TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Thanks Gary!!

I didn't measure how far the piston are out of the hole. If I was a guessing man, I would say .020". I am using stock GM L92/LS3 MLS head gaskets. I believe they have a compressed thickness of .051". I would say the machine shop just squared up the top of the block.
Jonathan @ Tick Performance said I should be in the 11.25-11.5:1
Thats cool. It should be a real thumper then! This thing is going to be a blast to drive with a six-speed!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

Tony, you could build you some spacers for those covers. Also, you might look into welding cross braces in them from one side to the other. Incorporate those braces into the spacers. You have some mad fab skills...you might give that a try. It wouldn't have to be much of a weld to permanently hold things in place.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sucks *** about the valve covers, but it looks good.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree on the valve covers, that sucks im sure you paid good money for those and it sounds like they are probably only worth their weight in aluminum. You shouldn't have to weld and re-engineer them to work after paying that kind of money.

I have found that about 50% of this high dollar LS swap stuff is junk as far as fit and finish goes, and anybody with half decent skills can build and design better stuff out of their own garage. It pisses me off when I spend the good money like I did on headers and find that those shiny nice looking $700.00 headers don't fit worth a damn and I still have to dimple them in several spots to make them fit.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send em back and get your money back. I think other valve covers will work too besides the LY6 or LS3. Pretty sure almost any late model set will work, although the oil cap is different on the gen 4. When I replaced my busted valve cover on my LY6, I think I got my replacement from a later ls1 and it matched on the drivers side. What happened to your other valve covers? Not enough bling?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
Tony, you could build you some spacers for those covers. Also, you might look into welding cross braces in them from one side to the other. Incorporate those braces into the spacers. You have some mad fab skills...you might give that a try. It wouldn't have to be much of a weld to permanently hold things in place.
I have the clearance top to bottom and side to side, its the weak rail that is giving me a fit. The cross brace is a great idea, thanks! I think I have talked myself out of using them and will go with a stock valve cover. Hard to duplicate a factory piece.

bmf5150=Looks great!!!!

Thanks BMF!!!

GC99TA=Thats cool. It should be a real thumper then! This thing is going to be a blast to drive with a six-speed!

I hope your right!!!

chuckd71=Sucks *** about the valve covers, but it looks good.

Thanks and I agree about the sucks *** part!!!

Lizeec=I agree on the valve covers, that sucks im sure you paid good money for those and it sounds like they are probably only worth their weight in aluminum. You shouldn't have to weld and re-engineer them to work after paying that kind of money.

I actually got a "good deal" on them, lol!!! Penny pinching Tony strikes again. One day I will learn, prolly not!! I agree, you shouldn't have to modify anything to make them work. If there is modifications needed then it should have been mentioned on the item description prior to the sale.

Futureuser=What happened to your other valve covers? Not enough bling?

Lol!!! Yeah you know me, I like the flash, not!!! The stock valve covers were for catherdral port heads and the right sides baffle was hitting the offset rocker arms. I cut it back to clear and when I did it is causing unwanted oil to enter my intake tract. There was a build up of oil at the seals in the intake. I guess I could block off the vent on the passenger side, use the LS6 valley to pull a positive vent and put a breather on the oil fill cap. HHHHmmm you might have giving me an idea. Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love the look of those valve covers,sucks they leak
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Ok moving forward from the inferior valve covers. I am going to capitolize on the LS6 valley cover so blocking the PCV port on the left hand side valve cover is a must. I called my local Chevrolet dealer today and they dont stock the PCV block off plug so I improvised. let me know what you think.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Well I drank several beers and busted my *** to get this engine back to where it began and this is where I am at. I need to add oil, top of the radiator, plumb my new PCV routing and hit the key!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

408 is in and almost ready to fire up!!! Cant wait till tomorrow!!! After all of the under carrage **** was taken care of the top end was easy. Literally everything is done but a few odds and ends and hit the key and away we go. hopefully everything is good with the short block. Check for leaks and take her down the road.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Oh yeah I have to mount the PCM and install the battery!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

Oh crap! Are you still coming to ATL? The booger is going to get smoked! I'm going to need some squeeze.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn dude! You've been gettin after it! And that plug.....did you make that? If so, you've got skills! Hell...even if you didn't make it you've still got skills.

I'm sure you know we'll be expecting a start up vid and black marks, right? Ok......I guess I can give you a week to break it in before the black marks.......but a start up vid is mandatory.....LOL. Congrats man...I know you are stoked!

EDIT: I just thought of something. What injectors are you running? Did the guys at Tick recommend an upgrade or were you already running large enough ones?

Last edited by GC99TA; 03-13-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a great plug.. you going to sell me one !.. Is that the OEM Gromet ?. if not, might be nice to add a groove for a O-Ring !

Keep the posts coming !

BC
Old 03-13-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
Oh crap! Are you still coming to ATL? The booger is going to get smoked! I'm going to need some squeeze.
The booger is safe by all means! I was told to put 1000 miles on it before getting down on it.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Damn dude! You've been gettin after it! And that plug.....did you make that? If so, you've got skills! Hell...even if you didn't make it you've still got skills.

I'm sure you know we'll be expecting a start up vid and black marks, right? Ok......I guess I can give you a week to break it in before the black marks.......but a start up vid is mandatory.....LOL. Congrats man...I know you are stoked!

EDIT: I just thought of something. What injectors are you running? Did the guys at Tick recommend an upgrade or were you already running large enough ones?
Yeah I made it out from a sketch I drew up at work. Good ol' 13" south bend lathe I have at the house. I will try to get a start up vid tomorrow. I am running th 42 lb/hr LS3 injectors. They should suffice. I had PCMforless do a startup tune on the PCM before I left Mooresville.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bczee
That is a great plug.. you going to sell me one !.. Is that the OEM Gromet ?. if not, might be nice to add a groove for a O-Ring !

Keep the posts coming !

BC
Thanks bczee!!! Yeah stock grommet in the valve cover.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Yeah I made it out from a sketch I drew up at work. Good ol' 13" south bend lathe I have at the house. I will try to get a start up vid tomorrow. I am running th 42 lb/hr LS3 injectors. They should suffice. I had PCMforless do a startup tune on the PCM before I left Mooresville.
Very cool! I wish I could do that kind of work. Yeah, 42 pounders will be plenty I'm sure. I had no idea the factory LS3 injectors were that large. You should be all set!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

HEY tony i tried to call you!!!!
question for you or how ever can answer it....
what angle is on you engine tranny drive shaft...
im getting different stories on where it should be..

some say 0-1 degree which causes you to cut your tunnel..
some say 3-5 degree which is the stock 1st gen angle?
0-1 claim the 3-5 will cause vibration
3-5 claim that 0-1 will cause vibration and cearing wear

both say it will cause a vibration... what are you using.....
and did you have to cut your tunnel
and do you get any vibration above 70 mph.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I set mine at like 4 degrees and I had no issues!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by game-over
HEY tony i tried to call you!!!!
question for you or how ever can answer it....
what angle is on you engine tranny drive shaft...
im getting different stories on where it should be..

some say 0-1 degree which causes you to cut your tunnel..
some say 3-5 degree which is the stock 1st gen angle?
0-1 claim the 3-5 will cause vibration
3-5 claim that 0-1 will cause vibration and cearing wear

both say it will cause a vibration... what are you using.....
and did you have to cut your tunnel
and do you get any vibration above 70 mph.
My engine is tilted back between 3-5 degrees and my pinion angle is pointing towards the ground at 4-5 degrees. I didnt have to cut the tunnel. I have run mine well over 100 and have not had any issues. I have had mine at a constant 75 mph with no sign of vibration or wear and tear. I am running a balanced driveshaft with 1350 yokes on each end. I have seen so many different opinions on this subject. If you own a rear wheel drive car or truck I would just check to see what the factory ran it at. They would be the ones more concerned with vibration if anyone was.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro