Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by futureuser
Natural Light Beer and Diet Dr. Pepper? You thought you had wiring problems? Geeze.
I started off drinking Dr. Pepper but after being in the hot garage and having to bend over for a few hours I HAD to have a beer or two. I should have started with the beer.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow,that's alot of wire!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tsnow678
It states it has a PCV port??? If so the passenger side will hook to this port.
THAT is a big lie.
Unless I am a complete retard.
Some guy posted a video showing it. There is no PCV port.
Do you see any problem with hooking up some kind of miniature air filter to the line on the driver's side? After all, that is how the old school engines ran, the only PCV hose on my 383 engine went from the passenger valve cover to the manifold. The driver's side inlet just had a breather.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rp0029
THAT is a big lie.
Some guy posted a video showing it. There is no PCV port.
Do you see any problem with hooking up some kind of miniature air filter to the line on the driver's side? After all, that is how the old school engines ran, the only PCV hose on my 383 engine went from the passenger valve cover to the manifold. The driver's side inlet just had a breather.
I would make sure you had vacuum to the the PCV and I guess you can run a breather to the other side no matter which side it is on. The engine I have has the PCV on the drivers side. You should have a port on the intake directly behind the throttle body for the PCV hook up.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tsnow...I know that pile of spaghetti looks like a very daunting task, but if you are at all comfortable working with wiring, it's not. Just time consuming. Get you a soldering torch, solder, flux, and shrink wrap and have at it. I've done a ton of these conversion harnesses. The secret is having the factory wiring diagram(s) and soldering and shrink wrapping every single connection you do so you don't have corrosion issues in 5 years. When you have it like you want it, don't settle for taping it...go buy some quality wire loom and put it all in that. Much more professional looking. Just don't buy that crap from Autozone, etc. Get the good stuff.

By the way, I prefer to use solderless connectors on my wire unions. Either get the ones that have no plastic insulation or knock the connector out of the plastic insulation. Crimp the wires together, THEN solder and shrink wrap. They will never come apart and will make a very solid, resistance free connection.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

I started off drinking Dr. Pepper but after being in the hot garage and having to bend over for a few hours I HAD to have a beer or two. I should have started with the beer.
I shouldn't have been wining so much about my harness, in retrospect I had it pretty good. When you get done and we meet up, beer's on me.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ever had a flaming Dr. Pepper? Long story short: Take 3/4 full mug of beer. Fill a shot glass with 3 parts Amaretto and 1 part Everclear or 151. Light the shot on fire, drop it into the beer and slam it . Tastes just like Dr. Pepper! Good fun.

Anyway, things are looking good man. Just take your time with that harness and things will come together. I'm with you though on starting the car before you sort that all out and route it pretty. Nothing worse that having to tear back into your hard work to chase a wiring gremlin.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
When you get done and we meet up, beer's on me.
Heck yeah!!! Hopefully this will happen soon.

GC99TA- I am down with the flaming Dr. Pepper! I will try that one when I finally hear this thing run.

I dicked around in the garage for a few minutes late today as my daughter had a sports banquet that lasted till 8:00. I managed to unpin an existing wire that went to nowhere. #63 on the green plug. It was something to do with the trans fluid level or something. It was just taped up in the harness, imagine that. I am surprised at how easy it is to unpin these wires now. I may write them all down just for future use. I could un pin them all and untangle my mess to the next level. For now I am going to tape everything out of the way just to hear this thing run. Tomorrow is the fuel tank reinstall, fuel lines, fuel filter/regulator and wires to the sender and fuel pump. If time allows I will start the wiring to the starter etc. After that it will be temporary wires run to the computer. If she pops off and runs then its back to the harness routing.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
Tsnow...I know that pile of spaghetti looks like a very daunting task, but if you are at all comfortable working with wiring, it's not.

By the way, I prefer to use solderless connectors on my wire unions. Either get the ones that have no plastic insulation or knock the connector out of the plastic insulation. Crimp the wires together, THEN solder and shrink wrap. They will never come apart and will make a very solid, resistance free connection.
I will have to try the solderless connectors and solder combo. I usually tie the wires together and solder them solid and use heat shrink over all connections. I think you right about the combo being a better joint. The joint will not only be stronger, it will be easier to connect the wires, less wire would need to be stripped, and would look better once the shrink is over it. Thanks for the tip. I am sure I could find the connectors without the insulation somewhere. Where do you recommend finding the better grade wire loom?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rp0029
THAT is a big lie.
Your exactly right on the missing port! Why would they list it in the description and then not put it on their product. Have you called Edelbrock to see what options you have since they falsely advertised the product? If you really wanted to run both hoses to a vacuum source I guess you could tap into the piping to the throttle body prior to it for the passenger side valve cover. Or do what you said and run a breather on the passenger side. Sorry I couldnt be of more help. I see you are talking to futureuser, he has done a hell of a job putting his together with much success. Good luck to you and let us know what you end up doing to remedy your situation.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Post pic of the harness when done
Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Man that wiring doesn't look like much fun at all but it really isn't too bad once you get into it. I hope you get that mess figured out! Good luck and looks like you might need alot more beer for the job!!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

... Where do you recommend finding the better grade wire loom?
I have had pretty good luck with the loom from companies like Standard Motor Products, BWD, Echlin (NAPA). Last time I bought it, I bought the large box of each size I wanted. It will last you quite a while and isn't that expensive. If your local jobber can't find what you are looking for, let me know and I'll see if I can't find the part numbers you need. The cheap stuff is a funny color, and the engine heat will deteriorate it so fast you can't believe it. It will just crumble when you touch it.

I would also expect companies like Painless and similar to carry good stuff.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Post pic of the harness when done
Will do!!!

Man that wiring doesn't look like much fun at all but it really isn't too bad once you get into it. I hope you get that mess figured out! Good luck and looks like you might need alot more beer for the job!!
You are definately right on that one!

I have had pretty good luck with the loom from companies like Standard Motor Products, BWD, Echlin (NAPA). Last time I bought it, I bought the large box of each size I wanted. It will last you quite a while and isn't that expensive. If your local jobber can't find what you are looking for, let me know and I'll see if I can't find the part numbers you need. The cheap stuff is a funny color, and the engine heat will deteriorate it so fast you can't believe it. It will just crumble when you touch it.
Once again thank you. I will see what I can do from NAPA. I did buy some 1" from Home Depot that looks promising but that was before your advice. I know what your talking about on the cheap stuff it has sort of a gray look rather than a rich black. Worse case I can hit up the junk yard and strip some OEM off of a later model vehicle. Pullapart is so cheap its almost fun just going to see whats out there. I could even get the tees from a junker if no goods ones can be found.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Launching!

any updates?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

I have a ton of updates but I have not worked on my car consistently so its random right now. I will pile everything together and update hopefully in the order I did what I did. I have hit a few snags with the harness and the PCM. I will be heading to Tick Performance hopefully tomorrow to get the PCM setup for my specific needs. I found out the guy I paid over $500 didnt do what he said he was going to do. So its going to cost me an additional $125 to get the PCM corrected not counting me having to rewire the entire harness. I have everything laid out on the harness and its just a matter of double checking every wire and solder joint. I will custom fit the harness to my engine bay but more on that in the next couple of days. I took on some other projects that have steered me away but now my sights are set on the car once again. I am not taking on any side work until its at least running. Stay tuned I will do my best. Thanks for asking!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I feel for u,I had same issue with my computer being programed wrong and vats left on!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Launching!

with mine tore apart, i live vicariously through these builds. kinda like a "fix" for the day.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I feel for u,I had same issue with my computer being programed wrong and vats left on!!!
I thought I was good until I read the posts about your situation. And you used a reputable source! Thats when I started to investigate or eliminate any gremlins. Last thing I want is to turn the key and it wont crank because the PCM is not right. I dont mind tracing down other problems but for me to spend hours looking in the wrong area would drive me insane. I appreciate you posting the problems. Some people wouldnt want others to know they wasted money (pride issue). You did me a great service! Thanks
Old 06-07-2011, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls68firebird
with mine tore apart, i live vicariously through these builds. kinda like a "fix" for the day.
Hey you and me both! I check this forum all the time for any information or situation in other peoples swaps that might arise in my build. Sorry to have let you down for the past few weeks. Summer is here and if I didnt get my pontoon ready for the water my wife would prolly burn my car to the ground. She means well but you know as these women get old they are sort of not right upstairs. Everybody knows the cars come first!!! I pulled one for the team and got the boat done and out of the way.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro