Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Do you have any pics of the mount installed you would like to share? Are you sharing the 6 rib belt? Which compressor did you end up going with? Part numbers for everything would be a ++. There are a few guys on here that I know would love to see this happen without modifying the sub. Feel free to share a pic or two on this thread. Thanks
Tony how is it with the low headers? You said you put in taller springs. How much taller were they, how high off the ground are your headers, and do you have any difficulty driving on the road with them?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rp0029
Tony how is it with the low headers? You said you put in taller springs. How much taller were they, how high off the ground are your headers, and do you have any difficulty driving on the road with them?
I was fine with the ride height before I raised it back up. I just dont like the fact that I have to be careful of where and how I drive. I have seen plenty of the low riders with far less ground clearance and survive, I just do not like dragging at all. With the suspension back to stock I have plenty of clearance to drive on the street. The headers still hang lower than desirable but its a trade off. Money versus fitment. I wasnt aware of the ground clearance issue until after the fact so for now I will keep them. I can see a set of Kook's in the future though. I figure when I do the Kook's it will be about the time to do coilovers front and rear along with some wheels.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Crosstraining here are the part numbers for the upper and lower radiator hoses:

Hope that helps, if you need any further information just let me know.
Gates 20603 is the one you are using with the 15* S&P water neck correct? I am going to bite the bullet & get the S&P one & I wanted to make sure I got the right hose.
Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Build. I may have missed it but did you go with stock 6.0 CI or a stroker?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crosstraining
Gates 20603 is the one you are using with the 15* S&P water neck correct? I am going to bite the bullet & get the S&P one & I wanted to make sure I got the right hose.
Thanks
You are right on the hose number. You will have to shorten it to fit. I would cut it long and trim as necessary. I do have the 15 degree neck from S&P as well.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by drenner43
Great Build. I may have missed it but did you go with stock 6.0 CI or a stroker?
Thanks!! I went with a stock LQ4 6.0. I reused the pistons, rods, and crank. I did however hone the block, new cam, main, and rod bearings, and new rings. I upgraded the timing chain to the LS6. I changed the rod bolts to the ARP's. Also went with a high volume oil pump and a larger cam.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Awesome, thanks for the info. You got any numbers FW or RW? How much did you end up having in the conversion alone?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by drenner43
Awesome, thanks for the info. You got any numbers FW or RW? How much did you end up having in the conversion alone?
Still awaiting the dyno tune. So no numbers as of yet. It is unclear of how much money I have tied up in this swap. I do know since last year this time I have spent between $12,000 and $13,000. That includes alot of items not associated with the swap and also some unnecessary items as well. I do know it is expensive to do the swap unless you get really good deals. The cost of the swaps are coming down as competition is out there now where it was non existant a couple of years back. The sky is the limit on what can be spent though. If I were you I would figure out what you want to do with the car and stick to your plan. If I can help you find the best price or an alternate part feel free to ask. I have made some mistakes along the way that is for sure. LS1Tech has been the best thing to happen to these swaps. I have had a ton of help from everyone on here. You will get the occasional smartass from time to time but all in all most are willing to help.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bet I have $13,000 to $15,000 in my swap to
Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Teching In

yeah the occassional smart *** and unrelated unhelpful comments are not limited to this forum, they are on every single one out there. Keep us updated and let us know the how the power feels from the stock 6.0 when you're finished. And thanks for the offers, I'll put that to use one of these days.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Teching In

I just read all 61 pages of this. Awesome work and I admire your determination Now hopefully my LS boat project will come together the same way.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tracked my costs... I'll just say I'm in the $13-15k ballpark if I don't include $3k+ in stuff I sold from the LQ4 as well as the LQ9 I initially bought and made some money on once I found the block cracked at the oil gallery. I also had $1,800+ in avoidable costs ($300 for the initial sh***y 'tune' -- word to the wise, don't use AZTPI for LS engines, there's a reason they have 'TPI' in the name --, nearly $700 to have the trans looked over after I rebuilt it and it didn't have reverse, some extra hardware, etc.). granted, I only reused the original crank and block and rebuilt the tranny, so a more savvy rodder could get a full drivetrain swap done for half that or less.

edit: i'm looking over my cost sheet closer, and man I could have done a ton of things for much cheaper... the AN fuel system and fuel cell is overkill, I spent $200 on a 4L80e x-member that I had to hack up anyway, I have a few hundred dollars in tools (which wouldn't be purchased next time), I had to balance the rotating assembly twice once I found the OEM rods wouldn't work with the new pistons...

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 11-01-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sideways_S13
I just read all 61 pages of this. Awesome work and I admire your determination Now hopefully my LS boat project will come together the same way.
Thanks!!!

I just checked out the boat and all I can say is hold on cause its gonna be a fast *** ride. Awesome work on removing the FEAD altogether. Great forethought!!! The fastest I have been on a boat is 86mph and that was way too fast for my liking. Good luck on the swap it seems you have it going according to plan.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
I tracked my costs... I'll just say I'm in the $13-15k ballpark if I don't include $3k+ in stuff I sold from the LQ4 as well as the LQ9 I initially bought and made some money on once I found the block cracked at the oil gallery. I also had $1,800+ in avoidable costs ($300 for the initial sh***y 'tune' -- word to the wise, don't use AZTPI for LS engines, there's a reason they have 'TPI' in the name --, nearly $700 to have the trans looked over after I rebuilt it and it didn't have reverse, some extra hardware, etc.). granted, I only reused the original crank and block and rebuilt the tranny, so a more savvy rodder could get a full drivetrain swap done for half that or less.

edit: i'm looking over my cost sheet closer, and man I could have done a ton of things for much cheaper... the AN fuel system and fuel cell is overkill, I spent $200 on a 4L80e x-member that I had to hack up anyway, I have a few hundred dollars in tools (which wouldn't be purchased next time), I had to balance the rotating assembly twice once I found the OEM rods wouldn't work with the new pistons...
I try to forget the exact amounts. I started using the approximation method. This way if I keep repeating a lower number somehow my brain starts to believe it. Sort of the way I do my wife. She will be like " where did you get that part" I am like " I have had it for awhile now". That usually works until the kids throw me under the bus and ask mom what came in from UPS today? I think every time I actually drive my car from here on out I will deduct $100 from the investment. I will fool myself into believing I am renting it for the day, yeah thats it!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

I try to forget the exact amounts. I started using the approximation method. This way if I keep repeating a lower number somehow my brain starts to believe it. Sort of the way I do my wife. She will be like " where did you get that part" I am like " I have had it for awhile now". That usually works until the kids throw me under the bus and ask mom what came in from UPS today? I think every time I actually drive my car from here on out I will deduct $100 from the investment. I will fool myself into believing I am renting it for the day, yeah thats it!!!

...true...so true....
Old 11-03-2011, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

That usually works until the kids throw me under the bus and ask mom what came in from UPS today?
I have started threatening my kids that I'm going to get them spaid or neutered when they act up. When they tell me they'll call defax, I tell them that the Humane society has more power.

Really, these cars with the conversions done can run better than a 50,000 vette or 80,000 carrera and our cars aren't depreciating as of now. I think it's a good comprimise and return on investment if we actually use them. I have no regrets.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
I have started threatening my kids that I'm going to get them spaid or neutered when they act up. When they tell me they'll call defax, I tell them that the Humane society has more power.
LOL!!! I never thought about cutting off his *****!

I agree on the value of the car. If your going to stuff one of these engines in something and you do it halfass right, it should have some appeal to someone if you chose to sell it. Good point.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 598 Likes on 474 Posts

If your going to stuff one of these engines in something and you do it halfass right, it should have some appeal to someone if you chose to sell it. Good point.
TSnow,
Wanna sell your car?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
TSnow,
Wanna sell your car?
Lol! I would love to sell my car but I am deep into it. I need to drive it to make it worth my investment. I am into it for $38,000+ so there will be a lot of driving needed to get that back.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 598 Likes on 474 Posts

Lol! I would love to sell my car but I am deep into it. I need to drive it to make it worth my investment. I am into it for $38,000+ so there will be a lot of driving needed to get that back.
LOL. I was being a wiseazz. For some reason, I am betting you kinda knew that and just "played along" . Not saying I wouldn't love to own your ride though. LOL

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro