Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
LOL. I was being a wiseazz. For some reason, I am betting you kinda knew that and just "played along" . Not saying I wouldn't love to own your ride though. LOL
LOL!!! I will sell everything I own down to my kids!!! Hows the second gen coming along? If I had to do another car it would definately be a 70-73. Thanks Jimbo I will accept cash, Paypal, and a certified check. I will even deliver it to you. I have my sights targeted on a future purchase of a Z06. It will be some time before that will go down but its always good to have a goal.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats one good looking car you have there. just sayin lol
Old 11-07-2011, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3xbrowncutty
thats one good looking car you have there. just sayin lol
I appreciate it!! Do you have a swap on here?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what's new with the car tony??
Old 11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I think he said he was selling it for $38,000. I am getting ready to offer him 1 booger green camaro plus, 3 cans of black spray paint, $5000 in cash, some buddy passes, my simpson's watch collection from burger king and my eldest child who knows everything and says he can restore the car with the spray paint.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
I think he said he was selling it for $38,000. I am getting ready to offer him 1 booger green camaro plus, 3 cans of black spray paint, $5000 in cash, some buddy passes, my simpson's watch collection from burger king and my eldest child who knows everything and says he can restore the car with the spray paint.
LOL!!! Man thats awesome. I needed some humor in my day. You need to send the buddy passes so we can get the booger shined on up! I figure with a pilots wages the sky is the limit, ya get it? AMD a sheetmetal company that makes reproduction parts for our cars now offers an all aluminum front end. Fenders, hood, inners, upper valance, and gravel pan. How sweet would that be. Do sort of a Delorean front with a black tail section with silver flames tying the front to the back..what cha think? I have the paint guns all you need are the compressor, welder, sanders, grinders, parts, paint, etc. Of course it will cost you two round trip tickets for me and the wife to somewhere nice. And tell your kid that spray paint can make a big difference on the booger. I remember when I brought my old 71 Chevy truck home I grabbed about 10 cans of paint and rounded up the kids of the neighborhood and let them have at it. The only rules were the tires and glass were off limits. They had a blast and I ended up with a circus truck. You definately need an 01 on the doors!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I am heading down to finsih a few things, nothing major. I have toyed around with a few ideas and have finally decided to leave her as is and drive it till next spring anyways. I did see on the junkyard teletype there is a 6.0 out of a Hummer H2 (I didnt know they came with this engine) with a magna supercharger in running condition for $5000 in NC. For anyone that doesnt know how to access the junkyard teletype go to car-part.com and do a search. You will need to list the make, model, year, and zip code and the particular part needed to do a search. Really simple to do. It gives you the junkyards name, phone number, address, price of part, condition of part. You can filter it from there by price, location etc.

Whats up with your car? You got the brakes and springs on yet? I have been waiting paitently for some updates. Cant wait to see it with the rollers back on.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope been busy doing other stuff,plus still waiting on parts from kore 3
Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tsnow678
LOL!!! Man thats awesome. I needed some humor in my day. You need to send the buddy passes so we can get the booger shined on up! I figure with a pilots wages the sky is the limit, ya get it? AMD a sheetmetal company that makes reproduction parts for our cars now offers an all aluminum front end. Fenders, hood, inners, upper valance, and gravel pan. How sweet would that be. Do sort of a Delorean front with a black tail section with silver flames tying the front to the back..what cha think? I have the paint guns all you need are the compressor, welder, sanders, grinders, parts, paint, etc. Of course it will cost you two round trip tickets for me and the wife to somewhere nice. And tell your kid that spray paint can make a big difference on the booger. I remember when I brought my old 71 Chevy truck home I grabbed about 10 cans of paint and rounded up the kids of the neighborhood and let them have at it. The only rules were the tires and glass were off limits. They had a blast and I ended up with a circus truck. You definately need an 01 on the doors!!!

I've seen this car a couple of times, and it's really not my taste, but I like their racing stipe idea. Can you guess what they are?

Name:  American_V8_69Camaro2010.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  16.3 KB
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

Yes, I really like the idea. I also like the 115 pound weight loss. I would love to do that and an aluminum ls block. Over a 200 pound weight loss, almost all off the front, with no downside, except money.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Not much to update other than I have a confirmed date to have my car dyno tuned. Heading down to PCMS4Less on Dec.7th and should get it back by that Friday or next Monday. Not real comfortable about leaving my car but they are a reputable business and promised to keep it indoors the duration. I did score a good deal on a car hauler trailer so now I have a reason to use it.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Default ls2

Not much to update other than I have a confirmed date to have my car dyno tuned. Heading down to PCMS4Less on Dec.7th and should get it back by that Friday or next Monday. Not real comfortable about leaving my car but they are a reputable business and promised to keep it indoors the duration. I did score a good deal on a car hauler trailer so now I have a reason to use it.

Can't wait to see what you put down at the wheels!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome! Will be cool to hear what she puts down. Especially before and after the tuning session. It's too bad you can't be there when they're tuning it. I wonder if they would shoot some video for you?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'm curious to,see what it dynos!!!tony,pm what I owe u for springs!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

I think I pissed off my tuner snooping around and posting the video on you tube. Tough ****. Funny thing is, after the pull, they were afraid to drive my car on the street. I wonder, why in the world would anyone be afraid to drive my car? I am sure it promotes the utmost in safety consiousness.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:01 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I am a little anxious to see what it will lay down on the dyno. Hopefully it wont be disappointing. Just the feel in the seat of your pants I am hoping for 425-430 rwhp range. If it makes as good as power as Futureusers did, I will be happy. My main concern right now is to lean it out as it sucking some fuel down. It burns your eyes everytime you walk near it. I am going to do what GC99TA suggested, since I have the option to run two tunes, I will have them throw me a nitrous tune as a secondary with some timing taken out and may have them fatten it up on the upper end. I am really eyeballing the NOS plates system for the LS2. $760 for the kit but it is engine specific. Do you go the laughing gas route or save some pennies and buy another block and build a stroker?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
I think I pissed off my tuner snooping around and posting the video on you tube. Tough ****. Funny thing is, after the pull, they were afraid to drive my car on the street. I wonder, why in the world would anyone be afraid to drive my car? I am sure it promotes the utmost in safety consiousness.
I havent a seat belt one in my car. Its next on the list if I dont die first.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you go the laughing gas route or save some pennies and buy another block and build a stroker?
I say both!!! Put the kit on it now for the instant gratification. Then, once the stroker is done......the kit can go on it too. Best of both worlds.....
Old 11-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks!! I went with a stock LQ4 6.0. I reused the pistons, rods, and crank. I did however hone the block, new cam, main, and rod bearings, and new rings. I upgraded the timing chain to the LS6. I changed the rod bolts to the ARP's. Also went with a high volume oil pump and a larger cam.
Still awaiting the dyno tune. So no numbers as of yet. It is unclear of how much money I have tied up in this swap. I do know since last year this time I have spent between $12,000 and $13,000. That includes alot of items not associated with the swap and also some unnecessary items as well. I do know it is expensive to do the swap unless you get really good deals. The cost of the swaps are coming down as competition is out there now where it was non existant a couple of years back. The sky is the limit on what can be spent though. If I were you I would figure out what you want to do with the car and stick to your plan. If I can help you find the best price or an alternate part feel free to ask. I have made some mistakes along the way that is for sure. LS1Tech has been the best thing to happen to these swaps. I have had a ton of help from everyone on here. You will get the occasional smartass from time to time but all in all most are willing to help.
Have you had a chance to romp on it yet? I noticed you had some issues with weight and ride height.

I'm collecting parts now to do a similar swap. I love the way the 5.3 motor scoots my fullsize truck around, and they seem to be a bit cheaper than the 6.0 motors. I don't want to limit myself from the gitgo with the smaller motor, but I think a car that darts around cones and the mountain roads up here will be more fun than a brutually fast car.

Any thoughts? I'm going to look at a couple of 5.3 pullouts this weekend.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RossRinSD
Have you had a chance to romp on it yet? I noticed you had some issues with weight and ride height.

I'm collecting parts now to do a similar swap. I love the way the 5.3 motor scoots my fullsize truck around, and they seem to be a bit cheaper than the 6.0 motors. I don't want to limit myself from the gitgo with the smaller motor, but I think a car that darts around cones and the mountain roads up here will be more fun than a brutually fast car.

Any thoughts? I'm going to look at a couple of 5.3 pullouts this weekend.
The 5.3 is a superb motor with plenty of potential! I just read a recent build up on a junkyard 4.8 that produced 1,204 horsepower so the 5.3 is no slouch. Your not going to save any weight by going with the 5.3 vs. the 6.0 so handling will probably will be the same. The torque of the 6.0 can cause some issues as it is strong throughout the rpm scale. For availability the 5.3 cannot be beat. They go for as little as $300 around here for the short block used. The dimensions of either are the same. The weight difference will be minimal unless there is an aluminum block 5.3 available. The only restriction of the 5.3 is the small bore as you will have to stick with cathedral port heads. Even with cathedral port heads the power is there it just depends on what you want to spend to get it. A junkyard 5.3, large cam, ported heads and a FAST intake with headers will yield around 400-435hp at the crank. Same setup using a 6.0 your prolly in the 525-550hp range at the crank.

As far as "romping on it" the answer is yes!!! In a straight line on dry pavement with street tires first gear is useless without touching the clutch, second spins for just a bit, and third will let you know you overpowered the tires on the shift. Then its hold on cause the front end is light and we are starting to move on. Its the fastest my car has ever been in 42 years and it is not tuned yet. I am pig rich right now so power should improve slightly once the tune is complete. It was a rough road to get this car running but well worth it. The more I drive it the more I like it. Never would I have thought a truck engine could make me change the way I feel about my car. Look at it like this, you find a good deal on a 5.3 and you swap it in, the hard part is over. You drive it for a while and along the way you stumble across a stroker kit for the 5.3 (383ci) or you find a good deal on a 6.0 at that point you purchase either. It will be a lot simpler to change out at this point since everything will bolt up the same on any of the LS engines. Best of luck to you on the engine find and on the swap. If I can help you in any way feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro