Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobKovacs
If you want better ground clearance, get a set of mid lengths so the collector isnt under the car. Hedman has 1 3/4", and may have 1 7/8" as well.
I wouldnt mind running mid-lengths but I have to wonder if it will mess with my tune. Thanks I will look into them.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
How hard do you think you have to smack the headers on the ground before they damage the heads? I'm just waiting for mine to scrape through.
Not sure about the impact affecting the heads. I haven't driven mine since I lowered it, but I am sure they will scrape. I really don't like having to avoid the daily bumps in the road. That and I might be able to recover some of my loss if I don't damage them.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Not sure about the impact affecting the heads. I haven't driven mine since I lowered it, but I am sure they will scrape. I really don't like having to avoid the daily bumps in the road. That and I might be able to recover some of my loss if I don't damage them.
I replied to your thread on Kooks headers.......My car has a similar ride height ans I am using SW headers with no problems. Also as I mentioned in my reply, you may want to look at the rest of your undercarriage and see what would be the lowest point if the header were tucked. On mine a tucked set of headers would put the trans pan, oil pan, centerlink, front subframe crossmember and lower control arms all at the lowest point. Also if you have a front spoiler that will probably hit before anything else. Just something to think about before you buy new headers.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Rocketrod you make a good point. I looked at the oil pan, steering components and such and they are not far from where the headers hang. Worse case I damaged the headers and at that point make a decision on replacements. That and it will save me a $1000 in which I can definately use elsewhere. Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hallelujah, it took me about three weeks of lunches, but I finally got through the whole thread. I have E-mailed you a couple time already Tony and you have been very helpful. This thread has sooooo much information and I know I will be referring to it many times. I am just getting started on Futureuser's thread also. I will be starting my own thread very soon. I am also taking the oppurtunity to put an aftermarket subframe in mine at the same time so that adds a whole new list of issues. I look forward to continuing to talk with you Tony and all the others.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Aston Tibs
Hallelujah, it took me about three weeks of lunches, but I finally got through the whole thread. I have E-mailed you a couple time already Tony and you have been very helpful. This thread has sooooo much information and I know I will be referring to it many times. I am just getting started on Futureuser's thread also. I will be starting my own thread very soon. I am also taking the oppurtunity to put an aftermarket subframe in mine at the same time so that adds a whole new list of issues. I look forward to continuing to talk with you Tony and all the others.
Thanks Alan for the kind words! Anytime I can be of help, just ask. Let me know when you have the thread started, I will definately subscribe.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Just a few minor updates to share. After lowering the car I had it aligned and it drives great. After the alignment I drove it about 45 minutes to a local exhaust guru. He cut my existing pipes off of the collectors, built the center section including the H-pipe, installed some 50 series Flowmasters and installed my V-bands behind the mufflers. Now I can unbolt the collectors and undo the V-bands to remove just about the entire exhaust system. He did reuse my existing tail pipes as they were mandrel bent from Flowmaster and fit my car perfectly. I did however have to modify the tail pipe hangers a little. I was getting some interference with my tires when the suspension dropped under a launch. Here are a couple of pics of the new exhaust. It tucks up tight to the bottom of the car without any rubbing. The only portion of the exhaust visible from the side now is the headers. I originally intended on replacing the Dynatechs but Rocketrod made a good point. With a straight edge across the headers, the oil pan is only 3/4" of an inch higher. I would rather use my headers as a clearance indicator instead of my oil pan.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

For you guys with older cars in need of parts, you really need to contact Dan Howell (Futureuser)! I ordered a set of parking light assemblies from him and they are perfect! Dan is a AMD distributor and can get you a hell of a deal on parts. AMD makes some of the best replacement sheetmetal components around. I only wish I had known Dan before I had my car painted. My local restoration shop now uses AMD sheetmetal as it is thicker and closer to OEM in fit and finish. Here are a few pics of the lights I installed tonight.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by tsnow678; 03-04-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tone,

Amen on the collectors being the "ground proximity warning device"... I too was going to swapout the DynaTechs for something that didn't hang too low, but Rod's post did it for me too...

Now let's hear what that baby sounds like! Post up!

TC
Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on getting that all worked out Tony! That exhaust looks great! I agree, let's hear what is sounds like, lol... btw, I finally started a thread, check it out sometime... P.S. Your car is looking GREAT!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Can't wait to hear it.

ahem Video video
Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tango68ss
Tone,

Amen on the collectors being the "ground proximity warning device"... I too was going to swapout the DynaTechs for something that didn't hang too low, but Rod's post did it for me too...

Now let's hear what that baby sounds like! Post up!

TC
As soon as the weather breaks I will get a video posted up.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

GPWS? What is that? Nice lights!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Looks awesome!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Tony,
Your car is beautiful and worth the investment. While the AMD stuff isn't perfect, it is better than other stuff available. I hope I can get mine looking that good one day.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Fellas!

Dan it takes time to get them looking like you want. Mine is a 10 footer for sure. It was painted 5 years ago after pretty much a total restoration. The seam sealer the painter used has a tendency to crack and he didn't lay enough clear for a future wet sand and buff. I am figuring in 5 more years I will have it repainted. How is the new Camaro coming along?

Now to get my *** out to the garage for a video before you guys lynch my tail!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Not sure if this video will suffice but here goes:

Old 03-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds good man. While we are in the video spirit. I wouldnt be opposed to a in action vid Perhaps a little rip action too!
Old 03-10-2013, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Pure "YUM"!! Sounds awesome!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

nice! great build and nice exhaust

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro