Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GC99TA
I hear ya man. It will be really interesting to hear what your engine cranks on a compression gauge. Obviously a motor with low static compression is gonna pull equally lower vacuum than an equivelent motor (same cam/displacement/heads/intake) with more static compression.

After thinking about it, your low-ish vacuum doesn't really suprise me that much with your current cam and static compression ratio combo. My new cam (231/239-110) only pulls 8 in/hg at the same 900 RPM where my old cam (228/230-114) used to pull 12 in/hg. This is certainly due to a 14 degree increase in overlap @ .050. My current cam and your current cam have the exact same amount of overlap @ .050 (15 degrees) but you have more duration on both the intake and exhaust. So without knowing what ICL your cam is installed on, I can only suspect that yours has a later intake valve closing point (less dynamic compression) and a later exhaust valve closing (contributes to lower vacuum?).

In any event....I don't blame you for moving forward with the stroker. It's something I want for myself in the future too and you're probably smart to not throw a bunch of money at a new cam for the 6.0L if it's not what you ultimately want in the end. But until you get the stroker together......I'm sure the only thing your 6.0L won't do well is idle. I'll bet it pulls real hard on the top end and you'll have a blast driving it around. At the end of the day, that's all that really matters.....that you have fun running the car the way it was meant to be ran!!! Plus.....I'll bet your current cam profile would absolutely love the spray, given the huge exhaust lobe! But that's a whole other pot of money...........
I havent driven the car since it was tuned but I can say before it was tuned it would scream past 2000 rpm's. Even at a lower rpm it would still pull like crazy. Of course this is coming from a guy that was used to a big cammed 327sbc that wouldnt pull a wet noodle out of a cats ***. I almost want to find a cam and swap it but I think I have gone past that threshold. I will prolly hold onto the shortblock as it wont bring much money as is. It will make a great back up block in case something happens in the future or plans change or I find a suitable donor car to put it in, hhhmmmmm. Opel Gt? Vega? 280z? Yeah the spray is out of the question for now as the "pots of money" have came and went. Wifey still doesnt know about the stroker motor yet. This is going go over like a fart in church. Wish me well.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Wifey still doesnt know about the stroker motor yet. This is going go over like a fart in church. Wish me well.

In my experience's it is always easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

About 15 years ago I was talking to the wife about this Snap On tool box that the the Snap On guy was selling and that I could really use a new tool box and she asked will this help me make more money and make my job easier, I said it sure would and I can probably get more overtime which translates into more money so we can do the house remodeling that she had been hounding me to do, well she said if you really need it go ahead and get it, I said GREAT can you give me a hand unloading it, It is in the back of my truck. She was not impressed.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lizeec
Wifey still doesnt know about the stroker motor yet. This is going go over like a fart in church. Wish me well.

In my experience's it is always easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

About 15 years ago I was talking to the wife about this Snap On tool box that the the Snap On guy was selling and that I could really use a new tool box and she asked will this help me make more money and make my job easier, I said it sure would and I can probably get more overtime which translates into more money so we can do the house remodeling that she had been hounding me to do, well she said if you really need it go ahead and get it, I said GREAT can you give me a hand unloading it, It is in the back of my truck. She was not impressed.
You must be my twin!!! I called my wife and asked her if it would be alright if I bought a new lawnmower(Bobcat zero turn $6800), she said "I guess", i was like cool go ahead and open the garage door I am backing in with it now. If I didnt have such an enormous ***** she would have been gone a long time ago!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

Its all how you swing "it" at them LOL
Old 12-13-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
See, this place is so educational......that's why I hang out here. Now I know what I've been doing wrong all these years. Of course......it's kinda hard to swing something thats shaped like a soup can.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367

Lol!!!
I tried to wear a Speedo one time but never again, it looked as if I was smuggling three acorns.

GC99TA- See, this place is so educational......that's why I hang out here. Now I know what I've been doing wrong all these years. Of course......it's kinda hard to swing something thats shaped like a soup can.
Thats awesome! LMAO!!!

You guys are crazy!

Some good news....I didnt get my member cut off last night. I was forth right with the wife and she just sat there and shook her head. She was actually the loving wife I once knew. Either that or she plans on getting me back. At this point I really dont care. My car is sitting at the house once again. Alvin was kind enough not to charge me for his work since it didnt get properly tuned. I think that says alot about him and the business he is running. Every time I go to a specialty shop of whatever kind or hobby it seems as if they are grabbing for every dollar. Tick Performance and Pcmforless are a matched pair that work great together. They actually compliment one another. You go to one side and get your go fast goodies and at the same time the tuner is standing there laptop in hand ready to smooth every up and lay down some numbers. Gary I will check the cranking compression Thursday. Should I check it cold or should I run it to operating temperature first?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried the speedo bit also, we had changed into the swimsuits at the beach house and I was strutting my stuff, the wife looks into he beach bag and says honey you are missing a sock there is only one sock in the bag? I said it must of fell out I can't imagine where the other sock might be as I looked down at my speedo. And yes she is planning revenge shortly after my tool box incident every time we went to the mall she dragged me into the Kay Jewelers store and kept dropping the hint on a bracelet she liked and said she could keep it safe in one of the drawers of my new tool box, dammit we all know what happened next and yes it broke the bank.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, was that you in the LQ=HP article in Chevy High Performance this month?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsnow678
I tried to wear a Speedo one time but never again, it looked as if I was smuggling three acorns.
That's the funniest, yet most disturbing, visual image I've been given in a long time.......LOL!!! Around my house we call Speedos "Bannanna Hammocks", but it's realisticly barely a "plantain hammock" in my case.

Some good news....I didnt get my member cut off last night. I was forth right with the wife and she just sat there and shook her head. She was actually the loving wife I once knew. Either that or she plans on getting me back. At this point I really dont care. My car is sitting at the house once again. Alvin was kind enough not to charge me for his work since it didnt get properly tuned. I think that says alot about him and the business he is running. Every time I go to a specialty shop of whatever kind or hobby it seems as if they are grabbing for every dollar. Tick Performance and Pcmforless are a matched pair that work great together. They actually compliment one another. You go to one side and get your go fast goodies and at the same time the tuner is standing there laptop in hand ready to smooth every up and lay down some numbers. Gary I will check the cranking compression Thursday. Should I check it cold or should I run it to operating temperature first?
Glad to hear there's been no attempt to separate little Tony from the twins. But I'll have to agree on the probable plot for revenge....or at least that's how it would be with my wife. See, when I decide to drop some coin, I'm kinda hard to keep up with. So since she can't find any one or two things to drop a couple grand on to get me back, she'll find a way to spend it on some buuuuulllllllshit........$80 dollars at a time at the Walmart. You know....the kind stuff she'll sell for a $1.50 at next summers yard sale. Typical redneck.

But anyway.....that was very stand up of Alvin to not charge you for his services. And in return, he earned your future business.....very cool.

You should definately warm the engine up to operating temp before doing the compression test to ensure a more consitent and realistic ring seal condition. To keep even more consistent numbers from cylider to cylinder, you may even want to hook up a battery charger during your test so you maintain a consistent starter RPM while spinning the motor. Finally (and you may know this) you'll want to hold the throttle wide open so the motor isn't pulling against a vacuum in the intake. Oh, and most guys will tell you it's best to pull all 8 spark plugs before you start testing so you're also not fighting against the compression of 7 other cylinders.......and they'd be absolutely correct. But I'll have to admit that I cheated here and only pulled one plug at a time. I did this because my headers were hot as hell and I decided that (for my test purposes) the number value itself didn't matter as much as the consistency of my method.

See, I did a cranking compression test with my first cam installed. Now, since my new cam closes the intake valve 2 degrees earlier, I want to repeat the same test under the same conditions to see how much more it cranks given that the cylinders are sealed up 2 degrees sooner on the compression stroke. Then, I'm probably going to buy an adjustable timing set and advance the cam two more degrees (if I have PTV clearance) and test again (both track and compression gauge testing). Should be interesting and it's some low cost stuff I can do to keep me occupied/interested. Can't wait to hear your results.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow this thread has turned to **** real quick... total di** swinging contest now... literally
Old 12-14-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RossRinSD
Hey, was that you in the LQ=HP article in Chevy High Performance this month?
I wish! If my car or myself ever makes it to a magazine it will be nothing short of a miracle. I am not a subscriber to Chevy High Performance but I just read the entire article while standing in Walmart tonight.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by frojoe
Wow this thread has turned to **** real quick... total di** swinging contest now... literally
Lol, sorry!!! Back on topic from here on out.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good for you joe for censoring dick but not sh**. classy

in other news, ship that damn LQ my way. I need to **** the lady off a bit, and I need a(nother) reason not to sell the GTO. an LSx would certainly do.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
ship that damn LQ my way. I need to **** the lady off a bit, and I need a(nother) reason not to sell the GTO. an LSx would certainly do.
Lol! I am out of the "pissing the old lady off" business for the short term. Let me get my hands on the short block and we will go for round two. I will however sell the 6.0 short block once the new one is in the car. I say you swap an LS in the goat and use the new velocity stack intake for it.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
good for you joe for censoring dick but not sh**. classy
I didn't even notice doing this... rolling censorship? haha
Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

A little update! I am getting rid of the POS gauges I have hanging under my dash. I got a "good deal" on them and it turns out not one of them are accurate. I dont have the funds laying around for the Dakota Digital gauges so I did the next best thing. I bought a Scan Gauge II to monitor the MPH, water temperature, rpm's, and voltage. I can choose other parameters to monitor but those four are the required at this time. This leaves me with two outputs that arent monitored, fuel level (Ford sender 16-158 ohms) and oil pressure. I bought Autometer Sport Comp gauges for these and finally figured out a spot to put them. This is what transpired today......

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-22-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

A little update! I am getting rid of the POS gauges I have hanging under my dash. I got a "good deal" on them and it turns out not one of them are accurate. I dont have the funds laying around for the Dakota Digital gauges so I did the next best thing. I bought a Scan Gauge II to monitor the MPH, water temperature, rpm's, and voltage. I can choose other parameters to monitor but those four are the required at this time. This leaves me with two outputs that arent monitored, fuel level (Ford sender 16-158 ohms) and oil pressure. I bought Autometer Sport Comp gauges for these and finally figured out a spot to put them. This is what transpired today......

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
That looks great Tony! Awesome work as always!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

If I didnt have such an enormous ***** she would have been gone a long time ago!
So that's your secret.

I say you swap an LS in the goat and use the new velocity stack intake for it.
What intake are you referring to?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
What intake are you referring to?
This is the intake in question!!!! BAD ASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://blogs.hotrod.com/holleys-newe...est-12583.html

If you dont like that one you will this one!!!

http://blogs.hotrod.com/carbon-fiber...ake-16841.html

And last but not least:

http://blogs.hotrod.com/fabricated-s...cella-335.html
Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Ah yes, the Jenvy ITB. i didn't know Holley was going to be importing/rebadging those. I'm a big fan of that Ozmo dual TB setup - reminds me of the V12 exotics. Harrop also makes an ITB system using a DBW setup: http://www.harrop.com.au/projects.ph...iew&post_id=75 Of course ITB and dual TB have different performance characteristics, but either way I think the "cool" factor would be the bigger purchase driver for guys like us.

I would be insanely jealous if you toped your 408 with something like that.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro