Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tone,
She sounds KILLER!! Congrats! Now all you need are beefier meats (maybe some 18x9s) to get all that power to the ground! BTW, what exhaust did you go with?? The sound is excellent!.. and let us know the final pwr numbers! Enjoy the hell out of her! You earned it!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tango68ss
Tone,
She sounds KILLER!! Congrats! Now all you need are beefier meats (maybe some 18x9s) to get all that power to the ground! BTW, what exhaust did you go with?? The sound is excellent!.. and let us know the final pwr numbers! Enjoy the hell out of her! You earned it!
Thanks Tango! I agree on the tires but that will have to wait a little while. When I change wheels & tires I am also going to have it mini-tubbed, narrow my 9" rear, and probably a Chris Alston 4-link. The exhaust is a Flowmaster American Thunder series 2-1/2" pipe with two chamber 40 series mufflers.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tony,
Do you think that gas tank will fit a 3rd gen Nova? I do not see Nova listed on tank's Inc web site.
Thanks,
Brandon
Now that I have the car drivable, it is stinking up the garage with great gas fumes. It is also getting in the vents/house. The wife says the car needs to go out or I go out. I may be sleeping in the car unless I can fix the fumes
Old 07-29-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, what size is the fitting you have in the CAI that goes to the PS PCV? I have a 3/8" barb x 1/4" MIP . Is the 1/4" too small? Should I go 3/8"?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crosstraining
Tony,
Do you think that gas tank will fit a 3rd gen Nova? I do not see Nova listed on tank's Inc web site.
Thanks,
Brandon
Now that I have the car drivable, it is stinking up the garage with great gas fumes. It is also getting in the vents/house. The wife says the car needs to go out or I go out. I may be sleeping in the car unless I can fix the fumes
What tank do you have in the Nova now? Did you run braided stainless fuel line? I was told by a reputable source that if you are going to use braided stainless lines to buy the teflon lined hose or gas fumes will seep from the standard braided lines. As did one of his customers and it also stunk up his garage. I find the source of the fumes and fix it. These cars dont sleep all that well, lol! I looked at Tanks website and didn't see a listing for the fuel inj. tank but did find a pic of the carb'd one and it looks like the Nova has a longer spout than the Camaro and I also not sure on the pyhsical dimensions. I sent Tanks an email to see if they are in the works or plan on creating a fuel inj. tank in the near future. I will let you know what they say as soon as the reply.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Also, what size is the fitting you have in the CAI that goes to the PS PCV? I have a 3/8" barb x 1/4" MIP . Is the 1/4" too small? Should I go 3/8"?
I didn't run my PS vent to the CAI. I ran mine to the top of the throttle body(stock configuration). I am also running the newer style LS6 valley cover. This allowed me to loop the vent tube off of it straight to the side of the throttle body. I would think the 1/4" MIP would suffice for the fresh air side but I cannot be for certain. Do you know what the ID of that particular fitting is versus the ID of the PS vent tube? I would think as long as your of equal size you would be ok. A little variance shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good idea, I will measure the ID of both. Thanks for sending that email. It is a stock tank

Originally Posted by tsnow678
What tank do you have in the Nova now? Did you run braided stainless fuel line? I was told by a reputable source that if you are going to use braided stainless lines to buy the teflon lined hose or gas fumes will seep from the standard braided lines. As did one of his customers and it also stunk up his garage. I find the source of the fumes and fix it. These cars dont sleep all that well, lol! I looked at Tanks website and didn't see a listing for the fuel inj. tank but did find a pic of the carb'd one and it looks like the Nova has a longer spout than the Camaro and I also not sure on the pyhsical dimensions. I sent Tanks an email to see if they are in the works or plan on creating a fuel inj. tank in the near future. I will let you know what they say as soon as the reply.
I didn't run my PS vent to the CAI. I ran mine to the top of the throttle body(stock configuration). I am also running the newer style LS6 valley cover. This allowed me to loop the vent tube off of it straight to the side of the throttle body. I would think the 1/4" MIP would suffice for the fresh air side but I cannot be for certain. Do you know what the ID of that particular fitting is versus the ID of the PS vent tube? I would think as long as your of equal size you would be ok. A little variance shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Good idea, I will measure the ID of both. Thanks for sending that email. It is a stock tank
Are you running an external pump? What kind of baffling in the tank?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you running an external pump? What kind of baffling in the tank?
It is a Walbro 255. I don't think there is any baffling in the tank. I did not put any in & I did not think the stock tank's had any.
The day I got home from tuning I took the car for a short drive. I did a U-turn & it died. I also need to check the fuel pressure. Right before we did the tuning we were checking things. The gas did not really spray out of the fuel rail, more of a fast drbble. His fuel pressure gauge would not fit in to check it.
The gas smell is not bad when there is only a few gallons int it, but when I filled it up it got pretty bad. I thought it was from the vent tubes on the tank? I was hoping a new EFI tank would help that.
I have a fan blowing under the car & the garage door a little open & that has helped.
Thanks,
B.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:11 AM
TECH Addict

It is a Walbro 255. I don't think there is any baffling in the tank. I did not put any in & I did not think the stock tank's had any.
The day I got home from tuning I took the car for a short drive. I did a U-turn & it died. I also need to check the fuel pressure. Right before we did the tuning we were checking things. The gas did not really spray out of the fuel rail, more of a fast drbble. His fuel pressure gauge would not fit in to check it.
The gas smell is not bad when there is only a few gallons int it, but when I filled it up it got pretty bad. I thought it was from the vent tubes on the tank? I was hoping a new EFI tank would help that.
I have a fan blowing under the car & the garage door a little open & that has helped.
Thanks,
B.
There is no baffling in stock form. That is probably why it went dead during the u-turn. That will kill the pump. I would definately check the fuel pressure. You may have a leak at the sending unit of the tank or around the base of the filler neck. Both stock tanks I have owned were leaking at the solder joint between the tank and the filler neck. Does you tank have a vented gas cap? I would cap off the vent out of the sender and use the cap only. My cap will allow pressure to build in the tank but not allow a vacuum. I am not using the vent tube on the tank. Not liking the fan exposed to gas fumes and left unattended. Most fans have brushes in the motor which is basically an exposed arc while running. I am not telling you what to do but a friendly suggestion.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations Tony! That stroker sounds great! I like the mild lump to the cam. Great video and one us "loyal followers" have been waiting for. I'm sure you are very happy with the car. Also, I'm glad that the Tanks Inc. unit worked out for you. That seems like a reasonable solution the the tank problem many of us first gen swappers have been facing. Big Thumbs Up!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MisterD
Congratulations Tony! That stroker sounds great! I like the mild lump to the cam. Great video and one us "loyal followers" have been waiting for. I'm sure you are very happy with the car. Also, I'm glad that the Tanks Inc. unit worked out for you. That seems like a reasonable solution the the tank problem many of us first gen swappers have been facing. Big Thumbs Up!!!
Thanks Mister D!!! Going Wednesday for the (hopefully)final dyno tune! As soon as I get the final numbers and a graph I will post them. I will also post the video. Yeah I like the Tanks tank so far anyways. I haven't really put it through its paces yet. Now I have a fuel level gauge that works I will have to test it out.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tango! I agree on the tires but that will have to wait a little while. When I change wheels & tires I am also going to have it mini-tubbed, narrow my 9" rear, and probably a Chris Alston 4-link. The exhaust is a Flowmaster American Thunder series 2-1/2" pipe with two chamber 40 series mufflers.
Unless I'm mistaken, you'll have to go to a narrower fuel tank at that time as well. Every time I think about the mini-tub, I have to remind myself that it also means another tank. Always more $$$ to spend...

Bill B.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BillB
Unless I'm mistaken, you'll have to go to a narrower fuel tank at that time as well. Every time I think about the mini-tub, I have to remind myself that it also means another tank. Always more $$$ to spend...

Bill B.
The money is the key element! Probably the main reason I have stock suspension front to back. If I ever get into autocrossing or dedicated drag racing then maybe just maybe I will be willing to turn loose of some that green to make it happen. And yes a narrower tank would be required.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats if you stay with leaf spring, ditch the buggy bouncin wash board ridin, stagecoach handling, leafs and you can stay with a big tank,

just kidding about the springs, I'm just saying all that cause thats how my Nova rode when I changed over to a drag based leaf with tuned slapper bars,
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Steve68
Thats if you stay with leaf spring, ditch the buggy bouncin wash board ridin, stagecoach handling, leafs and you can stay with a big tank,

just kidding about the springs, I'm just saying all that cause thats how my Nova rode when I changed over to a drag based leaf with tuned slapper bars,
I had the Competition Engineering j-hook traction bars preloaded and it rode like a buggy. I am in stock form without any traction device and it rides sooo much better. It would ride even better if my subframe wasn't tied in but thats the price you pay for higher structural strength.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Waiting anxiously for tomorrow to come. Hoping it will be my final dyno session for a while. Fingers crossed to hit the 500rwhp mark! I don't think fuel pressure will be a concern so we will see what happens.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good Luck & have fun!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the Competition Engineering j-hook traction bars preloaded and it rode like a buggy. I am in stock form without any traction device and it rides sooo much better. It would ride even better if my subframe wasn't tied in but thats the price you pay for higher structural strength.
Thought you'd like that description!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Video of the final dyno run @ PCMforLess tuned by Alvin Anderson. As soon as I get the graph emailed to me I will post it. Max power is 471rwhp @ 5,700-6,200rpms and max torque is 450 peaked at 4,600-5,300rpms. The fuel pressure was a constant 58-60psi. Temps were at 95 degrees. At 3,200 she was over 400ft/lbs of torque and climbing. The torque started to fall below 400 at 6,200rpms. Nice flat torque curve!!!

http://youtu.be/KT0UAs_Sk8A

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro