Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks lizeec for going through the trouble and getting me the information I need. I have it wired in just as you said but I have not hooked in the 12v hot side yet. I will check for voltage first coming from the PCM through the MIL wire. I am pretty sure it will be a ground but just in case. BMF's instructions sent with his harness is a little misleading. I think they meant to say it's a 12v circuit but not neccesarily a positive from the PCM. You would think they would go through the trouble of clear precise details on the instructions to prevent unwanted damage to the PCM. Thanks everybody for your help! I will be out in the garage today hopefully getting the wiring and interior done. I was on the lake yesterday from 7:15am to 10:30pm nonstop I am tired as hell so dont expect no miracles today.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice build here. The VA install isnt that bad, just a little time consuming. Where are you mounting your compressor? You will need to have an AC shop crimp the ends once you cut the hoses to the correct length. You really need 2 guys to mock up/measure the placement of the evap under the dash. Once thats mounted, its pretty much a 1 man deal. Mine has worked well- blows cold & good air flow volume. I ran the ecm AC lead to the AC hot wire so it knows the AC is on. I still need to have the AC idle increased a bit more of the stock setting because of my cam. It will help clean the idle up a bit with AC on. Keep up the good work
Old 07-03-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS69LS1
Nice build here. The VA install isnt that bad, just a little time consuming. Where are you mounting your compressor? You will need to have an AC shop crimp the ends once you cut the hoses to the correct length. You really need 2 guys to mock up/measure the placement of the evap under the dash. Once thats mounted, its pretty much a 1 man deal. Mine has worked well- blows cold & good air flow volume. I ran the ecm AC lead to the AC hot wire so it knows the AC is on. I still need to have the AC idle increased a bit more of the stock setting because of my cam. It will help clean the idle up a bit with AC on. Keep up the good work
Have you seen the bracket that Detroit Speed has for the evap core for the Vintage Air system? I was just wondering if it is worth the money. I asked the guy that did my harness if I needed to keep the A/C in the harness and he said no. The fans will come on at a given temperature but he failed to say something about the idle speed when the A/C is cut on. I didnt even think about that aspect of it. Thanks
Old 07-03-2011, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That wire also turns on the 2nd fan when the AC is turned on- makes big difference in AC perf. You can use a trinary switch thru VA for that- just ask for one when you order. The ecm will compensate for the idle, but it will just take longer. I used the VA sure fit Gen4. It comes with everything you need to mount the evap. I think the DSE is for a different evap, but i'm not sure on that. My harness was done by speartech.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Thanks lizeec for going through the trouble and getting me the information I need. I have it wired in just as you said but I have not hooked in the 12v hot side yet. I will check for voltage first coming from the PCM through the MIL wire. I am pretty sure it will be a ground but just in case. BMF's instructions sent with his harness is a little misleading. I think they meant to say it's a 12v circuit but not neccesarily a positive from the PCM. You would think they would go through the trouble of clear precise details on the instructions to prevent unwanted damage to the PCM. Thanks everybody for your help! I will be out in the garage today hopefully getting the wiring and interior done. I was on the lake yesterday from 7:15am to 10:30pm nonstop I am tired as hell so dont expect no miracles today.
I just dropped that boat hint again today!!!!

we'll see how that plays out after the house purchase!!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
That sounds exactly right...and how I see it. It's also the same color wire...just a different pin position due to a different vehicle. Actually, that may be the same pin position as a V6 F body. Regardless, 12V is supplied to the MIL. The MIL light is grounded by the PCM. The only question I really had was the voltage...and if you have it in writing it's 12V, that's good enough for me. That's how I would do it.

lizeec....we're not sure what you mean by 'negative 12v'. If you hook your volt meter up backwards, it reads negative. But in this case, I believe you are trying to tell us that you mean 'ground', correct? Your terminology isn't one normally seen on automotive systems like this.
My background is a heavy equipment mechanic such as cranes and earthmovers, but prior to that I was a industrial forklift mechanic and I only worked on the battery powered ones with 24,36,48 and 72 volt DC voltage systems and yes it is basically a ground or what I referred to as negative 12 volts as on these forklifts there is no chassis ground on the forklift. If is all insulated so the only ground is back to the battery itself and yes basically you are just hooking up the voltmeter backwards to check for a presence of a ground signal, hope that clears it up a little.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No problem you are welcome, in those instructions from BMF nothing would happen to the PCM you would just end up with 2 grounds going to the MIL light, one from the PCM that according to the instructions would be a 12+ but is actually a 12- and the other negative you hooked up thinking that the PCM one was a 12+ I hope I just didn't make it more confusing.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lizeec
I hope I just didn't make it more confusing.
Its all good. I appreciate the help and sort of figured out what you were saying before you explain it. I am two solder joints away from having the interior rewired and then its time to put the dash pad and such back on the car.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the check engine wire coming from the PCM is a ground wire ??
Old 07-04-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
So the check engine wire coming from the PCM is a ground wire ??
Yeah it is a ground. You will need to run a hot from the fuse block to one side of the bulb and the brown wire from the PCM to the other side. I used my GEN idiot light in my dash as the MIL indicator. Your directions are a little misleading.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Steve68
I just dropped that boat hint again today!!!!

we'll see how that plays out after the house purchase!!
I hope you do get the boat! I have had mine out 9 times this year and have enjoyed every minute of it. What a relaxing break from the car and a good way to see some *******! We had a blast this weekend on the boat. I was on the water over 15 hours Saturday and another 6 hours today.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS SNOW!!! Hearing your car run is like music to my ears! SO MOTIVATING!! I can't wait to get home and get to finishing mine. What are the specs on the cam you are running, sounds nice! Congrats again and great work. I continue to learn a lot from your build. Happy 4th!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MisterD
CONGRATULATIONS SNOW!!! Hearing your car run is like music to my ears! SO MOTIVATING!! I can't wait to get home and get to finishing mine. What are the specs on the cam you are running, sounds nice! Congrats again and great work. I continue to learn a lot from your build. Happy 4th!
Happy 4th to you!!!

The cam specs are as follows:
236/242 @.050" and .580"/.590" on a 112
It is similar to the Texas Speed Magic Stick 3 without going over .600" on the lift. I was concerned with the big valves in the L92 heads the extra lift would cause me interference. I went with the 112 LSA because I was on the fence on carb vs. EFI. I would have went with a 110 LSA for the carb and a 114 LSA for EFI. Good luck on your build!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope you do get the boat! I have had mine out 9 times this year and have enjoyed every minute of it. What a relaxing break from the car and a good way to see some *******! We had a blast this weekend on the boat. I was on the water over 15 hours Saturday and another 6 hours today.
we'll see, I grew up on the rivers in Brevard co. we were always on the Banana River and the Indian, sometimes going to the St Johns, we always had boats and all my friends always had boats!!

Hoping to get one and take the kids on the water, tubing wake surfing, kneeboarding, we used to have a hydoslide, now it's just a kneeboard!
Old 07-05-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SS69LS1
That wire also turns on the 2nd fan when the AC is turned on- makes big difference in AC perf. You can use a trinary switch thru VA for that- just ask for one when you order. The ecm will compensate for the idle, but it will just take longer.
What is the pin designation for the signal to the ECM? On my LY6 E38 ECM, I have a few pins related to AC and I don't know how they function:

12 - A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Signal (CJ2/C67
13 -Low Reference (4.8L/5.3L6.0L/6.2L with CJ2/C67) - A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Pin 1
34 - 5-Volt Reference 1 - A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Pin 2
63 -A/C Compressor Clutch Relay Control (CJ2/C67)
Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can't wait to see your car drive!what a great feeling!I was out driving mine all weekend!I need to drive mine two hours away so It can get on a dyno and tuned!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Teching In

nice build!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
What is the pin designation for the signal to the ECM? On my LY6 E38 ECM, I have a few pins related to AC and I don't know how they function:

12 - A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Signal (CJ2/C67
13 -Low Reference (4.8L/5.3L6.0L/6.2L with CJ2/C67) - A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Pin 1
34 - 5-Volt Reference 1 - A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Pin 2
63 -A/C Compressor Clutch Relay Control (CJ2/C67)
I am unsure as I am not using any A/C wires from the PCM. According to the guy that wired the harness he said the A/C is a stand alone unit. I am going to try what he said first and go from there. I am sure someone on here can help with this, anyone???
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Can't wait to see your car drive!what a great feeling!I was out driving mine all weekend!I need to drive mine two hours away so It can get on a dyno and tuned!!!
Thats a definate!!! Did you get the check engine light wired in? I cannot wait to take this thing down the road. Unfortunatenly I have been servicing all the other vehicles today and have not had time to button anything up. I have put off the other vehicles until today so I could hear my car run. I managed to get the oil, trans, and etc. done on the Accord, oil changed and shocks changed on my sons truck, oil, tranny fluid, lower control arms, struts, and etc. on the Civic done today! Still need to change the oil and tranny fluid on the truck then its Camaro time. Heading for the beach this weekend and will be gone for a week so priorities said to get everything up to date so I can play later rather than take a chance and ruin my daily drivers. After vacation is over its nonstop Camaro time!!! I got to get this thing broke in and head down to Mooresville for the dyno tune. I cannot wait to feel the difference between the SBC and the new LS engine. The six speed will be a plus too!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mx5.3
nice build!
Thanks! Do you have a build in progress?

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro