Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmf5150
You should be proud!!the car turned out great!!i made mistakes along the way to!!
Thanks Stan! Some of the mistakes I made were from the fact I was on a budget along with the swap was a little overwhelming at times which caused me to rush through portions of it. That and the availability of parts were few and far between. Look at all the products that are readily available now versus two years ago. If I were to ever swap another engine, things would go so much smoother. I think I am going to leave the Camaro just like she is and drive it for awhile. Have you driven yours much since the brake swap? How is Katelynn?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She is great ,getting big!!very true about parts!if I had to do it all over I would not bought the used ls1 I bought,I just would have gotten a long block from Texas speed!also I would have never used stock harness and computer,Holley EFI all the way!!oh well,live and learn!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Great job man!
The videos are great and they give me hope that I will be driving mine soon..lol
Im glad that gas tank worked out for you. I need to get busy and put mine together.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sako
Great job man!
The videos are great and they give me hope that I will be driving mine soon..lol
Im glad that gas tank worked out for you. I need to get busy and put mine together.
Thanks Sako! You will be up and running in no time. The gas tank worked out great and no more fuel starvation. I am down to a quarter of a tank and do not see any lose in performance even under hard launches.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I gotta admit, I can't keep up with your thread. You have SO MANY posts here. Everyone enjoys your build and chatting with you - you're just a good guy to blog with. Thanks for all you've contributed to this community! Sorry for all the times I have and will continue to miss things. I am going to put an email in with Tanks Inc to ask about the Nova application with a good ol' fashion Walbro to keep costs down. I am thinking about their regular drop-in assembly if I can't get something like that, but think what you bought would keep a larger reserve around the pickup for autocross stuff.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I gotta admit, I can't keep up with your thread. You have SO MANY posts here. Everyone enjoys your build and chatting with you - you're just a good guy to blog with. Thanks for all you've contributed to this community! Sorry for all the times I have and will continue to miss things. I am going to put an email in with Tanks Inc to ask about the Nova application with a good ol' fashion Walbro to keep costs down. I am thinking about their regular drop-in assembly if I can't get something like that, but think what you bought would keep a larger reserve around the pickup for autocross stuff.
I recently contacted Tanks about a Nova fuel injected tank for a fellow LS1tech'r and Tanks replied they were planning on making one for the Novas but they couldn't give an ETA. No worries on the thread as I tend to ramble on for days. I am waiting in anticipation for your engine to get back home and get its final resting place. You will thoroughly enjoy the added power and driveability! Its amazing that the engine I currently have idles so midly but yet has approximately 200 extra crank horsepower and at least that in torque over the 327. One thing I didn't realize until last Wednesday, LS engines prefer around 27 degrees of total timing versus 38-40 I used to run with the SBC. The heads of the LS are that much more efficient over the SBC, amazing!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Great build there Tony, and thanks for providing so much detail which can only assist anyone trying to do a swap. By the way, I'm getting used to my hugger orange, but as I mentioned before, you still have my favorite color on a '69.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by i1aroc
Great build there Tony, and thanks for providing so much detail which can only assist anyone trying to do a swap. By the way, I'm getting used to my hugger orange, but as I mentioned before, you still have my favorite color on a '69.
Thanks i1aroc! You still have my favorite color of a 69! My first 69 was hugger orange with black stripes, man I miss her!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by i1aroc

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Thanks i1aroc! You still have my favorite color of a 69! My first 69 was hugger orange with black stripes, man I miss her!
Sounds like you guys should have built each other's project car.

Bill B.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Well I put my trust in the 69 this past weekend to get me to the beach and back with good news to report. The wife and I left on Thursday to celebrate 19 years of marriage and man what a weekend! I logged in around 700 miles without a hitch. Met some good people and was paid a ton of compliments along the way. Anyone considering this swap should go for it! 19.62 miles per gallon on the way down, 6th gear most the way. No one ever pulled up beside me to test her out. I hit 500 stop lights and every time its some grandma in a Camry or mini-van. Did leave my boss some nice black marks in front of his house upon his request, thats about as exiciting as it got. Almost **** my pants today though, running 81mph in a 65 zone looked in my rear view and its a Dodge Charger with the blue lights on right on my ***. I got over and he blew on by, ppphhhhheeewww!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you're out enjoying your car Tony, and congrats on making it 19 years with an extremely tolerant woman....LOL. How do I know your wife is tolerant? I have one too!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Gary! Yes the poor wives! I sat back and looked at my wife this weekend and just smiled thinking about all of the crap I have put her through with my hobbies and yet she still comes back for more, sort of like a good dog would LOL!!!

The only issue I have with my setup engine wise is the inherent lifter noise. I don't have my firewall insulated and sealed as it should be but I can hear the ticking. Drives me nuts! Sounds like a solid lift cam almost. It isn't getting worse and it seems to be consistent front to back side to side. I have brand new LS7 lifters, plenty of preload, and a Comp Cam profile. Does anyone else experience the same noise? I know of a few that do but whats the verdict? I have been told it is common with larger cams in these engines. Mine has .631"/.657" lift so to me thats rather large. She runs like a top, oil pressure is steady. 90 degrees outside, engine ran for a few hours down the road, at idle she is holding 34-36psi. Cruising in 6th at 70mph turning 1,600rpms its a steady 40-42psi. The noise is most noticeable at idle and unsure if it is present above idle cruising. She revs like a mother and pulls like a beast. Guess I listen to my engine too closely and should just overlook it but would like to hear from others to see if its isolated to my car or common, anyone?

Last edited by tsnow678; 09-23-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Glad to here good stories with people that has done the swap! I am well on to my way to getting mine on the road...should be receiving my trans from Tick wensday I believe...I have the LS2 sitting where she belongs,what gears are you running? I havent decided what gears to run or really put alot of thought in it...right now I have the 12 bolt but 4:56 gears
Old 09-24-2012, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tigerhays
Glad to here good stories with people that has done the swap! I am well on to my way to getting mine on the road...should be receiving my trans from Tick wensday I believe...I have the LS2 sitting where she belongs,what gears are you running? I havent decided what gears to run or really put alot of thought in it...right now I have the 12 bolt but 4:56 gears
I am running a 3.42 gear and love it. It tames down 1st gear some and still pulls strong throughout the others. The best part is 70mph=1600rpms with a 26" tall tire. Saves the engine until it's really needed. A 4.56 would be sweet for awhile but the pinion will be screaming at highway speeds. Do you have a 3 or 4 series carrier? I sold a 12 bolt with a 4 series due to the limiting gear selections (3.73 lowest numerical) but at the time I was SBC with a 4 speed. Best of luck to you on your build! Do you have a thread started? Where you located?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Teching In

Having done my serious hot rodding back in the late '70s and early '80s, it just blows me away to hear of a car that's cammed with over .600 lift and that much HP getting right at 20 mpg. That was totally unheard of back in those days. If you had a cam that big back then, you'd better have 5:38 gears in the rear. The new engine technology is such a great thing! I hope my day comes to have an LS engine in my Camaro.

Bill B.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BillB
Having done my serious hot rodding back in the late '70s and early '80s, it just blows me away to hear of a car that's cammed with over .600 lift and that much HP getting right at 20 mpg. That was totally unheard of back in those days. If you had a cam that big back then, you'd better have 5:38 gears in the rear. The new engine technology is such a great thing! I hope my day comes to have an LS engine in my Camaro.

Bill B.
Hopefully that day will come sooner than expected for the LS engine.

The cam I have is rather large and it stilll idles at 950rpms pulling 15 inches of vacuum at idle!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Congrats on the cruise and your 19th anniversary, almost as many as Obama! Lifter noise is loud with my car too. It hasn't changed after 5000 miles of hooligan driving.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
Congrats on the cruise and your 19th anniversary, almost as many as Obama! Lifter noise is loud with my car too. It hasn't changed after 5000 miles of hooligan driving.
Thanks Dan! Glad I am not alone on the lifter noise.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I meant to reply to the lifter noise question when I first read your post Tony, but I was busy at the time and then it just slipped my mind. Anyway, Dan is correct. These LS motors are notorious for valvetrain noise when running any kind of agressive aftermarket cam. Its nothing to be worried about and should be considered "typical" of these motors when modified. Some claim you can quiet it by running a certain lifter preloads (range varies per expert), but I personally believe it's due to the extremely fast ramp rates on these agressive camshafts many of us run in these motors and the "quiet" ones are running less agressive cams. I'm sure there's more to it than that but thats my not-so-expert opinion. Either way, you're not alone with the lifter noise and there's a lot of strong running LS motors out there that have the same noise. Both of my cars sound like sewing machines under the hood....LOL.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:51 AM
Teching In

Default cam

ok,I have my motor sitting in car,I have my tr6060 back from tick! They put on the ssr tail shaft and T56 Magnum mainshaft in it! Time to pull motor back out of car...heres my question,my engine is stock 25xxx miles...my car is going to be a pretty much a jump in it and cruise,go to the car show,run it at the track,run the cones in the big parking lot type car basically do it all have fun with it kind of car! What would some of you sugest for motor upgrades before putting in for last time...
Would you put head studs on?
What lifters springs cam would you think would be best all around?
motor is a stock LS2 from 07 Vette

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro