Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
You are not going to believe this, but Lowe's here carries an amazing selection of heat shrink for very reasonable prices. A lot cheaper than the auto parts stores. It's not too bad a product either. It's no where near the Motorcraft shrink and seal stuff, but it's very good and as good, if not better, as I've seen from Autozone, etc.
Thanks for the info. I was just at Lowes yesterday and didnt even think about looking for heat shrink there. I usually buy it on the roll so I can cut it to length. Next time I am over there I will check it out.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowes goodies

Speaking of Lowes, I think I read on one of the builds that someone found something similar to Dynamat for sound and heat insulation there. Not sure who or where I read it, but it was supposed to be a lot cheaper. Nice to know that you can save money on some of these things.

Bill B.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I hear ya tsnow,it's not that big of deal to me to change,but if I was starting from scratch that's how I would do it
Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BillB
Speaking of Lowes, I think I read on one of the builds that someone found something similar to Dynamat for sound and heat insulation there. Not sure who or where I read it, but it was supposed to be a lot cheaper. Nice to know that you can save money on some of these things.

Bill B.
It was prolly me that mentioned it. I went to Lowes and went to the roofing section. It is a roll that is like 6 or 8 inches wide and has an asphalt type backing. It is easy to manuever around and works like a champ. I did the entire interior with it. I even run a strip on the inside of the door skins to take away the hollow sound. My doors are rock solid since I did this. It is reasonably priced. I think I ended up using like 3 or 4 rolls.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Yeah I hear ya tsnow,it's not that big of deal to me to change,but if I was starting from scratch that's how I would do it
I hope I didnt come across in a bad way. You have an awesome setup as is and it works and looks great. No doubts on your ability!!! Your faster and better than I am for sure!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tsnow,no I didn't take it as bad!!and i am no way better than any of u guys,ur car is looking great!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Here is a before and after shot of the wiring harness. The after is when I finished extended the harness to locate it in the fender.
None of the wires are in the wire loom yet. I am waiting till it fires up before I make everything nice and tidy. I did locate everything to be free of moving parts and heat.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-28-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Left side shot showing the MAF, Alternator, ETC, TPS, IAC, injectors, and other misc. connections. Nothing fancy but it is free and clear of any obstructions.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Relays and fuses mounted on the firewall.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-28-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

This is the extended blue and green plugs. I added 21" to the blue and 23" to the green since the green will be further away than the blue. I staggered the connections from the blue to green to keep the bulk down to a minimum in case I decide to use the 1" split loom versus 2 runs of 3/4" loom. I was going to run the harness over the inner fender and hide the majority of wires but giving that space is reserved for heater hoses and A/C lines I didnt want to take a chance of future problems. Tomorrow will be a day of mounting the PCM and start wiring in the engine and lighting harness back into the car. I still need to bolt on the starter and wire it in also. Then onto the fuel pump and then its a turn of key and see if itd gonna run.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-29-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great!!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Man it looks great, I was getting nervous about doing my own harness when I saw the pic of the bird nest. But man it came out great, I can't wait to start on mine!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jlay
Man it looks great, I was getting nervous about doing my own harness when I saw the pic of the bird nest. But man it came out great, I can't wait to start on mine!
I wouldnt sweat it! I would like to make a few suggestions though.
1) It makes for cleaner wiring to wire each plug (green-blue or red-blue)individually but it gets confusing trying to locate each sensors wire and location. The sensors share both of these plugs and makes for a pain.
2) buy a labeler and label each wire to its plug and location on that plug. I bought my labeler at Walmart. You will have quite a few wires that are the same color and gauge so labeling is a must unless you are good at knowing exactly where they go.
3) Buy some of the P-clamps with the rubber insulator and hang them along the firewall to keep everything nice and tidy. This way you can get the proper lengths needed to make everything fit.
4) take a roll of electrical tape and slice it from the outside to the center several times around to make short strips. This will speed things up a little rather than have to cut off a short piece you just peel off an already cut strip. I temporarily taped each sensors wire to the last one wired to keep it up out of the way.
5) get a good soldering iron (pencil type)got mine from Walmart its a 25 watt 750 degree iron that works great and it was only $8. Also go by a Radio Shack and get a roll of .050" solder that has a high tin content. $8 also.
I primarily used 18 gauge wire throughout the engine management harness.
6) the guy that initially wired this harness combined almost all of the pink wires into one fat wire that goes to the PCM relay. This simplifies everything and removes a ton of wires.
7) the only wire that goes towards the front of the engine is the crank sensor wires as I routed them down the front and then back to the sensor to keep it away from the headers. Everything else travels along the firewall and branches off from there. The injectors, MAP, MAF, Alt, coils, TPS, IAC and etc. travel along the fuel rails. I dropped the O2 and VSS wires down the back of the engine to also keep them neater and away from any heat source.

There are several ways to wire them in but this is what seemed to work for me. It may not be the best way but so far so good. Of course it has not been tried out yet but as long as the man that unpinned and pinned everything was correct it should. Stay tuned and good luck. If I can be of any help just ask.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great man. You're doing an awesome job! Good for you on not getting in a hurry and rushing things. You'll be SO HAPPY though when it finally fires up! Keep it up.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks GC99TA!

For those of you who are using the Dynatech headers I have a little more news for you. If you install the headers before installing the starter you will need to file or grind some off of the block to get the starter wedged in there. Once in position you have plenty of room but there is a nub that sticks off of the block that has a hole in it that gets in the way while trying to slide the starter in. Also you will need to get a battery cable that has a 90 degree end on it where it connects to the starter.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I skipped a few steps and had to try this thing out. All of this work and I have not yet heard it run until now. This is no ****, I turned the motor over without the fuel pump connected at the relay and got the oil pressure to come up. Once that happened I plugged the fuel pump relay back up and cycled it several times to purge any air. You could heard the fuel pump change tones each time it was cycled. I then spun it over and within three rounds it fired. It did not stay running but it fired. The third time I cranked it, it fired and stayed running. It is rich as hell right now prolly due to the start up tune. Once I tie up all of my loose ends its time for a test drive. See what you think.....

http://youtu.be/3o6PSUWPkCs

Last edited by tsnow678; 07-01-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Yeeeaaaahhh! gasp. cough. breathing good now. seriously though, congrats.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man! I cant quit smiling! Now to button everything up and let her rip.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man...that's gotta be better than sex!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Oh it is!! I did get a hard-on as soon as it fired up. I looked like Tommy Lee trying to drive with it!

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro