Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
Cutting up vintage '69 hardware like that had to about give you heartburn didn't it? It's not like you can run down to the local O'Reilly's and but new stuff...
Thanks for the compliment!

If I had an original Z/28 I wouldnt cut a thing but since my car was a V8 sport coupe and no real value it doesnt bother me too bad. I try to make everything on the outside look original but as far as the drivetrain its the way I like it. Yeah I would love to have an all original car but how fun is that. The daily drivers are where its at for the present fun and the originals are for future investment. I am going to auction off the original duct work and controls on Ebay. The controls are not being reproduced so they bring around $185-$200 on average. Mine has the cables with it as well. I have a spare control but it does need a little work. Luckily I have a restoration parts supplier 10 minutes from my home and most parts are readily available. Of course they are mostly reproductions but sometimes the reproduction pieces are nicer than the original equipment. And a hell of a lot cheaper. There is a restoration shop that mostly does Fords but he rolls out some awesome cars out of that building. He has had his cars showcased on Barret-Jackson and have brought top dollar. You ever heard of Hunter's?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lookin good man! You'll be cruisin in style soon with the AC blastin!
Old 09-03-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Lookin good man! You'll be cruisin in style soon with the AC blastin!
I hope so Gary! Hows the back doing?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I started back on the Vintage Air today. This is the next step, installing the defrost ducts.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-03-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Next on the list is the passenger side kick panel. You have to silicone the fresh air duct closed and install the close out panel.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

This is the sound deadening material I prefer due to cost and ease of use. I bought it Lowes Home Improvement for around $15. I went ahead and did behind the Evap case to quiet any engine noise in that area, I have used this stuff with great success throughout the interior of my car. I even ran a strip down the length of the doors to give them a solid sound and to take out the tincanny sound out. You would not believe the difference before and after. My doors sound like they are a solid piece of metal rather than a hollow drum.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-03-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

This is a shot of the firewall once the Evap was installed. I had to drill a 5/8" hole for the wiring harness, drill two 1-1/4" holes for the freon lines, and open up the mounting hole that was pre-existing to allow the 5/16" bolt to pass through. This entire process was a pain in the *** but hopefully it will pay off in the end. I measured 10 times before I drilled the first hole. Once the holes were drilled I had to deburr them. Had I known the Vintage Air setup came with the block off plates for the old air conditioning I would not have installed the DSE firewall block off plate. I ended up drilling through the DSE plate to access the freon lines so much for a firewall with minimal holes in it. I think the kit that was sold to me was for a combination that puts the compressor on the drivers side and will hinder me from completing the installation this weekend.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by tsnow678; 09-03-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
I hope so Gary! Hows the back doing?
Thanks for asking. My back is doing great.....which is both a blessing and a curse. I'm glad the pain the surgery was meant to cure is gone, but feeling this good jjust makes me want to hit the garage. But, I'm not allowed to do any bending, lifting, or twisting for 6-8wks.....no matter how good I feel. So that basically means I need to just stay out of the garage or risk reinjuring myself. But, if I have to hang out here in the house too much longer, I'm sure I'll figure out SOMETHING I can get done out there.....even if it's small.

But, until then....I'll keep watching your thread for updates. Keep at it! The Vintage Air is coming along very well.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Thanks for asking. My back is doing great.....which is both a blessing and a curse. I'm glad the pain the surgery was meant to cure is gone, but feeling this good jjust makes me want to hit the garage. But, I'm not allowed to do any bending, lifting, or twisting for 6-8wks.....no matter how good I feel. So that basically means I need to just stay out of the garage or risk reinjuring myself. But, if I have to hang out here in the house too much longer, I'm sure I'll figure out SOMETHING I can get done out there.....even if it's small.

But, until then....I'll keep watching your thread for updates. Keep at it! The Vintage Air is coming along very well.
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. Yeah I would definately take a break from lifting or pulling anything at this moment. My wife had a fusion done several years ago and she still hurts from it. I have the usual back pains but nothing like she goes through on a dailt basis. I know she is tougher than me so I have to believe her when she aches. Take care of the back as it will take care of you before long. No sense in rushing on the Camaro.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking great tsnow,how bad was it so far to do?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Looking great tsnow,how bad was it so far to do?
I am a little dissapointed in a couple of things but overall its not bad. The firewall holes really crawls my ***, the shortage of duct hose is a road block, the lack of the right hard lines is a lack of quality control on Vintage's end, the cluster **** of duct work coming out of one small area is a royal pain in the ***, the kick panel replacement panel is a misfit, and those damn directions are so vague its unbelievable. You would think after thousands of these units were sold and installed that they would take the time to be a little more thorough and do a specific step by step layout with drawings that match the actual components you have at your disposal. I guess thats what I get for expecting too much from one company. Oh yeah one more gripe, the three **** vertical controller that I paid a couple of hundred dollars for can cause the A/C unit to actually cool too much causing the evaporator to freeze and shut down the system due to the lack of a thermistor. What the ****??? Hows that for engineering. Oh yeah and you dont have an A/C button you have to turn one **** one way and the level **** another way to get the A/C to kick on all the while not turning the temp **** too far as it might shut this mother down. Yeah the installation is going well LOL!!! I have the under the dash part about done, the compressor mounted, belt length right, I am just waiting on parts to complete the unit that was not actually a unit but a partial A/C system. Can you tell I am tired of working under the dash? All I can do is laugh and thanks to a patient guy at Classic Muscle I am really not that upset just a little dissapointed. I am sure Bill will read this and be happy to spread my joy to the rest of the guys just remember Bill I didnt bad mouth you guys one time and I still like you. Bill is not affiliated with any Bill on LS1Tech so please dont read too much into it.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow,that sucks!!I expected more from vitage air!!which one did u get?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

I feel like a dumb as for not doing mine yet. In Atlanta it went from like 100 degrees to 60's in one day. WTF happened to fall? Anyway, I am more busy at work and am dreading this install. I have been secretly soliciting a guy who works full time for a good ac shop and has done ls swap in his daily driver rx7 to do my vintage ac, but no bite yet. His shop quoted me 1000 for the labor on the install. Really, I need to bite the bullet and get to work on this. I have driven over 2000 miles spinning that compressor without the rest installed.

Thanks for posting the details and the pics! Beers on me when we meet up.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by futureuser
I have been secretly soliciting a guy.
F&cK! I reread my post and I'm ashamed of myself! Might want to think twice if I offer to buy beer.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

wow.. very nice build ... i am just starting mine.. hoping to push thru it over the winter... will keep an eye on this thread since its a 69 also...
Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
I am a little dissapointed in a couple of things but overall its not bad. ... the shortage of duct hose is a road block, the lack of the right hard lines is a lack of quality control on Vintage's end, the cluster **** of duct work coming out of one small area is a royal pain in the ***, the kick panel replacement panel is a misfit, and those damn directions are so vague its unbelievable.
I agree 100% about everything you said. The directions are garbage, printed in black and white that look like a third grader made them for a class project, and the quality of the product itself is incredibly poor. The only thing that even resembles a quality piece is the spal fan. While it does blow cool air (though dash vents that don't even fit) I cannot say enough bad things about this product or the instructions it comes with.

Anyway, you car looks cool.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Wow,that sucks!!I expected more from vitage air!!which one did u get?
The Gen IV Sure Fit.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
I feel like a dumb as for not doing mine yet. In Atlanta it went from like 100 degrees to 60's in one day. WTF happened to fall? Anyway, I am more busy at work and am dreading this install. I have been secretly soliciting a guy who works full time for a good ac shop and has done ls swap in his daily driver rx7 to do my vintage ac, but no bite yet. His shop quoted me 1000 for the labor on the install. Really, I need to bite the bullet and get to work on this. I have driven over 2000 miles spinning that compressor without the rest installed.

Thanks for posting the details and the pics! Beers on me when we meet up.
10-4 on those beers! Your free-wheeling the compressor, not hurting a thing. The $1000 was what I was qouted for the install actually I think my qoute was closer to $1200. I can put up with a lot before I pay that. $500 and I prolly would have dropped the car off. Did you get the GEN IV Sure Fit?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by game-over
wow.. very nice build ... i am just starting mine.. hoping to push thru it over the winter... will keep an eye on this thread since its a 69 also...
Thanks and best of luck to you on your project! Do you have a build thread? If not, is there anyway we could talk you into doing one?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chuckd71
I agree 100% about everything you said. The directions are garbage, printed in black and white that look like a third grader made them for a class project, and the quality of the product itself is incredibly poor. The only thing that even resembles a quality piece is the spal fan. While it does blow cool air (though dash vents that don't even fit) I cannot say enough bad things about this product or the instructions it comes with.

Anyway, you car looks cool.

I am with ya! I must have had my expectations way too high. If it will heat and cool with minimal noise I will stop complaining but overall unsatisfactory.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro