Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again for all the details. Nice surgical work.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Wow, main controller plugs into ECM? I have no idea how I'm going to do this. I think a road trip to N. Carolina is in order.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
Wow, main controller plugs into ECM? I have no idea how I'm going to do this. I think a road trip to N. Carolina is in order.
After you wired and rewired your swap in, this plug and play will be a piece of cake for you. If I have any patience left I would be happy to help you out. The good thing about the a/c install is you can start and stop at any time. Since it is a standalone system there is no rush on anything.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tsnow,you are one of the most helpful guys on this forum!big thanks my friend,u are awesome!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Tsnow,you are one of the most helpful guys on this forum!big thanks my friend,u are awesome!
X2 There is enough information on this thread alone with detailed pics and detailed descriptions to write a book "How to swap an LSX into a 1st gen Camaro" lol let alone all the helpful replies on everyone elses swap threads.. Hope hes still on here as my build progresses over the next couple years
Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks BMF150 and 69SYC! You guys are great!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
This is the plate I made to house the three **** Vintage Air controller. Simple 22 gauge sheet metal cut to fit. One bend, two speed nuts, three holes and the mount that was file to fit.

[IMG][/IMG]
I wonder if you realize just how good your fab skills are.

I can wire anything. I have yet to find something I couldn't solve. Multiplexing, etc. I can handle. But something as simple as this bracket is so difficult to come out that nice. And I've seen tons of other stuff from folks that THINK they have skills. We all make something that works, but it's rare to find someone who can make it look like it was stamped at a factory somewhere. What a difference.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Oldcobraguy I appreciate the compliment. I am mediocre at best, just good at hiding my major flaws. I have a secret advantage, I drink beer and therefore have the cardboard from the 18 packs to use as a template. I always cut out a template before making anything. It helps to have collected tools for the past 23 years too. I only buy what I need but after working on this and that for the past 23 years it has compiled into something that I rarely have to buy new tools just replacements that are worn or broke. I am sure after all of the restorations and swaps, you too do an excellent job at whatever you come across. I cant wait to see some of your future projects and I do value your opinion.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

I got the gauges back in there spot and snugged up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Trans tunnel cover is screwed down.

[IMG][/IMG]

I went ahead and covered the cover with insulation to prevent unwanted heat and noise.

[IMG][/IMG]

Rerun my speaker wire and used the insulation to position it away from any sharp edges or interference from the rear seat. I had an amp in the car but it caused alot of engine noise in the sound system. I opted to go the simple route.

[IMG][/IMG]

Rear seat divider installed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Rear seat back in. As you can tell I am not the best at reupholstering. I needed to add more batting to take out the wrinkles but oh well. I dont ride back there anyway.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a shot of the trunk prior to me getting rid of the surface rust. I originally sand blasted the trunk, etch primed and prime and sealed it but for some reason the trunk leaks when I wash it and the rubber mat just holds onto the water causing the rust. I sanded it, painted it with engine paint, and then laid on a new coat of spatter paint.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is an after shot.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The wiring under the dash is complete and most of the interior is in. I put new carpet up front since my shifter location is in a different position now. The kick panels, radio, gauges, wire protectors, door sills, back seat, OBDII, and whatever else is in its permanent location.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thats it for today. I will resume with the under the hood activities tomorrow. Hopefully my hard line will come in and I can at least get the loose ends buttoned up on the A/C unit. I will however need to mark and cut the rubber lines to have the ends crimped on. Then its off to the shop to get the evacuation and charge. If all goes well it will be rear end time by the end of the week.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

I ordered a new three spoke 15" steering wheel today. Its like the original cushion grip from back in the day but at a third of the cost. I priced the original at the resto shop and it was going to cost $225 for the kit minus the bowite sticker. I got the Grant look alike with the bowtie for $80 and since I already have the three bolt adapter I didnt need to buy the installation kit. It should be in this week from Summit.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Launching!

wow it's close. congrats! can't wait for the burnout video.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

looking awesome!!! I need a fire lit under my tail so I will start on my build! I am hoping the cooler weather will motivate me some. seeing your black interior confirms I want to go from the navy blue to black, then we would have twins...lol
Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tommy69z
looking awesome!!! I need a fire lit under my tail so I will start on my build! I am hoping the cooler weather will motivate me some. seeing your black interior confirms I want to go from the navy blue to black, then we would have twins...lol
Thanks! Its funny, my interior was originally blue. If you look close you can see the blue bleeding through on the end of the turn signal lever. I used Dupont vinyl dye on some of the original parts to save money and replacing them as I go along. If my line for the a/c comes in today I may grab a new signal lever and rear view mirror. Just curious what color was the exterior of your car from the factory? Mine was paint code 50 Dover White.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

You know what you're going to have to do to fix that leaky trunk don't you??? Somebody is going to have to crawl in with a flash light why you hose it down good.

Betcha it's leaking past the trunk lid seal (maybe under it??) or from the rear window seal. That's pretty common on GM vehicles of this vintage if I recall...and MUST be fixed as it rusts out quite a bit of stuff.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking great as usual man! Awesome job on everything!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking great!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Wow man, you are really on your way. Everything looks great. Bravo!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Thanks! Its funny, my interior was originally blue. If you look close you can see the blue bleeding through on the end of the turn signal lever. I used Dupont vinyl dye on some of the original parts to save money and replacing them as I go along. If my line for the a/c comes in today I may grab a new signal lever and rear view mirror. Just curious what color was the exterior of your car from the factory? Mine was paint code 50 Dover White.
I will have to check, but it is the original color...my mom bought it new
Old 09-12-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
You know what you're going to have to do to fix that leaky trunk don't you??? Somebody is going to have to crawl in with a flash light why you hose it down good.

Betcha it's leaking past the trunk lid seal (maybe under it??) or from the rear window seal. That's pretty common on GM vehicles of this vintage if I recall...and MUST be fixed as it rusts out quite a bit of stuff.
I was sort of hoping the problem would just go away but that never happens for me. Yeah I would stick the old lady in the trunk but I am afraid I might accidentily forget shes back there until the smell goes away. The kids might not like me after that. She is itty bitty and would fit great in the trunk but she is blonde and would not know what to look for plus I would have to her bitch about being locked in the back of a 42 year old car. Guess my fatass will climb back there soon. I may leave the trunk mat out until I get it figured out so as to be able to wipe out any water from washing her or if by chance I get caught out in the rain. I was sort of figuring it was the trunk seal but you may be onto something with the back glass. I used a Soffseal trunk gasket and super weatherstrip adhesived it to death. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Looking great as usual man! Awesome job on everything!
Thanks man! I see you have yours out on the open road, thats awesome!

bmf5150 Looking great!!!
I do appreciate it! The kick panels look killer and I am sure they will sound just as good as they look.

TheBandit- Wow man, you are really on your way. Everything looks great. Bravo!
Thanks Bandit! Did you get the engine location nailed down yet? I see you will be in the clear next month. I hope the best for you and its great to here you didnt give up despite what you have been through.

Tommy69z- you guys have had that car since new? Thats almost unheard of these days!! It feels like I have had mine forever but in actuality I have only had her 17 years.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro