Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quaman
Stellar car Tsnow.

Whats next after several miles? big brake and rim package? Rear bumper guards, as i see you still have the holes for them. Let me know if your interested in a spare set of great quality OE bumper guards I have, aswell as any other smaller trim pieces n whatnots.
Hopefully all of the above! I really dont need big brakes and I like the rallyes just fine. I would love to have some aftermarket wheels but I am stuck on the old school look. There are so many wheel combinations out there it gets overwhelming trying to find just one set. Then when you do find the set you like they are $1100 each just for the wheel. As far as the bumper guards, do have the bumperettes that hang below the back bumper or the full bumper guard?
Attached Thumbnails LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-800px-1969_blue_chevrolet_camaro_ss_rear.jpg   LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-bumper-full.jpg  
Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fender lips? Break out the cutoff wheel.. Rolling of fender lips looks like doo doo, in my opinion. Just got done doing this mod, took all of 10 minutes a side.

Edit: I also ment the bumperettes that hang down like teeth to the lower panel. Im quite partial to them haha.

I hear you on the rims. I would stick with original rallyes aswell, but i forsee a 4th gen brake swap in my near future.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The lowered rear makes the car look 10x better!

Looks great!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quaman
Fender lips? Break out the cutoff wheel.. Rolling of fender lips looks like doo doo, in my opinion. Just got done doing this mod, took all of 10 minutes a side.

Edit: I also ment the bumperettes that hang down like teeth to the lower panel. Im quite partial to them haha.

I hear you on the rims. I would stick with original rallyes aswell, but i forsee a 4th gen brake swap in my near future.
Yeah I am going to do the quarter clearance when I install the Moser axles, carrier studs and aluminum cover. I will prolly do as you did and use the cutoff wheel. I only need a little off the edges, I just dont want to cut through the welds between the quarters and outer wheelhousings.

How much for the bumperettes?

Your right, the brake mod will be in the near future. I just dont want any clearance issues between the brakes and wheels. I had give some thought to the 17" rallyes but I am not too sure which route I will go. I may wear these tires down before I decide. I kick myself as I gave away the factory front drum assemblies years ago. I could use the hubs now.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
The lowered rear makes the car look 10x better!

Looks great!
Thanks bonecrrusher! Did you make it to the PowerTour this year? I swear I seen your car in the coverage of it. I sent C6Matt a video clip of the PowerTour with his car front and center.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Yeah I am going to do the quarter clearance when I install the Moser axles, carrier studs and aluminum cover. I will prolly do as you did and use the cutoff wheel. I only need a little off the edges, I just dont want to cut through the welds between the quarters and outer wheelhousings.

How much for the bumperettes?

Your right, the brake mod will be in the near future. I just dont want any clearance issues between the brakes and wheels. I had give some thought to the 17" rallyes but I am not too sure which route I will go. I may wear these tires down before I decide. I kick myself as I gave away the factory front drum assemblies years ago. I could use the hubs now.
Right on, ther spot welds are basicly right up against the outside portion of the quarter panel, i virtually removed all of my quarter lip. While just removing very little of the inner wheel house.

Bumperettes, P.M me.. I will get them out of storage. I also may have another set of drum hubs. I believe there is a full 70 nova front clip, down to the subframe and what not in my pasture.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the car Snow!!! It looks great! I can not wait to see video of this thing in action! I do not think the engine compartment looks too cluttered at all, I can only HOPE to make mine as clean when all said and done. Great work and PM me if you need those LS calipers, I might have an extra set of fronts and/or rears.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MisterD
Congrats on the car Snow!!! It looks great! I can not wait to see video of this thing in action! I do not think the engine compartment looks too cluttered at all, I can only HOPE to make mine as clean when all said and done. Great work and PM me if you need those LS calipers, I might have an extra set of fronts and/or rears.
Thanks MisterD!!! I am not used to seeing so much stuff under my hood. After looking at the 4th gen Camaros mine looks primitive. I like the clean look and wish I had used a bulkhead instead of seperating the heat from the freon but oh well!!! As far as brake upgrades at this point I am going to keep what I have as I would have to upgrade wheel diameter to make it happen and I am not ready for that at this point, Camaro fund is at an all time low!!! I will prolly upgrade the wheels once I get some useage out of the new tires I already own. Once they show wear I will prolly abandon the rallyes and move onto bigger and better things. At that point I will upgrade the brakes. I have to get a little back from the money already spent. I am in the process of upgrading my axles, rear cover and studs for the carrier. After this is complete I will pound the **** out of it for next few months and hopefully with bonuses and such I will have enough saved to buy a set of wheels and tires. I may contact you shortly on suggestions on brakes if you dont mind?!?! Thanks for the offer either way!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks bonecrrusher! Did you make it to the PowerTour this year? I swear I seen your car in the coverage of it. I sent C6Matt a video clip of the PowerTour with his car front and center.
Indeed - I did make the PT again.

Name:  hrpt-1106-long-hauler-photos-2021JPG.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  183.4 KB

I saw the clip of Matt's car - I have that episode on my HD - I may have to go back and watch it again.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 AM
TECH Addict

Did you do the entire tour or did you jump in around Tennessee? Next time it runs close to home I plan on riding along.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya me too PT 2025, when my car is running, maybe my grandaughter will drive me!!!

Just kidding, car looks great!!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you do the entire tour or did you jump in around Tennessee? Next time it runs close to home I plan on riding along.
I have done the long haul 3 years in a row now - '09, '10, '11...

I will not be doing the long haul in 2012 since Texas is damn near a 2 day drive back to NC...

I think I will start in MI - and veer off to Chicago to go home and see the folks.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

I pulled the old axle out in preparation for the new Mosers. I decided to use the factory style axle bearings instead of the "axle savers". This proved to be a chore as I had used silicone to seal the axle savers prior to installation. The reason for the axle savers, I had significant wear on the original race where the axle bearing resided. I could not find a set of replacement axles at the time I built the rearend. So I opted for the axle savers which move the bearing further out on the axles to prevent unwanted loss motion. I used heat, a slide pull, hammer and chisel and finally resorted to using a die grinder and worked the outer race down to the housing before it would budge. Here is a photo of the first one I attempted to remove. Please dont frown at the mess as it a royal pain in the ***!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old axles next to the new Mosers.

[IMG][/IMG]

Splines on the mosers:

[IMG][/IMG]

Splines on the factory axles. Notice the amount of engagement old versus new.

[IMG][/IMG]

The 8.5" 10 bolt posi with 3.42 gears. I am replacing the carrier bearing retainer bolts with ARP studs. Heres the before:

[IMG][/IMG]

The new ARP studs versus the original GM bolt.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The new studs are in and torqued to 65 ft-lbs.

[IMG][/IMG]

The new Trick Flow aluminum cover with the preload studs. This is a nice piece and fit perfectly.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last but not least, the new axles installed. I know this doesnt appear to have anything to do with an LS swap but if you think about it does. You upgrade the engine and now have a ton more power, you swap out the 4 speed for a T56 which will hold more torque, I beefed up the driveshaft to suit so it only makes sense to add a little reliability to the rearend. Nothing like an axle coming out at highway speeds. The Mosers are 30% stronger than stock axles and with the studs and rear cover I feel confident she should hold up for a while.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Steve68
ya me too PT 2025, when my car is running, maybe my grandaughter will drive me!!!

Just kidding, car looks great!!
Hopefully the East Coast gang can get together and maybe catch a near future PowerTour. Good to hear from ya! You have my Camaro running yet?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
I have done the long haul 3 years in a row now - '09, '10, '11...

I will not be doing the long haul in 2012 since Texas is damn near a 2 day drive back to NC...

I think I will start in MI - and veer off to Chicago to go home and see the folks.
I agree on the Texas drive! That would be a long haul for even a modern car. Damn if I want to ride on these ill *** factory buckets that long. Michigan is still a good drive but it may just be worth it.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully the East Coast gang can get together and maybe catch a near future PowerTour. Good to hear from ya! You have my Camaro running yet?
I've still got my finger's crossed for a favorable route in 2014. I'll once again be a part of the East Coast gang next summer!!!

The rear end parts look great. Nothing like some extra added insurance against breakage. What did your 8.5 come out of originally? Nova?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GC99TA
I've still got my finger's crossed for a favorable route in 2014. I'll once again be a part of the East Coast gang next summer!!!

The rear end parts look great. Nothing like some extra added insurance against breakage. What did your 8.5 come out of originally? Nova?
Thanks Gary! The East Coast welcomes you!!!

The rear is out of a 79 Trans Am WS6 3.08 posi with factory disc brakes. Its a half of an inch wider on each side so I offset the rallyes to accomodate.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Gary! The East Coast welcomes you!!!
Thanks man.....it'll be good to be back "home".

The rear is out of a 79 Trans Am WS6 3.08 posi with factory disc brakes. Its a half of an inch wider on each side so I offset the rallyes to accomodate.
Ahh, that makes sense. Is the leaf spring spacing the same between a 1st and 2nd gen, or did you have to relocate the spring perches too? The reason for all my questions is because my buddy is looking for an 8.5 for his 68 Camaro and was limiting his searches to Novas. But, since he plans on "custom" wheels anyway, the extra 1/2 inch on either side wouldn't be a big deal. He'd just need an extra 1/2 back space on his wheels like you suggested. But, until I get there, I don't know if he'd be up to relocating spring perches.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 AM
TECH Addict

I did in fact relocate the perches. I cut the old welds off without disturbing the perch or the axle tube and reused them. The 15" x 8" rallyes now have a 4-1/2" back spacing versus the standard 4". I know of an alternative for your friend, find a 1956 or slightly newer Ford 9" rearend out of a galaxie. It will measure 51-52" backing plate to plate and the spring perches will fit like it was made for the Camaro. I know this because I had a 9" rear and traded it for a 1970 Z/28 12 bolt posi 4 series carrier with factory 4.10 gears. Of course I sold that rear for $1200 and had $100 in the 9". Then I traded two old bucket seats and a broken console for the current rearend. The next day on craigslist.com a guy 15 minutes from the house had a 3.42 Richmond gear set and the Richmond installation kit all brand new in the boxes for $135-$150. I know have a few hundred dollars in the rear but it should be well worth it. If you need help locating a rearend for your friend I may could help. If he needs it modified I may could help with that also.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did in fact relocate the perches. I cut the old welds off without disturbing the perch or the axle tube and reused them. The 15" x 8" rallyes now have a 4-1/2" back spacing versus the standard 4". I know of an alternative for your friend, find a 1956 or slightly newer Ford 9" rearend out of a galaxie. It will measure 51-52" backing plate to plate and the spring perches will fit like it was made for the Camaro. I know this because I had a 9" rear and traded it for a 1970 Z/28 12 bolt posi 4 series carrier with factory 4.10 gears. Of course I sold that rear for $1200 and had $100 in the 9". Then I traded two old bucket seats and a broken console for the current rearend. The next day on craigslist.com a guy 15 minutes from the house had a 3.42 Richmond gear set and the Richmond installation kit all brand new in the boxes for $135-$150. I know have a few hundred dollars in the rear but it should be well worth it. If you need help locating a rearend for your friend I may could help. If he needs it modified I may could help with that also.
Thanks as always for the great and complete info. I'll hit you up via PM to discuss the rear further so as to not ***** up your thread any more with talk about my buddies car. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro