can find one for, i've seen them from 50 bux on up, 50 was a great deal.
or you can get a new one, try gmpartsdirect.

Quick Reply: New guy with lots of questions