Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking engine you have there! Of course your car is just as awesome! Now to get you to convert and get a thread over here so we can keep up with your build!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yah, what he said!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
After searching and searching I finally decided to drill and tap the water pump for the steam vent. It is the highest point on the cooling system that can be accessed. So I drilled a 11/32" hole and used a 1/8" pipe tap and made it happen. I used a spring loaded center punch and progressively enlarge the hole to 11/32". I greased up a pipe tap and went at it. This is the final result. I did however go back and run the tap in a little deeper to lower the fitting once tightened.

[IMG][/IMG]
looks like this is what i will be doing tomorrow!!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
looks like this is what i will be doing tomorrow!!
Look at this thread and see what you think about the connector that goes into the hose. It has a petcock and a fitting to bleed out air.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...eam-vents.html

If you choose to do what I did, Oreilly's Auto has the fitting in their brake fitting section behind the counter. Its a 1/8" to 3/16" 90 degree fitting. The 3/16" end has a bubble in the end so a hose can be clamped onto it.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Great thread and appreciate the detailed imformation you're sharing!!!! Subscribed....
Old 03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MrBollWeevil97
Great thread and appreciate the detailed imformation you're sharing!!!! Subscribed....
Thank you MrBollWeevil97!!!

I had to shorten the driveshaft 3/8" off of the end of the slip yoke. I was down to 5/8" freeplay with the suspension loaded. I called Oliver's driveshaft to see what the minimum was and as I expected him to say, "you need an inch to work with". So since the slip yoke I had installed was so long and the interference was inside the transmission at the end of the yoke, I just trimmed off of the end of the slip. I rounded it back off so it wouldnt damage the outputshaft seal when installed. I finally did some correct math and it worked out perfect!!! It was amazing at the difference in lengths of the slip yokes between the 1310 series and the 1350. I finished clamping the heater hose bypass, made a throttle cable bracket to work with the LS3 intake, and loctitied the driveshaft in. I will be working on the exhaust, throttle cable, dip stick, fuel tank(if I dont blow it up), remote oil filter and lines, and whatever else time allows for. Maybe evn have time to start connecting the harness.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

This is the throttle cable and bracket installed. I used a piece of 1" x 3/16" and bent it for some strength. I then welded a nut on the end for the cable. The hole in the nut was larger than the threads on the cable adjuster.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-12-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Here is the remote oil filter adapter. I bolted it to the frame rail so it would be low and out of the way. I also mounted it so the filter would be easy to change. I routed the lines between the engine and the frame stands. 10AN line and fittings.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Lokar dipstick is in and bolted down. I am unsure whether or not it will read properly. I will have to add the correct amount of oil and check it. For now its merely for show. Nice unit though. Quality piece and reasonably priced. That concludes todays work on the swap. I will work on routing the PCV lines and hopefully get the exhaust buttoned back up. If time allows it will be radiator time tomorrow. The list is getting smaller and smaller.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

You might get yours running first. Nice progress.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great, nice work on the lines and cable,
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Steve68
Looks great, nice work on the lines and cable,
Thanks Steve!
I routed the PCV lines yesterday in factory form for now. I am going to wait to hear this thing run before I will buy a catch can. The catch can is a def on my list though. Started to mount the radiator and did some mismearuing. I didnt realize until yesterday that the hole in the radiator support that lets the radiator have air is off center from the rest of the car. I also didnt take into consideration that the filler neck of the radiator was higher than the top of the tanks. Why I didnt see that is beyond me. Anyways after relocating the lower brackets I test fit the hoses I purchase. I nailed the top hose but wasted the lower. I am using an adapter for the thermostat housing which allows me to run a standard SBC thermostat housing. It is a 45 degree housing that can be positioned 4 different ways. I will attempt to use the straight down position. The top hose I used has an 1 1/2" end and a 1 3/8" end with the correct distance between bends. I couldnt have got a better top hose. Once I figure out the lower hose I will begin to finish the top radiator mounts and include the fan/shroud. The exhaust is next on my list after the cooling system is done. Heading to the muffler shop and see if they have a two bolt ball flange setup for the 2 1/2" pipes. This way I can remove the center section of pipes in case of a clutch or transmission issue. Wiring will be right after that and then the dreaded gas tank mods! Not looking forward to that. If you hear a large explosion in the piedmont of NC it was me. Notice the "was"!!!! Anyone going to Charlotte for the 4 lanes of NHRA drag racing April 16th???? 2 tickets with your choice of 2 shirts, 2 hats, 2 beer vouchers, or 2 hot dogs for $60. Not a bad deal to see the big boys run.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Got to looking at all of the threads I am subscribed to and was amazed of how many of us are doing a similar swap and how many of us are in the very same spot in our build. Here is the break down from my stand point:

Futureuser= running
Rnation0001= running
i1aroc= running
Gmag= running
wicked mayhem= running
hookemdevils22= running

Now for the unfortunate ones:
tsnow678
crosstraining
chevy406
bmf5150
steve68
gc99ta
frojoe
billsnogo

All of the unfortunate ones have their engines and transmissions in but havent heard not one sound out of the engine. You guys suck including me! I am getting the exhaust done tonight if I have to stay up till time to go to work. I will then have to rest from the car and finish the golf cart. Fuel tank is next and wiring and then maybe I can make it to the list of runners. I may just drive by and taunt you others. Get your fingers out of your asses and lets hear these engines run!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need my wiring harness done, install the subframe, install the rearend, get my tank, there's lots to do........

but thanks for subscribing to my thread, might mean I actually have a following, or somebody thats intrested!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Way I'm going,mine will be last one done!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Got to looking at all of the threads I am subscribed to and was amazed of how many of us are doing a similar swap and how many of us are in the very same spot in our build. Here is the break down from my stand point:

Futureuser= running
Rnation0001= running
i1aroc= running
Gmag= running
wicked mayhem= running
hookemdevils22= running

Now for the unfortunate ones:
tsnow678
crosstraining
chevy406
bmf5150
steve68
gc99ta
frojoe
billsnogo

All of the unfortunate ones have their engines and transmissions in but havent heard not one sound out of the engine. You guys suck including me! I am getting the exhaust done tonight if I have to stay up till time to go to work. I will then have to rest from the car and finish the golf cart. Fuel tank is next and wiring and then maybe I can make it to the list of runners. I may just drive by and taunt you others. Get your fingers out of your asses and lets hear these engines run!!!
Yeah, Hurry up! Seriously, the difference between yours running and mine running is that yours will actually do something running. And to the rest of you: Don't forget to wash those fingers before playing with your tools!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Way I'm going,mine will be last one done!
yea, I doubt that,
Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Bmf will prolly beat all of us non-runners. Steve yours will be right when its done! Futureuser all of the other stuff is one day at a time. I just want hear what $8800 sounds like. Maybe once that burden is lifted I will feel more at ease with the expense. Dont worry about washing the hands just dont smell the finger cause I promise you it stinks!

On the brighter side, The exhaust is fit and welded. Just letting some paint dry now. I will have some much needed pics tomorrow for sure. I think I will drop the car back down off of the stands after the exhaust is done so I can finish up the radiator, hoses, wiring, and figure out what kind of air intake I will run. I talked to a friend of mine today and he has everything I need to fab up the gas tank. I have the parts just no sheetmetal equipment. I want this done right the first time so the right tools might just help out. He has a spot welder, box/pan brake, metal shears (electric), and whatever else is needed.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

The pipes from the headers back to just in front of the mufflers all welded up and painted.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-17-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

The exhaust all buttoned up and ready.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro