Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by futureuser
If this works, and I'm sure it will, you could start a business doing thses mods.
I wish! This was someone elses idea on the tank mod. But your right there is a market for it. If Firstgenguy (the original designer) had the time he was going to market them. All it would take is to get new tanks, a reliable metal fab shop and some time and you are set.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

What's taking so long? I'm ready to hear this run already!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah,it's a cool idea,how much u have into the whole thing?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
What's taking so long? I'm ready to hear this run already!
I know right!!! I am a few days away from getting the tank back. I am in the middle of changing out the under the dash harness. I had to disassemble the entire dash just about to get to two light sockets on top of the gauges. Hopefully tomorrow I will have the harness in and can start on the engine bay wiring. Not too far off now. That is if it fires up and no issues arise.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Yeah,it's a cool idea,how much u have into the whole thing?
$130 for the tank if I had to buy it. I already owned it so it was pretty much free.
$225 for the ford fuel pump
$80 to seal the tank
$25 for sheetmetal, bolts, washers, and lock washers.

So if I were to have started with nothing I would have $460 total. Minus $130 since I already had the tank available my total is $330. I guess its not too bad at least until I can afford the Rick's or a comparable tank. Too bad the Spectra didnt work out. I bought it for $335 and would have been a drop in fit.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Yep, I'm rolling the dice with my spectra, but so far have had 5 trouble free miles.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
What is the thingy in the bottom of the tank in this pic? Looks good. How deep is the pump assembly? Any required mounting of the pump? O-ring on the bottom of the pump lid? Does the pump come with a level/sender? (I forgot what it looks like) If so. will it work with our GM guages or does ford use a different ohm rating?

Sorry for the questions. lol. I am on the fence on baffling my Spectra EFI tank vs. getting a new tank and doing the FirstGenGuy(and now TSNOW678) pump mod.

I am getting anxious to see/hear your car run, LOL. I can imagine how you feel. lol

thanks,
JIm
Sorry for the delay I did not realize you had posted.
The thing in the bottom of the tank is a bracket to hold the fuel pump assembly in place. It is merely sheetmetal rolled to fit the pump assembly. I added some tabs for better adhesion to the bottom of the tank since I soldered it in place. I didnt want to take a chance of burning a hole through the bottom of the tank.

[IMG][/IMG]

If I remember correctly the pump assembly is around 5" tall to the top of the canister.

Yes the lid has a seal affixed to it that will seal against the perimeter.
It does have a fuel level sender attached to the pump assembly and no its different than the GM sender. A GM is 0-90 ohm and the Ford sender is 15-135 ohm. It will show fuel in the tank even if it were dry. I plan on getting the Dakota Digital gauges as soon as money allows. They are adjustable to whatever sender you have. Until then I will just have to do a little trial and error to figure out where my fuel level is. I usually fill it up on every outing anyways. I have multiple pictures of the entire assembly a page back if you want to browse through them. If there is an angle or something you need let me know I will be happy to snap a few pics for you.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Great job on the tank! Curious what you did by adding extra metal to weld to (remember you talking about that). Looks like your weld went smoother than mine. After I practiced burning a few holes in the tank I had her dialed in....lol
Old 05-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

What are you planning for fuel line between pump and filter? I used a -6 an compression fitting on the factory tube comming from the pump lid.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by firstgenguy
Great job on the tank! Curious what you did by adding extra metal to weld to (remember you talking about that). Looks like your weld went smoother than mine. After I practiced burning a few holes in the tank I had her dialed in....lol
I added a lip that went under the tank so as to have someting to weld to. Its a little more forgiving than trying to butt weld the two thin pieces together. Of course it was a royal pain in the *** trying to bend the metal into this shape on a pan brake. I used pretty thick metal, I should have used some thinner material and it would have went smoother.

[IMG][/IMG]

Your finished product looks great and mine will look like ****. I figure as long as it is not visible from the bottom it doesnt really matter. If people get that close to my car we have a whole lot of other things to worry about. You did an awesome job and without your ingenuity I would have had to wait till something came along I could afford. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

What are you planning for fuel line between pump and filter? I used a -6 an compression fitting on the factory tube comming from the pump lid.
I am going to use the OEM style fuel line and they make a connector for both the outlet and return.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

I like the way you broke that pan out.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

I like the way you broke that pan out.

Thanks!
Trust me that picture was taken after a lot of hammering and dollying. Once I broke the small lip the pan brake wanted to collapse the sides. The fingers on the brake are too thick as it is a chinese version. What I would like to have is a press brake and problem solved. Did you see the picture of the baking pan next to the pan I broke out? They are very similar and would have been a lot easier to modify rather than braking out flat sheetmetal.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it looks great!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Teching In

tsnow. I like the idea of using the baking pan, that way when it gets warm your car smells like brownies... ummm brownies.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I think it looks great!
Thanks man!

tsnow. I like the idea of using the baking pan, that way when it gets warm your car smells like brownies... ummm brownies.
I knew I should have used the brownie pan damn!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I have to admit I have hit a lazy streak. I picked up the gas tank from the radiator shop yesterday. And to my surprise they originally were going to charge $80 to clean the tank, and double coat the insides. I went to pick it up and they did in fact clean it, double coat it and added a drain to the lowest point to get the left over coating out since everything now has a lip on it and the excess would not have had a place to run out. All this for $65!!! It was hard to take a picture of the coating but you can see it a little. It is red and sort of rubbery. A friend of mine used this same radiator shop and had the same procedure done with great success. He was changing out his fuel filter every couple of months until the tank was coated. He has run this coating now for three years without any adverse affects except now he has the same fuel filter on it since it was coated.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Another angle of the pump assembly and the coating.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Another tidbit of good news was that all of my welds were solid without any leakage. He said originally he was going to pressurize the tank but I did not ask whether or not he performed that test. I do know I went to the company that produced the coating and it is advertised to seal holes from 1/32"-1/16" without any problems. Here is the fuel pump lid bolted down with stainless hardware. Krylon used to make a paint that was great it was called "dull aluminum" but for some reason they stopped producing it. I happen to find a Krylon "Matte aluminum" and was hoping it was the same but it turns out to be more like chrome paint. The painted parts are out of view so it will have to suffice.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very interesting, what it's called I need to get the Nova tank done,

everything looks great!!!

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro