Old 06-25-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool project...Looking foward to finished product
Old 06-25-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Sometimes I get long winded over the simple things and the last thing I want to do is bore anyone. I try to give as much detail as possible just in case.
tsnow, I think we're related.
Great job on the 'little' stuff!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree BMF! I looked and looked for some adequate space inside and without the Vintage Air installed I would be reluctant to mount it under the dash. I then looked at mounting it under the passenger side seat as you mentioned before but the seat is too low to accomplish this. I placed the PCM everywhere under the sun in the engine bay and it was a misfit everywhere. I went out on the lake for 8 hours today and could not get this problem out of my head. I am sooooooo close to getting this thing ready to fire up and such a simple thing is holding me up. Returned from the lake and headed out to the garage and BAM it hit me like a ton of bricks! I pulled the battery out once more and looked in behind the battery and there was plenty of space between the battery and the passenger fender. So now I had a bracket issue. It is bent at 90 degrees at the mounting tabs and was posing a problem in this location. I flattened the mounting tabs and now it fits almost perfectly. The battery will hide the PCM, it will get fresh air through the grille, and its far away from any heat sources. Here is a shot of the bracket after it was bent straight.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Here it is just sitting in its new location. I do not have it fastened yet. I will need to make a small bracket to mount the top of the PCM bracket to the radiator support. The bottom will bolt or rivet to the inner fender well where the parking light wire grommet come through the bottom of the inner. This will give you an idea of how it will look. I will need to extend my harness approximatley 20" to get the connectors to mate to the PCM but other than that it seems pretty straight forward.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-25-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
Cool project...Looking foward to finished product
Thanks! Hopefully it wont be too much longer before it is done. That is if my luck starts to go the other way first.

tsnow, I think we're related.
Great job on the 'little' stuff
We might just be! Thanks
Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go one step further and build something to help protect it from battery fumes, acid, etc. We've all seen what the surrounding area of a battery can look like. Sure don't want that here. Especially someone with your mad fabrication skills.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
I would go one step further and build something to help protect it from battery fumes, acid, etc. We've all seen what the surrounding area of a battery can look like. Sure don't want that here. Especially someone with your mad fabrication skills.
Thanks and you make a valid point. I was so happy to have a new home for the PCM that I overlooked the obvious. Thanks again!!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good,where u mounting ur fuse block?
Old 06-26-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Looks good,where u mounting ur fuse block?
Thanks. I mounted the fuses and relays on the firewall next to the right side fender for a couple of reasons 1) easy to get to just incase of a failure and 2) it was the only flat surface I had left.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

I have the blue plug done now for the green one. I ended up adding 21" to the existing harness. I am now on my third roll of heat shrink and counting. I have burnt up one soldering iron. On the third roll of the wire and counting. What a pain in the ***! Just tonight I stripped over 100 ends of wire. I will post some pics tomorrow, hopefully!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
That is possibly the best wiring photo I've seen yet. Looks like an overwhelming pile of spaghetti. I'm sure you'll have it sorted out without issue, but looking at that picture makes me cringe about what I have to look forward to.

Keep up the progress. You don't look to be too far off.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Looking great so far. Keep at it.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Launching!

You're killing me smalls. i want to see a video of this car running. been holding my breath and damn near blue now. Keep up the good work. it keeps me going on mine.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I had it to do it all over,I would put computer where you are putting it and leave battery in stock location!I would also extend my fuse wiring box so I could mount under the dash!but hey,live and learn!!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
That is possibly the best wiring photo I've seen yet. Looks like an overwhelming pile of spaghetti. I'm sure you'll have it sorted out without issue, but looking at that picture makes me cringe about what I have to look forward to.

Keep up the progress. You don't look to be too far off.
Its really not too bad. I just wired in one sensor at a time. It took me about 4 days at 2 hours a day of measuring and routing the wires to lay relaxed in the desired location. The extending of the harness is alot worse. I am done with the blue connector and am almost finished with the green one. I will have the harness ready to go tomorrow. I had to stay late at work today or I would have had it done tonight. Paitence is definately a virtue!!! When all said and done just on the extension of the harness I will have stripped 228 wire ends, soldered 114 joints, cut 114 pieces of heat shrink, taped 114 joints, and cut 57 lengths of wire. Not counting the labeling of same colored wires in each connector. Its turned out to be job. Might have been cheaper to buy another harness but to get one to fit my specific needs would have been more headache I believe. I went through 3-4 rolls of wire and three packs of heat shrink, two tubes of solder, and one soldering iron. If you buy solder get it from Radio Shack its the best. Walmart sells a soldering iron that is great for $8 its 25 watts and gets to 750 degrees quick made in the USA!!! Prolly the last thing they sell made in America. I bought the .050" solder from Radio Shack. 3/16" Heat shrink from Oreillys. I cut it to 1-3/4" lengths. I used my razor knife to slice up a roll of 3M electrical tape while still on the roll so I can pull off short pieces with out having to cut each individual piece. I made it pre-cut. Pictures will def be on here tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
If I had it to do it all over,I would put computer where you are putting it and leave battery in stock location!I would also extend my fuse wiring box so I could mount under the dash!but hey,live and learn!!
The key is you have it where you want it and it works! You can always go back and change what you want at a later time. Maybe if it works out for me and all goes well it will give you something to do at a later time. **** at least you are able to drive your car, I'm envious!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 68maroSam
Looking great so far. Keep at it.
Thanks I appreciate it!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls68firebird
You're killing me smalls. i want to see a video of this car running. been holding my breath and damn near blue now. Keep up the good work. it keeps me going on mine.
Breathe man its going to be a little bit before she is on her own if all goes well. You think your holding your breathe, I am about to die to hear it run. I have been in the garage every night until 11:30 trying to make progress but it seems I am redoing **** that should have been right the first time. I am getting anxious and have made several mistakes along the way.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

slow and steady goes the pace,
Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are not going to believe this, but Lowe's here carries an amazing selection of heat shrink for very reasonable prices. A lot cheaper than the auto parts stores. It's not too bad a product either. It's no where near the Motorcraft shrink and seal stuff, but it's very good and as good, if not better, as I've seen from Autozone, etc.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro