Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice truck. For a second there I thought you had it restored already, until I saw the silver tray underneath. Then I knew it couldn't be yours.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
Nice truck. For a second there I thought you had it restored already, until I saw the silver tray underneath. Then I knew it couldn't be yours.
I wont pick it up until Sunday. Yeah I wish the second pic was mine tray or not! I think we will fly through the truck and make it streetable for the time being. Then the parts collecting will begin. I think we will proceed with the 5.3 as soon as funds are available. For the same money I may buy another 6.0 and go forward. The only diff would be this one will definately be a carb setup. The truck will be a budget build!!! Before I get too anxious I need to finish the Camaro. Tomorrow evening the Camaro will see some life once again. Heading to the lake in the morning, come home take a nap and then ***** to the walls Camaro!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look forward to hearing how the wire harness goes!I'm putting a stereo system in mine wright now,I will be working on that all weekend
Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Alright I finally buttoned the majority of the wiring up today and...... bam she fired on the first turn!!! It runs soooooo much better, my #1 fan came on at 180 degrees and the second right behind it, it idles a little high since I have the TPS voltage up a little, she runs smooth, cams better, running a little rich though. I got everything out of harms way and took her for a spin and I am impressed. I had it in first and rolled out and about 1/4 throttle I nailed it and immediately she lit the tires up. I babied it around a little and on the last pass I mashed it on down in second and it was slipping the tires from about 2000 on up to around 3500 then she hooked and hold on!!! My neighbor and my son both were wided eyed looking over at this crazy guy holding onto the wheel. Here is a couple of videos of the car running under the new wiring harness and PCM. My Vintage Air cam in today but for some reason the bracket turned up missing. So until they find everything I will wait to pick it up. Hopefully tomorrow the complete system will be there and I can clean up a few wires and start on the A/C. I will definately have a complete breakdown on the install of this unit. Man its almost the end of the cruise ins and I am days away from attending. I cant wait. Guess by now you can tell I have took a sigh of relief and am not doing anything but smiling!!! Thanks for being patient with me as I have drug this unit out far too long. All I can say is if you are in the market for a harness and PCM shoot me a PM and I will be more than happy to tell you all about it.

http://youtu.be/XOufrsbV0jc

http://youtu.be/MIpZQjxrJ64
Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Dude!!! That's great! I'm sure you are grinning from ear to ear.....especially after the first ride! So, were your son and neighbor riding with you then? If so.....it'll feel even stronger when you take it out by yourself. I know I can always feel the extra weight of passengers in my TA.

I have a good buddy that's gonna do an LQ4 in his 68, so I'll probably be hitting you up at some point for some advice to help him out. I've already pointed him to your thread, but I may come "direct to the source" for ease of info if you don't mind.

Anyway.......the car looks and sounds great! You can be very proud of what you've accomplished!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds good. Let the fun begin!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Congrats Dude!!! That's great! I'm sure you are grinning from ear to ear.....especially after the first ride! So, were your son and neighbor riding with you then? If so.....it'll feel even stronger when you take it out by yourself. I know I can always feel the extra weight of passengers in my TA.

I have a good buddy that's gonna do an LQ4 in his 68, so I'll probably be hitting you up at some point for some advice to help him out. I've already pointed him to your thread, but I may come "direct to the source" for ease of info if you don't mind.

Anyway.......the car looks and sounds great! You can be very proud of what you've accomplished!
Thanks! Yeah the neighbor and my son was with me. I may have to put them in the trunk if I take it to the track, lol!!! I will be happy to answer any and all questions that you or your friend have. I can at least tell him what worked for me and what didnt. If I dont have an answer I can ask several of my friends I have made on here that have done similar swaps. Friday is approcahing fast, one last chance to take yours to the track? Huh????? Speedtigger just took his 65 Skylark to the track and it ran damn near a mid 11 sec pass in the quarter, full steel body car!!! He is around 3,500lbs, well his car is, but you get the point. Whats the Camaro weighing in at?

Last edited by tsnow678; 08-22-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Sounds good. Let the fun begin!
Thanks and yes let the fun begin. At least now I can take it to Tick/PCM4Less and have them dyno tune it. A/C is going on first and then its heading to Mooresville. I might trailer it down there so when I pick it up I can take it to the track right down the road. I have some Moser axles coming this week so that will help my confidence. I need to get me a set of stickies and I will be set. My suspension is stock so I will have to play with the launch and shift points but it will be fun either way. If I can break into the sevens (1/8) I will be happy. Mid 7's and I will prolly **** my pants!!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
If I can break into the sevens (1/8) I will be happy. Mid 7's and I will prolly **** my pants!!
Better pick up some Depends while you are out.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Better pick up some Depends while you are out.
Damn.......beat me to it. Thats exactly what I was gonna say!

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Thanks! Yeah the neighbor and my son was with me. I may have to put them in the trunk if I take it to the track, lol!!! I will be happy to answer any and all questions that you or your friend have. I can at least tell him what worked for me and what didnt. If I dont have an answer I can ask several of my friends I have made on here that have done similar swaps. Friday is approcahing fast, one last chance to take yours to the track? Huh????? Speedtigger just took his 65 Skylark to the track and it ran damn near a mid 11 sec pass in the quarter, full steel body car!!! He is around 3,500lbs, well his car is, but you get the point. Whats the Camaro weighing in at?
Yeah, I saw speedtigger's vids in the carb'd section. Very impressive! I'm not sure what the Camaro will weigh in at since there's so many variables from stock (some heavier/some lighter), but if I had to guess......it'd be somewhere in the 3250-3300lb range without driver. Won't be track ready before Friday.....LOL....but that's a good thing. I need to wait till the temps come down before I hit the track out here. The air is thin enough at our elevations......I don't need heat making it thinner . Just as an example....my TA that runs consistent 11.40's at close to sea level ran a 12.0 out here in Tucson in "good" weather . Makes me almost not want to run the Camaro out here at all because I'll just be disappointed and making excuses about what my times correct to at sea level. But oh well, it'll still be fun!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Yahoo! Great to hear this run! We should call Calverts and see if we can get a group purchase going. We're going to need them.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
Yahoo! Great to hear this run! We should call Calverts and see if we can get a group purchase going. We're going to need them.
I need to invest in some springs either out front or in the rear. I am going to say the rear springs need to go. When I first put them on my car they jacked my car in the air about 4" from normal and after several launches they settled so bad it squated a idle. I had a local spring shop/drag racer add in what he thought would be the best remedy for my problem. It didnt squat any more but it sure did stiffen everything up. I have been hoping they would settle, but no luck. I would like to have the CalTracs and some springs. Call them and see if there is a price break for multiple purchases.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Congratulations!

I'm really curious about what went wrong with your first harness. Did you make any changes besides the harness itself? Did you reflash the ECU between the problems with your old harness and swapping in the new one? Hell you probably don't even care anymore - your car runs. That is awesome! Now strap a lawn chair in it and take it to the next cruise night!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Congratulations!

I'm really curious about what went wrong with your first harness. Did you make any changes besides the harness itself? Did you reflash the ECU between the problems with your old harness and swapping in the new one? Hell you probably don't even care anymore - your car runs. That is awesome! Now strap a lawn chair in it and take it to the next cruise night!
I had the ECU flashed by the guy that rewired the harness first. While I was installing the harness I called two of the local tuners that are sponsors on here and both said the stock tune that joeblow in Ark. put on my ECU would not run properly with the size of injectors I had (42lb/hr). So I decided to take the ECU to Pcm4less in Mooresville since they are closer and will end up doing the dyno tune. They flashed the computer and I installed it. It fired up but there were codes popping up everywhere. Now I cant say for sure but I think the problem was in a bad MAF, some **** poor wiring, and it could have been something in the flash. Who knows for sure I surely will never find out. I will however go back through the harness and check for broken connections, and wrong pinouts. As far as the ECU/PCM, well I know nothing about them. I will sell it all cheap if you know someone that needs it. It is out of a 2003 Silverado 6.0 green/blue PCM with the converted DBW to DBC harness. It was extended by me but each wire was labeled and put back to its original mate prior to soldering and heat shrinking. I have the fuse block, relays, fuses, and will even throw in the supposedly bad MAF. 2003 was the last year you could convert from DBW to DBC since it has the stepper motor on board.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Now strap a lawn chair in it and take it to the next cruise night!
I will install the VA system first and then its off to the cruise in's. I will prolly wait till fall and then have it tuned properly.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds great!!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Default ls2

DAWG!! that baby sounds sweeeeet!! Congrats T! She is definitely something to be proud of! Hell, I feel just as excited as you are about your baby running! The vids are awesome and definitely want me to keep working my car to get her running! You and your build have truly been an inspiration for many of us here on the forum! Keep up the great work and see you out on the trail sometime soon!

TC
Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 598 Likes on 474 Posts

Congratulations!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys I really do appreciate the compliments!!! We are not done completely so I will be on here quite a bit. Are these projects ever truely complete? There are a ton of nice cars and trucks on here that have been an inspiration to me. Thanks again to all that have thrown their 2 cents in and have helped out. Hopefully I can return the favor!

On a side note, the Moser axles will be here this week, Vintage Air is here waiting on the Kwik bracket, it should be here by Friday. I picked up my sons 72 Chevy stepside 4x4 tonight and it will be the next to receive an LS of some sort. The engine swap will be the last thing to happen so no more talk of it for a while. It needs a ton of work and it will be postponed until the Camaro is complete.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds great & a nice clean looking swap. Where did you run your tranny lines?

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro