Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great conversation here!!!

my new wife(I say new, but we've been together for 8 yrs, and the 2 cars were a big topic before we even dated seriously) she didn't bat a eye when I ordered the new sub!!

T- I've come and gone before the tourista's come for the lift off part of launch! we do our stows in the orbiter and then were gone!!!

but more on that in my thread!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried to get my wife into hobby so she would be occupied and feel guilty for spending some money but no can do. She likes life simple. I wish at times I could be like that, oh well!

Tango thats great to hear on the 29 years! I am at 18 years myself. Steve you might as well say you have been married for the past 8 years. My wife has dealt with a lot being married to me between cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATV's, R/C cars, go karts, dirt bikes and such. As long as I keep my dingle-ling in my pants she deals with all of the other stuff rather well. We try not to let money come in between us and focus on the real issues in life. She is a pretty cool gal. Bitchy but cool!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear ya,

I forgot to mention she wants a 74 Road Runner auto with A/C, red with white stripes, one stopped her dead in her tracks in Daytona, she replied with "I like that, I want one of those!"
Old 04-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

message to all of the body shops, junk yards, speed shops etc. if you really want to get the guys in there, don't hire the girls at the counter that our wives have to "compete" with. There needs to be a girl there, just in moderation. then put in a nice bathroom, cause that's always the excuse i get why we have to leave, a comfy nice chair and a t.v. would help. i used to feel guilty when she said " i'll just wait in the truck" when it's 120 here in az. but got over that. yep if you can get her interested, good for you, but if you can't you have to be clever.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

LS68 I am with you on that. There needs to be a place that is half speed shop and half beauty shop of some sort. Or nail place or spa hell throw in a strip club for women next to my parts place. I dont care where the appetite comes from as long as she comes home for dinner!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tsnow...did you ever find your brake fitting "T" with the bolt through it? Where you see those a lot is on the rear differential. Many manufacturers use them there to take the rear brake line from the master cylinder (proportioning valve) and split it to each side.

You know, with all your mad skills at fabricating...if I were you, I would do something about that horrid alternator mount GM has there. Doesn't that look out of place to you all stuck up and out like that? Maybe you could fab something that would mount it closer to the cylinder head...especially since it doesn't appear you are using the power steering. Maybe you can't make it work...but the factory set up there just looks out of place with everything else you've done.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
I have tried to get my wife into hobby so she would be occupied and feel guilty for spending some money but no can do. She likes life simple. I wish at times I could be like that, oh well!
I used to have the same problem with a frugal/hobbyless wife, but then we had our baby and life changed: now she spends half her day looking at strollers, toys, diaper bags, slings, and whatever else she can think of that might be "fun" for her and the baby. It's become a double edged sword: on one side, she is constantly seeking approval to buy expensive (often non-essential) baby items, giving me the guilt-ammo I need for buying car parts, and on the other hand all the spending on the baby leaves less for my toys. Funny how life works! All in all though my wife keeps me grounded and if it weren't for her we wouldn't have some of the "things" in life that really make me happy: a nice home, a good safety net, and still more parts and tools than I have time to do what I'd like with. [/rant]
Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

I used the shock and awe treatment on my wife. You should have seen the look on her face when the wrecker dropped that smashed van in our back yard and I told her I was going to fix it into our next family hauler. She was then very happy to later find out what I was up to.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol,I bet she loved that
Old 05-03-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
tsnow...did you ever find your brake fitting "T" with the bolt through it? Where you see those a lot is on the rear differential. Many manufacturers use them there to take the rear brake line from the master cylinder (proportioning valve) and split it to each side.

You know, with all your mad skills at fabricating...if I were you, I would do something about that horrid alternator mount GM has there. Doesn't that look out of place to you all stuck up and out like that? Maybe you could fab something that would mount it closer to the cylinder head...especially since it doesn't appear you are using the power steering. Maybe you can't make it work...but the factory set up there just looks out of place with everything else you've done.
The problem with the rear end fitting is the flex hose made into it. I went to the restoration shop and browsed through most GM models and all of them had the stupid rubber hose.

I appreciate the comment on the skills but I had to have a bracket for the alternator and didnt want to use the truck bracket. I was going to try a Kwik bracket but they are made similar to the one I have and for more money. I couldnt use the F-body bracket for fear of it hitting the frame and I didnt want to start drilling into my block. My plans are to get another engine and mock me up a bracket system similar to the Vintage Air frontrunner setup. I just need to get this car moving again. Life is busy at the moment and isnt slowing down no time soon. When time allows I will post of some progress on the bracketry. The only real issue I have with the Corvette bracket is it does sit pretty far off to one side. I did put the clutch pulley alternator on it to help with the harmonics in the belt drive system. I will try to do better soon.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I used to have the same problem with a frugal/hobbyless wife, but then we had our baby and life changed: now she spends half her day looking at strollers, toys, diaper bags, slings, and whatever else she can think of that might be "fun" for her and the baby. It's become a double edged sword: on one side, she is constantly seeking approval to buy expensive (often non-essential) baby items, giving me the guilt-ammo I need for buying car parts, and on the other hand all the spending on the baby leaves less for my toys. Funny how life works! All in all though my wife keeps me grounded and if it weren't for her we wouldn't have some of the "things" in life that really make me happy: a nice home, a good safety net, and still more parts and tools than I have time to do what I'd like with. [/rant]
I am with you there. My wife would be the stable one in my family. Luckily my kids are older and even though items are more expensive for them it seems they are more spread out. My kids are 16 and 13. I never thought they would ever get to teenage years but now there here where did the time go. My car is only a want and so its treated as such. If my wife only knew how much is sitting out there in her garage space she would prolly faint.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
I used the shock and awe treatment on my wife. You should have seen the look on her face when the wrecker dropped that smashed van in our back yard and I told her I was going to fix it into our next family hauler. She was then very happy to later find out what I was up to.
Thats awesome! You sound alot like me. I did the same thing to my daughter not long ago with a car I bought to resale. I told her it was hers and I was going to bling it out for her. Boy was she pissed. I let her think on that one for a day or so. And then we had a talk about what was important in life. Maybe it worked maybe not.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Thats awesome! You sound alot like me. I did the same thing to my daughter not long ago with a car I bought to resale. I told her it was hers and I was going to bling it out for her. Boy was she pissed. I let her think on that one for a day or so. And then we had a talk about what was important in life. Maybe it worked maybe not.
Ha! That is classic. It reminds me of this joke where a girl leaves a note to her parents saying she is running away with a crack head to live in a trailer to make ****, then she says just kidding, I failed my biology test.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Ha! That is classic. It reminds me of this joke where a girl leaves a note to her parents saying she is running away with a crack head to live in a trailer to make ****, then she says just kidding, I failed my biology test.
If my daughter left that note I would die! That is way too creative for a female to do! Just kiddin ladies!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Alright I had an hour yesterday to play with so I decided to do a little work on the Camaro. I had a couple of choices, install the under the dash harness, wire in the engine, wire in the engine compartment for the engine harness, or try to blow up my fuel tank. I decided to go ahead and end my life. Well not really as I am writing this post. I have avoided the gas tank like a plauge but the time has come. I didnt want my wife to cash out on my insurance so I filled the tank up with water to the brim. I started of using the zip wheel which didnt last very long cutting water as it was softening the disc. So the handy dandy reciprocating saw was used with a fine tooth bi-metal blade. What a pain in the *** that was. I would have been better off using the saber saw as it takes little strokes sort of like myself. I used making tape to mark off the area to be cut as pencil or marker would have been a chore to see. I got it as square as possible thanks to Firstgenguy for sending me his templates on the exact modification. Its actually his idea and has worked successfully for him for years.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-03-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Another angle=

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

This is the bracket that will hold the fuel pump assembly to the bottom of the tank. I did however modify this template a little to get more contact surface for the solder to adhere to. Still used the exact dimensions from Firstgenguy just added feet. I also shortened it a little so the pump assembly sit lower to the bottom of the tank. There are rubber feet on the pump that will not allow it suck to the bottom of the tank.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Pic of how it looks on the pump assembly.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

It looks like *** but it is rock solid. I cleaned the bottom of the tank and the bracket. I then applied a thin layer of flux to both where the solder will take a hold. I heated it with a handheld propane torch and fed the solder in it thick. I let it cool and tried to move the bracket and it wouldnt budge. It would bend before it even thought about moving. Next will be the lid. I have the metal cut I just need to use the box brake at work when time allows. Then it will be a matter of cutting the hole, adding some studs, and welding it in. Once that is all done the gas tank is going to the radiator shop for a good cleaning and to have a rubber liner applied to the inside. This will prevent any pourous welds from leaking and to reassure me that no corrosion will enter into my fuel system. Cheap insurance!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Launching!

i have to agree that our wives do play a role in keeping us grounded. without my wife the floor in the dining room would have floor dry in the corners, the sink would stink like carb cleaner and the oven would have powder coat stuck to the racks. i get mad as hell when she puts her foot down, but i love having a house that is nice to come into. guess it's that whole can't live with 'em but can't live without 'em. Still have a dream to have the whole bat cave thing work on the front of the house so i could have my bikes in the living room.

congrats on the new baby bandit.
snow- i have 3 girls 21-17-13. that note wouldn't even make the top ten now!!! you'll see.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro