Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I really like those covers. I've been thinking about putting one on my 12 bolt forever. Glad you got the ride height firgured out changing the rear springs.

Originally Posted by tsnow678
My wife is a superb being! She doesn't say a word about me in the garage nor does she ask me where the money comes from.
Now that's a winner!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the Camaro out this evening and it was a blast. One problem though, the ride height is way too low. I had cut the quarter lips back to clear the tires or at least I thought I cut enough off. This thing squats like a girl with 5 people in it. Back to the drawing board! Guess I am going to buy new springs for the front and rear. With the added weight up front it sets everything too low. To keep the same stance I am going to have to raise the whole thing up. The headers drug and so did the mufflers. I cannot raise the mufflers or headers up so to fix everything at once I am going to have to lift it.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah don't feel bad I still need to fix tranny leak and lower my front end!always something!!!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got some brand new Gulstrand spring never used, I'm not going to use them, make me a offer if you're interested, and I still know where they are, lol
Old 10-16-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your ride height woes. But I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out. I guess I'm lucky that no one can ride in my back seat.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Yeah don't feel bad I still need to fix tranny leak and lower my front end!always something!!!
I agree!!! It seems the more I fix the more I see that needs fixin'! I hold onto the thought that one day this car will be finished but I believe I am wishful thinking.

Steve68 I got some brand new Gulstrand spring never used, I'm not going to use them, make me a offer if you're interested, and I still know where they are, lol
I will PM you later and get some information from you, thanks.

GC99TA Sorry to hear about your ride height woes. But I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out. I guess I'm lucky that no one can ride in my back seat
I was so proud of the new ride height and thought with the stiffer springs I wouldnt have this issue. I am so lost on what to do without spending a small fortune. I would like to have adjustable coilovers front and rear but its not in my budget at this point. I can get new and higher quality leafs for around $160 for the pair and a set of big block front springs for $100. I actually bought air shocks and coil spring spacers that go on the lower control arm. As I am writing this message I have already talked myself out of both. I figure if I am going to break down the front suspension I might as well do it right. I like the ride with just two people in the car but when I add 3 more it wants to drag everywhere. I also have an issue with the tires just touching the quarters when it squats. It hits the white letters only. I have a 1979 WS6 Trans Am disc brake rearend that is 1/2" wider on each side. So to compensate for that I bought 8" rallyes with 4-1/2" back spacing. I can go another 1/2" offset to help and fix my problem but it will introduce three more issues. 1) my parking brake lever on the calipers are running too close to do so 2) I would have to buy the narrower beauty rings and 3) buy more wheels. I had give thought on buying some 17" rallyes to clear the park brake but it looks like Wheel Vintiques uses 15" centers and uses the hoop to make it 17". This would not help one bit. In addition to having to buy new tires and custom wheels. I looked into doing the 18" wheels all the way around but thats going to run me in the $1500-priceless and thats a no-go! Another avenue I thought about venturing down was narrowing the rearend. This would give me all the clearance I need and I could put my 4" off set wheels back on to give them the deep look once again. This also has withdrawals. The new axles I bought would need to be modified, new ends would need to be purchased for the axle tubes (if they make them for factory disc brakes). And once again break my rear endend back down. After all of this my car will still be too low!!! I wouldnt have tires rubbing but it would not fix anything in the suspension. I think tomorrow I am going to go and buy the new springs and see what that does. I just fear the rear leafs are OEM ride height which is naturally set low. The air shocks would be nice to have the instant ride height adjustment but I havent owned a set of them since 1988. They havent changed one thing on them in 23 years. Any thoughts on a reasonable fix?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

eaton detroit spring, in Michigan, can set you up with leafs for a good price, and they can add 1-2" n lowering, you can watch the P-T or Lat G forums for the people that change their minds, QA1 go cheap,

I also have a set of Koni's to go along with the Gulstrand springs, just some ideas,
Old 10-17-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony, there have to be hundreds of those cars with a similar ride height as yours. I wonder if some research would give you the answers you want. My first thought was Kooks for headers that won't drag. Honestly, I have no idea if they make anything or not for your car. All I know is they have a stellar reputation for tucking their tubes in nice and tight. I have their 1 7/8 tubes on my 01 and they fit like a glove...installed even easier...and have a ton of clearance. My son has them on his CTS-V and they have never scraped either...and he has that lowered. Might be worth looking into...but they sure aren't cheap. Next would be to find a muffler that would gain you some room. I don't have a suggestion there either...but there has to be something as there are a lot of 69 Camaros running around that have a stance like yours. I would hate to see you give that up. Might be worth leaving it as is for a while until you can save up for what you really want.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Steve and OldCobraGuy for the responses and offers! I agree with you OldCobra as Kooks do make some fine headers. Thats what I really wanted but at the start of this build $1000 for headers was way over budget. There are things I would do differently "after the fact" but for now I am going to drive the ever livin **** out of this car. I have to to get any kind of return on my investment. I have decided for the time being to go back to stock ride height. This will take care of all my problems at once. It surely isnt as appealing to the eyes but until I can afford coilovers, and some custom exhaust it will have to do. I finished the front today with some new Moog matched springs and will complete the back as soon as my man gets the springs in. He had a set of them last week but they went on a 70 Camaro so it will be later in the week before mine will come in. The front looks as if it is taking off for flight in comparison to what I had. I like the fact I can carry people without the fear of dragging on this and that. My resto guy asked me why I had 5 people in the car, I responded with "cause they fit in it". I carry that many in my Accord, Civic, and Chevy truck why shouldnt I be able to do that in the one vehicle I own that I might actually like to drive? So the dropped look will be gone for the time being but I am going to add a front (1-1/8") and a rear (7/8") sway bar to maybe compensate for better handling. If my kids were out on their own I wouldnt raise it up but since they are not and they do enjoy a ride or two I have to adjust accordingly. I ended up going with the SBC w/air coupe springs (Moog #6312). I almost bought the vert/bbc springs, man I am glad I didn't!!! I gained 2-1/2" with the 6312 springs. 4x4 Camaro anyone?!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Wow, you change your suspension more often than I change my underwear!

Last edited by futureuser; 10-17-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
Wow, you change your suspension more often than I change my underwear!
Seems as if! I am glad I did suspensions and alignments for 2 years or I would be in a world of hurt. Hopefully this last change will get me through a few months so I can save up for some nice uppers, lowers, coilovers, narrowed rearend, and maybe a rear three or four link setup with coilovers. I might just lift it another 4" and put some 26" wheels on it! Just seeing if your paying attention and no I would never **** on a Camaro like that.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Steve... look for some QA1 coil-overs. I know they get dogged-on by the PTers, but they're great for adjustability.

edit: Even if you did do suspensions/alignments for a little while, I don't think you can truthfully say you enjoy rebuilding the front suspension on one of these things. I've done so 5 times in the Nova trying to get things right (I've cursed myself the past 4), and hopefully I get more than 1000 miles out of this setup.

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 10-18-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Do it!

Name:  68camaro4x41207078705.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  27.2 KB
Old 10-18-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
I agree with Steve... look for some QA1 coil-overs. I know they get dogged-on by the PTers, but they're great for adjustability.

edit: Even if you did do suspensions/alignments for a little while, I don't think you can truthfully say you enjoy rebuilding the front suspension on one of these things. I've done so 5 times in the Nova trying to get things right (I've cursed myself the past 4), and hopefully I get more than 1000 miles out of this setup.
It isnt the funnest thing I have done to this car but I dont mind. It beats the hell out of fitting an LS engine into it thats for sure! Oh how I will do things so differently next time. Did I just say next time? I must have bumped my head because there wont be a next time, ha!!! I hope I get 1000 miles out my setup one day maybe.

Clint I am digging it!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

I've got over 3000 on my junker so you've got no excuses. Plus you're more disciplined than me, so you have a car you can drive in all weather. I need to keep rainex applied if there is any hope to drive in the rain and my drag radials don't help. You'll appreciate your investment and won't have any trouble enjoying the ROI.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:23 AM
10 Second Club

Are your new axles 28 spline, so you could use the stock carrier? I am a little worried about busting my rear end when I try the slicks this weekend. I know lot's of guys have gone in the 11s and faster with stock 8.5 but I think I need to start thinking about this.

A friend of mine in Canada has a 12 bolt with a spool and 4.56 sitting in a 76 nova and offered it to me. There's some debate over whether or not gm widened the rear ends in 75 and later novas, but the best info I could find says it's the same dimensions. I think I should run mine until it breaks, or the clutches wear out, and then go get that rear end and rebuild it with a new posi and ring and pinion, since I just have to pay to ship it here.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
Are your new axles 28 spline, so you could use the stock carrier? I am a little worried about busting my rear end when I try the slicks this weekend. I know lot's of guys have gone in the 11s and faster with stock 8.5 but I think I need to start thinking about this.

A friend of mine in Canada has a 12 bolt with a spool and 4.56 sitting in a 76 nova and offered it to me. There's some debate over whether or not gm widened the rear ends in 75 and later novas, but the best info I could find says it's the same dimensions. I think I should run mine until it breaks, or the clutches wear out, and then go get that rear end and rebuild it with a new posi and ring and pinion, since I just have to pay to ship it here.
My Moser axles are 28 spline and are a direct replacement fo the stockers. They are, according to Moser, 30% stronger than stock. I also added the ARP studs to the caps and am running the Trick Flow cover with preload bolts for added security against deflection. I really feel confident the rearend is as solid as I need it. The 76 12 bolt will be or should be 1/2" wider on each side. This is the same issue I ran into with my 79 "Corporate" 10 bolt 8.5". I just bought rallyes with the proper offset to make up for the wider rear. I have a set of 4-1/2" backspacing rallyes I will sell as soon as my 5" backspacing ones come in. The moser axles have a thicker flange and it is pushing my current wheels (4-1/2" backspacing) out and the tires will rub if the suspension should happen to drop again. I had cut the quarters back to clear the sidewall but when I had the 5 people in my car with the old springs the white letters made contact under acceleration. I will eventually but a 9" rear made to fit my car with all of the goodies but until that day I wanted to have the confidence that an axle wasn't going to come flying out the side of my car. I would have run the c-clip eliminators but they are not suggested for the street and they leak. I had a 9" rear under her at one time with a spool and it was a pain in the *** on the street. With manual steering it was all I could do to turn it around without gassing it. That and the fact I could break traction in any turn under full throttle. Forget driving it in the rain with a spool. One tire will always break loose every time you turn. They rotate at different speeds when turning and with them locked one of them will have to give up traction, usually the inside tire. I could turn the car while cruising and the car would slow down on its own.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Future,if my car run as good as yours did at the drag strip I will be thrilled!!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't sell the corporate 10-bolt short future. I think you'll be fine with slicks.

iI you're really concerned, get the moser axles and a girdle cover (since it'll be off anyway), then run the thing until you need a new carrier. Summit could probably have them to your door by Thursday.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tsnow678
My Moser axles are 28 spline and are a direct replacement fo the stockers. They are, according to Moser, 30% stronger than stock. I also added the ARP studs to the caps and am running the Trick Flow cover with preload bolts for added security against deflection. I really feel confident the rearend is as solid as I need it. The 76 12 bolt will be or should be 1/2" wider on each side. This is the same issue I ran into with my 79 "Corporate" 10 bolt 8.5". I just bought rallyes with the proper offset to make up for the wider rear. I have a set of 4-1/2" backspacing rallyes I will sell as soon as my 5" backspacing ones come in. The moser axles have a thicker flange and it is pushing my current wheels (4-1/2" backspacing) out and the tires will rub if the suspension should happen to drop again. I had cut the quarters back to clear the sidewall but when I had the 5 people in my car with the old springs the white letters made contact under acceleration. I will eventually but a 9" rear made to fit my car with all of the goodies but until that day I wanted to have the confidence that an axle wasn't going to come flying out the side of my car. I would have run the c-clip eliminators but they are not suggested for the street and they leak. I had a 9" rear under her at one time with a spool and it was a pain in the *** on the street. With manual steering it was all I could do to turn it around without gassing it. That and the fact I could break traction in any turn under full throttle. Forget driving it in the rain with a spool. One tire will always break loose every time you turn. They rotate at different speeds when turning and with them locked one of them will have to give up traction, usually the inside tire. I could turn the car while cruising and the car would slow down on its own.
Thanks Tony. I guess with the stronger axles you worry less about c clip eliminators anyway. I would be more inclined to put money into mine if I had the disc brakes and my center section was welded at the proper angle. I think you will be good to go too, although I can't wait to see dump the clutch at 5000 rpm on slicks!

If I get the 12 bolt from my buddy, I will budget a new posi and set of gears, although it might be fun just to try the 4.56 and see what it will do. He described it having bearings on the outside, but I am guessing they might be c clip eliminators.

I guess I will take my chances a little with my stock axel 8.5 and the slicks and try to make friends with a tow truck driver.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro