Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rocketred I love that car! My first 69 was hugger orange w/black stripes and a black vinyl top. Glad to hear you are doing the conversion! If you dont already have a build I would encourage you to do so. Super good people on here in the conversion and hybrids. Good luck to you.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vacation! WTH, Now I'm on perment vacation!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Rocketred I love that car! My first 69 was hugger orange w/black stripes and a black vinyl top. Glad to hear you are doing the conversion! If you dont already have a build I would encourage you to do so. Super good people on here in the conversion and hybrids. Good luck to you.
Thanks!! I just got back from picking up my LS2/4L70E package!!! The engine/trans came out of a 08 TBSS. The motor has less than 900 miles on it and the trans/accessories about 19K! I will be starting a build thread and let the fun begin!!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
Thanks!! I just got back from picking up my LS2/4L70E package!!! The engine/trans came out of a 08 TBSS. The motor has less than 900 miles on it and the trans/accessories about 19K! I will be starting a build thread and let the fun begin!!
Sounds like you have a winning package!

I wish you the best of luck on your swap. Just remember not to get overwhelmed as it is a slow process to get everything just like you want it. I am not the fastest at these type of projects though. If I can be of any help feel free to shoot me a PM. I can point you in the right direction as I know several people on here that have done similar swaps.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Man I was trying to find info in your thread and holy crap there are a lot of posts here. I sorted the conversion & hybrids forum by replies and your thread is at the very top of the list with almost 900 posts. I need some kind of index or something!

Hope the harness works out well, but I'm curious if your problems are more related to the flash and that PP throttlebody.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Man I was trying to find info in your thread and holy crap there are a lot of posts here. I sorted the conversion & hybrids forum by replies and your thread is at the very top of the list with almost 900 posts. I need some kind of index or something!

Hope the harness works out well, but I'm curious if your problems are more related to the flash and that PP throttlebody.
Who knows whats up with my current setup. I did get some good news today, my harness is at the post office waiting on me. Guess I will be leaving from work on time tomorrow. If I get everything wired in and still have problems I will suspect the TB as you mentioned. The only issue I have with the PP TB is the TPS. I had to change it as the factory PP was crap and was reading too high on voltage at idle. Luckily it was a factory GM part so the costs were minimal and the availability was outstanding. PP said to get the voltage down to .5v at idle and 4.75 WOT and the lowest it would go was 1.14v. The new one went down to .83v better but not where it should be. Now for the ball kicker, once I got the voltage down the PCM kicked out a low voltage at TPS error???? I dont even have it down to the recommended voltage at it threw a code. I do not have an o-ring behind the TB and am relying on the paper gasket. I may go by the Chevy place tomorrow and grab an oring. Might explain some of the high idle and MAF issues. Either way I have all new stuff waiting and will start from scratch. I do like the fact the new stuff was tested before shipped on an actual live run in. Trust me if it aint all its cracked up to be you guys will be the first to know, well the second ones to know as SSP will be the first.

You can use the "search this thread" tool at the top of my thread and narrow down alot of the posts here. Yeah I noticed this last night as a matter of fact. There are quite a few people that have taken interest in my build and have offered their help and for that I am appreciative!!! Super cool guys on here some of the smartest people I know of. Some are smartasses but most are genuinely good people. Was there something in particular you were looking for?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

I was trying to find info on your clutch master. Found what I was looking for eventually. Does your car have the rare factory 4 wheel discs described here? http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...article_fs.htm
Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

I was trying to find info on your clutch master. Found what I was looking for eventually. Does your car have the rare factory 4 wheel discs described here? http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...article_fs.htm
Actually my front disc are off of a 72 Monte Carlo with the tie rod end brackets flipped left to right and vice versa to create the rear steer. This was the only way to get disc brakes up front without spending big money "back in the day". The rear end is out of a 79 T/A WS6 that came factory with discs and a posi unit. I change the gear from a 3.08 to the 3.42. I wish it was a factory JL8 rear end. The rear is a 1/2" wider on each side but the rallyes I have are offset to make up the difference. They are 4 1/2" backspacing versus the normal 4"- 15"x8".
Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

I went to the post office and grabbed my harness. Got home unboxed it and all I can say is, it is amazing. Now if it will plug in and run we'll be shittin' in high cotton!!! I did have one issue that has been remedied. The problem was, there was a break down in communication, I have the wrong ends on the O2 sensors. I originally asked for the triangular style (2003 2500 upstreams) and got the down stream connectors on my harness. The new ends and the pinout instructions are boxed up and shipped my way. Hoping to get it by the weekend but I doubt it. They are coming from Arizona and I live in NC. The harness was shipped out last Thursday and it was here on Monday so who knows. USPS tracking system sux donkey dix!!! The harness is fully covered in the aircraft mesh loom and heat shrink was used on every end joint. All new Delphi connectors, all new wire, no solder joints, heat resistant material used on the crank sensor and O2 wires. They even threw in the back up light connector so I can finally use my reverse lights. The fuse box is small and the relays are incorporated. SSP sent out a wiring diagram full of pictures and definitions to aid in installation. They have a tech line thats good for 24/7 service. I did get a A/C request wire that will aid in fan operation (Bandit) and there is a wire that they call a "performance mode" wire. I called to ask what this is and was told to wire in a 12v hot to a toggle switch and run it to this wire. It will allow for two tunes. One is mild and the other is more aggressive. That is awesome if it works. I can see it now, pull up and flip a switch to take full advantage of my setup or flip it back and conserve fuel. Thats some futuristic crazy **** for me and the old 69. I am not one that has had the luxury of owning any of the newer fast cars and to have this option is just fine by me. When you purchase the fuse block and relays it comes prewired to the harness and two hots and a ground and that part is done. Of course you still have to run your hots to the fans and fuel pump. The only other wires are tach, OBD, speedometer, a/c request, brake switch signal, performance mode, and check engine wires. Most of which I already have wired in. Soem of the wires I will not wire at this time like the brake switch (cruise control), a/c request (broke *** cant afford the VA yet), speedometer (broke *** cant afford me some futureuser gauges yet), but the performance wire will be a definate once I test fire it off. I bought some new coil wires and some NGK TR55 plugs. New MAF also. If this thing fails me again, I will only have a few choices 1) take it to a proffesional 2) try to fix it 3) sell all of my fuel injected stuff and buy me a spanking new HP Holley, victor intake, and a MSD box, oh yeah and a plate system (NOS). If it runs I will be in high gear bolting down all the little stuff and away we go to Mooresville for a dyno tune. Lets hope for the later. I will not caption each pic as there really is no sense in doing so. Nothing fancy but pics are worth a few words anyways.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the bracket I used to fasten the top of my PCM bracket to the radiator support. I will touch on this more when I can get my car to my lower garage and have some room to move around it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome man! The new harness looks great! You'll be up and running before you know it.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Gary! It does look alot better than the one thats on there now. If it works I wouldnt care if it was covered in hot pink. Supposedly it and the PCM was test run on an in house engine before it was shipped.

If anyone contacts SSP asked for Steve as he is the most knowledgable. Not saying the others arent but Steve really takes the time to discuss any concerns and answers any questions. I am trying to talk SSP into sponsoring this site as it would benefit them, bring some competition to the market and I could give out contact information without the fear of being banned.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really nice!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the harness performs as well as it looks your good to go!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 AM
Banned

i have just skimmed through this thread.
damn good write up....
but before you get to far along,double check them headers,make sure you will have plenty of ground clearance.
i installed a set of DYNATECHS on a 72 firebird,the headers stuck down below the front cross member by like 3"s.
plus the car is lowered all the way around.

i also used BRP motor mounts which i believe set motor a little lower. i cant really say if they do or not because i have not done another 72 firebird swap.
just a heads up.
good luck..
Ed
Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks BMF and Rocketred!

Mred thats a sweet ride you have there.
I still have over 4" of clearance to the ground. I am hoping that this is enough. I have seen people with the same year of car and the same headrs and they have alot less ground clearance. I dont know why that is unless the mounts are different or the headers were made different. I really wanted Kooks but at the time $1000 was too much for me to swallow. Maybe a future purchase though. We will give the Dynatechs a fair shot and see what happens. Thanks for the information though.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Were covers included for the PCM connectors to go over the zip-tied wires? What about a labelled covor for the fuse/relay block?

I have no idea what a "performance mode" wire would be connected to on the PCM. I have never heard of being able to run with dual tunes on a factoryu PCM. Is smoke being blown or is this a real thing?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mred ,love that car!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Were covers included for the PCM connectors to go over the zip-tied wires? What about a labelled covor for the fuse/relay block?

I have no idea what a "performance mode" wire would be connected to on the PCM. I have never heard of being able to run with dual tunes on a factoryu PCM. Is smoke being blown or is this a real thing?
No covers were included for either. The fuse block is prewired to the main harness so no real need for the labels.

I think the performance mode is along the lines of the tow button on the trucks. I didnt believe it neither but after reading this http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=61593 I am now a believer. Some cars came with an economy and peformance mode.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

I see you posting tonight on other peoples threads. Is this fancy harness installed yet?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by futureuser
I see you posting tonight on other peoples threads. Is this fancy harness installed yet?
Internet watchdog... bet you didn't see that coming TSnow... haha!

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro