Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls2/ 4l70e

Tsnow- well, this is about the best I can do for a thread right now... http://www.screaminperformance.net/g...ert/index.html

Brian @ ScreaminPerformance is doing the honors! He is very meticulous! What started out as a brake upgrade and LS2-swap turned into a full-blown rebuild! I've owned the 'vert for 17 yrs and in '98 did a "frame on" resto (new sheet metal and paint). But when I got back from overseas this last trip in Nov '10 I decided to go with the LSx combo. Once Brian dove into it, we realized the floors were shot! Since I plan on keeping her for at least another 17 yrs I figured, what the Hell!... so now I present "Project Pro-crastination"...

LS2/4L70E
Baer Track 4 & ST
AAW re-wire
VintageAir
Raceline GT2 18"

I will be watching your progress to assist in my build. As a matter of fact, I ordered the DynaTech's on your advice. Keep up the great work!

Tango
Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice build!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tango,
Looks like you have a sweet build in the process!!! I was fortunate as my pans were good. Everything else was replaced though. I am sure once you get it back it will all be worth it. Good luck and stay in touch. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks pitbull!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tango68ss
Tsnow- well, this is about the best I can do for a thread right now... http://www.screaminperformance.net/g...ert/index.html

Brian @ ScreaminPerformance is doing the honors! He is very meticulous! What started out as a brake upgrade and LS2-swap turned into a full-blown rebuild! I've owned the 'vert for 17 yrs and in '98 did a "frame on" resto (new sheet metal and paint). But when I got back from overseas this last trip in Nov '10 I decided to go with the LSx combo. Once Brian dove into it, we realized the floors were shot! Since I plan on keeping her for at least another 17 yrs I figured, what the Hell!... so now I present "Project Pro-crastination"...

LS2/4L70E
Baer Track 4 & ST
AAW re-wire
VintageAir
Raceline GT2 18"

I will be watching your progress to assist in my build. As a matter of fact, I ordered the DynaTech's on your advice. Keep up the great work!

Tango
Meticulous is a understatement, he's a spectacular welder, truly an artist,

I'm going to have him do a 4 pt with a removeable harness bar in my 68,
Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Default Ls2/ 4l70e

Steve- Amen Brother! Brian is the shiznit!! He knows his first gens like no one else!! I am totally pleased with his work and would recommend him to everyone!

You were at the roll-out too? Nice night! Though I had to turn around and fly today, it was well worth it! I've been working the Shuttle program for 15 yrs and am sad to see it go...

Tango
Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

You were at the roll-out too? Nice night! Though I had to turn around and fly today, it was well worth it! I've been working the Shuttle program for 15 yrs and am sad to see it go...

Tango
Bet it looked gorgeous at night.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Steve- Amen Brother! Brian is the shiznit!! He knows his first gens like no one else!! I am totally pleased with his work and would recommend him to everyone!

Tango

I took the kids mainly, I've seen it so many times, been here 23 yrs, half on 2nd the rest on 1st, it looked great, so nice and white, it's all in the lights!!

It's really going to be bad when it ends, our gov't need to get on track with future exploration and tech advancements, the bickering between NASA and congress needs to stop,

Known Brian for a while now, you car there now, he's supposedly ordering me some parts,
Old 02-02-2011, 05:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69-er
Bet it looked gorgeous at night.
Looked great!! there's pics on www.nasa.gov, been to your neck of the woods also, White Sands Space Harbour, nice name huh, cool place to go, lots of cool stuff out there,
Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve68
Looked great!! there's pics on www.nasa.gov, been to your neck of the woods also, White Sands Space Harbour, nice name huh, cool place to go, lots of cool stuff out there,
I still call Northrup Strip as it was called back when we supported the landing in '82. Never did like the new name!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now that, I didn't know, what do you do out there??
Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

I was a USAF helicopter flight mechanic flying the Pararescue guys around in case there was a mishap on landing.

I always wanted to work at the Cape when I got out. After the Challenger disaster, it seems I remember there was a hiring freeze. Never pursued it.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got there in 88, right before return to flight, which was sept 88, you cant try now my jobs teetering, the end is near,

Cool job though at the beginning of a cool era,
Old 02-02-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Well here a couple of things you might need. The top box is for the pilot bearing, thought maybe you might need a part number And the bottom box is the part number for the outputshaft seal for the LS1 T56. The pilot bearing wasn't any problem at all to find but the output shaft seal on the other hand was difficult. I went to Advance Auto, Oreilly's, Napa, AutoZone, and a few local parts houses and nobody had it or could get. They wanted the number off of my old seal just to try and find it. GM had it for $62 but no can do. I wasn't sure if the old one was bad I was just replacing it to be on the safe side. I went to old faithful Rock Auto and they had one left. I grabbed it and $20 later it was on the way. Its bad when all you have to talk about are output seals. Sorry!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Pilot bearing is in.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Working on the firewall repairs. I am repairing some old holes that were put in it by the previous owner and by myself. I am removing the old seam sealer and will replace it with new. Guess I am commited now I just welded it up the old speedo cable exit for good.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

This is a piece I made to lay inside of the old speedo hole for something to weld to. I used a socket that was smaller than the hole and one that was about a 1/4" bigger than it and used it to smash the center to a step. I then took a socket that was about a 1/4" bigger than the larger one used earlier to smash it back flat. A little trimming and there it is.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

The holes are welded shut and now for some grinding and filling. Pretty pleased how it turned out. It will look a lot better once done. The top hole looks like this dogs ******* I once owned, poor boy! Notice the seam sealer is removed above this area. And guess what I found, rust! This will never end. I would have never knew it was there until I removed the old stuff. Well glad its not through just surface rust. I had given some thought to go ahead and weld the three layers shut once and for all and skip the seam sealer but I may just treat it and seal it. Any thoughts on this??? I have hit a slow spot. Getting tired of coming home and working on this piece of ****. I need a break. Now that I have some money put back again I may just go in and spend it all and wait on parts. Take my mind off of this thing for a day or two. Owning an old car has to be ranked up there with crack cocaine! In the past 3 months I have spent $8000+ and still dont have a running driving car. I think its border line insanity to own a musclecar. Enough bitchin get back to work!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve68
I got there in 88, right before return to flight, which was sept 88, you cant try now my jobs teetering, the end is near,

Cool job though at the beginning of a cool era,
What's your job there?

(tsnow678 is gonna get pissed hijacking his thread!)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

No worries from me! PM might work better for you or you might want to hit Steve up at his thread. Glad you two have a common interest. I dont know what y'all are discussing but I don't mind reading it. Take care.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 AM
On The Tree

Default Ls2/4l70e

Tony,

Boy! Do I feel your pain! Every time we pull a panel or remove some joint sealer, MORE RUST! It is a pain-in-the-***, but it is a passion! Like Brian says, " we don't do it (restore old muscle cars) to make money, we do it because it's a labor of love!.. We must be crazy!"... Brian Johnston.

69-er,
I'm currently with the 920th out of Patrick. Former PaveHawk driver, now the CC of the HC-130 unit! Been flying Shuttle Rescue support for 15 yrs now (as well as CSAR)...probably run with the same "homies"! ....that others may live! Bro!

Tango

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro