Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dan and Gary for the reassurance on the lifter noise!

Tigerhays= I would pull the oil pan, replace the rod bolts with the Kaetechs, new oil pump and oring at the tube, and basically give everything the once over. When the rod caps are off, check for wear in the bearing. you might even go as far as pull a main cap off to check a bearing. I am assuming the LS2 has he upgraded timing chain already? As far as cam selection, Dan has had real good luck with a Venegence cam. I am running new LS7 lifters with Patriot Extreme .660" springs but I am also at .657" lift on the exhaust. If you go with a milder cam you can upgrade the beehives with an aftermarket set and should be fine. I wouldn't put head studs or bolts in unless you need to pull the heads. Seems like your heads are fine just like they are. I am running ARP head bolts, which are reusable. If you do pull the heads, make sure on reassembly you blow out all of the bolt holes real good as they are blind. Hows the tranny look? Tick is only 30 minutes from my house. Glad to hear you are well on your way. You have the thread started yet?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know how to start the threads really,so I kind of just tag along on others....
Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony, they are dead on with the lifter noise. It is most definitely a by product of camshaft ramp designs. These lobe designs these days are simply amazing. You could put some god-awful springs on the car and help some, but why? It's not hurting anything the way it is and I still don't believe it would cure it. I have set lifter preload all over the chart and never eliminated it...but you can minimize it. But you have to measure the preload correctly, and not use "turns after zero lash". Measure the damn thing...don't guess! I believe using a high pressure oil pump can help some as well with these big sticks. If you listen closely to a true factory LS6 in a Z06 or CTS-V, you can hear a faint lifter noise...so even that cam is starting to exhibit the trait. Just turn up the radio!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tigerhays
I dont know how to start the threads really,so I kind of just tag along on others....
If you would like me to walk you through it I can. Let me know and I will shoot you my number.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

OldCobraGuy= Thanks for the information. I wonder how you would set adjustable rocker arms with all of the noise without measuring each one for proper preload? I second the turning up the radio or rolling the windows down and listen to the sweet sound coming out of the exhaust.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Time for some sticky tires and a pass!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by futureuser
Time for some sticky tires and a pass!
I approve of this message.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have that sewing machine sound from my valve train,but I'm told that common!i need to pull my valve covers off and do the truinion upgrade for my rockers !!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

I'm gonna do it next year.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I have that sewing machine sound from my valve train,but I'm told that common!i need to pull my valve covers off and do the truinion upgrade for my rockers !!
Check these out! I may just go with the Yella's when the time is right. A few advantages over stock, less friction at the valve tip, no need to upgrade the bearings and the shaft mounted assembly seems to add more stability to the valvetrain. Still non-adjustable though, so a quick check of the geometry is still needed. Not too bad in price, especially if you were to have to buy a set of stock rockers and an upgrade for the trunions. Sucks for me but hey I have thrown more money than that away, damn!

Link:
http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-924...stock-now.aspx
Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tsnow678
OldCobraGuy= Thanks for the information. I wonder how you would set adjustable rocker arms with all of the noise without measuring each one for proper preload? I second the turning up the radio or rolling the windows down and listen to the sweet sound coming out of the exhaust.
Tony, the best looking set of adjustable rockers I've seen are made by Lunati (IIRC). They don't adjust the rocker on the stud, but adjust the push rod cup instead. This means you torque the rocker down like a factory piece and essentially change the push rod length by moving the cup in the rocker. They aren't cheap...but they sure look good to me and should allow the proper geometry much easier than the traditional method.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
Tony, the best looking set of adjustable rockers I've seen are made by Lunati (IIRC). They don't adjust the rocker on the stud, but adjust the push rod cup instead. This means you torque the rocker down like a factory piece and essentially change the push rod length by moving the cup in the rocker. They aren't cheap...but they sure look good to me and should allow the proper geometry much easier than the traditional method.
I went to Lunati, Comp, Crane, etc and didn't see anything like the above mentioned. I did see where Comp has a new product that has or appears to have the adjustment at the pushrod cup. The only other one is the T&D version. I went to both of the websites and didn't see anything mentioned either. But like you stated, they are expensive. But they are nice!!! I may not buy anything right now and just wait to see what will be available 6 months down the road. The current path GM is taking is the L92/LS3 headed LS so I know the longer they build them the more goodies the aftermarket companies will come up with. Thanks for sending me down the right path though.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't researched aftermarket roller rockers for LS motors for a couple years, but I can tell you when I did look into them, my overall conclusion was that they really weren't worth it for a lot of non-exotic street-strip applications. What I found at the time was that most were a little too heavy over the nose compared to a stock rocker and actually caused some valve control issues rather than solving them. Nothing even heavier valve springs couldn't help combat I guess, but at some point enough is enough on a street driven, hydraulic roller motor. I think the Yella Terra Ultralights were designed to address that specific "weight over the valve" problem.

It also seemed (based on dyno tests I saw) that gains from the added valvetrain stability from some of the shaft mount offerings was only realized at extremely high RPM.....something well north of 7K IIRC. From my research at the time (this may have just been my impression) it seemed that more of the really fast "budget-minded" (read not sponsored) "fast" guys were still running stock rockers with the the trunion upgrades.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't researched this stuff for a few years so things may have changed. Plus I only looked into roller rockers I could afford.......LOL (No T&D shaftmounts were considered or harmed during this research).
Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Point well taken Gary! But they are so pretty, lol! I think I am focusing my attention on a plasma cutter at this point. Yeah I know sporadic, right? I have this old truck that needs some attention and a plasma will surely do the trick. Along with the other tools I have already, a plasma will fit right in. I was on the fence between a TIG or Plasma and since I barely can weld with a MIG I am going with a plasma.

Anyone going to the Good Guys show in Charlotte the end of the month???
Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Do some more research on the Yella Terra's I've read they had some issues with the rockers breaking at tip? I don't know if it was a bad batch or a ongoing problem?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Lizeec! I am going to leave her as is for now but I do appreciate the information.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

No Problem, just do a Google search on "broken yella terra" and you will see alot of failures, I dont know if they have resolved the failures.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

man my eyes are hurting from reading this thread there is so much useful information on here this is exactly what ppl like myself need. im really impressed with the work you done with that being said i need your address im gonna send you these to get started since your on a roll lol
Attached Thumbnails LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-2012-11-14_21-00-17_314.jpg   LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-2012-11-14_21-00-47_715.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Weircc! You can send that '71 over anytime you wish! I have a few updates to share over the next week or so. Is there any chance you will start a build thread on the swap? If you decide to, shoot me a PM so I can subscribe.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

i have been collecting parts for awhile headers,heads,intake etc.... lots of little stuff also the ls swap is just so over whelming so many little things such as wiring and sensors lol. its like every time i go to get something there are 5 different types lol im like wtf!! but once i get going i should manage. you say more updates man i couldnt imagine you doing anything else but cant wait to see what they are....

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro