Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frojoe
Us engineers aren't thaaaat bad, are we? At least some of us are mechanically useful and have common sense haha.
Read #1673
I like most of you guys/gals and have a respect for your work beyond belief, but not all engineers are the same. Same goes for all positions held in all walks of life.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Steve68
two words for you sir, "MINI TUB"
I know you just got new wheels, but it time, sorry,
That is a battle I have had to overcome for now. Given the fact I am so far upside down in this car, I cannot justify dumping that kind of money into her at the moment. If it were as simple as buying mini-tubs and installing them, well I might be cool with that. But you know there is a ton of other items that would need to be purchased/installed to make that happen. I think I am gonna drive her for another year and at that point I may give it some consideration. Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
That is a battle I have had to overcome for now. Given the fact I am so far upside down in this car, I cannot justify dumping that kind of money into her at the moment. If it were as simple as buying mini-tubs and installing them, well I might be cool with that. But you know there is a ton of other items that would need to be purchased/installed to make that happen. I think I am gonna drive her for another year and at that point I may give it some consideration. Thanks
I know just bustn your chops!!

Drivin it's just fine with me!!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Us engineers aren't thaaaat bad, are we? At least some of us are mechanically useful and have common sense haha.
I just love trading barbs with the guys who have to deal with my designs/decisions, all of whom I have the utmost respect for (though some of whom I can barely stand). Besides, most of what I've gotten done on my car has been the direct result of working in a machine shop and having those guys there to show me how to work the equipment and/or do some work for me.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
I just love trading barbs with the guys who have to deal with my designs/decisions, all of whom I have the utmost respect for (though some of whom I can barely stand). Besides, most of what I've gotten done on my car has been the direct result of working in a machine shop and having those guys there to show me how to work the equipment and/or do some work for me.
Seems things are about the same on both sides of the fence. At the end of the day I feel like I did what I could to make a difference. I am sure you are a fine example of an Engineer and not one that most people(production) hate to see coming their way.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Steve68
I know just bustn your chops!!
Drivin it's just fine with me!!
No worries, I agree 100% with ya on the minis. Ideally my car would look almost identical to the Detroit Speed (Staceys) 69 Camaro. Love the stance, wheels, etc.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

The new stance and wheels look great! You have good taste. Your son's mustang looks good too. Nice gift for sure.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Dan! Glad to have you back. Any new news on your end?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know, and a lot of times, engineers have to do things they dont want in the name of marketing, packaging, cost, and in my powertrain world the additional fun of gov regulations Its more fun to do my own ride
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats new buddy?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by REDL1NE
Whats new buddy?
Sort of in a waiting period right now. Picking up some custom length hard brake lines tomorrow. I originally had some made out of stainless but they are not sealing too good at the junction block on the rear. I think I still have air in the brake lines causing my pedal to be softer than desired. I replaced all of the rubber lines with teflon lined braided stainless lines. I left the hydraulic system open for too long waiting on the hard lines to be made which in turn drained the reservoir. I have gravity bled it, and pressure bled it with no success. I feel the problem is in the hard lines. After that issue is resolved it's on to exhaust work. Seriously considering buying a set of Kooks headers. Hate to drop a $1000 in a set to gain ground clearance! At least they are tuned and could possibly be somewhat of a performance gain, that and they are pretty! If I decide to make the purchase I will send them to a local Nascar team to have them polished inside and out. Once the exhaust is buttoned up its off to the alignment shop. I have hit a lazy streak! Must be the cold weather or age!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

I installed my front calipers upside down once, and couldn't get them to bleed out. Was a pretty dumb *** move on my part.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have hit a lazy streak! Must be the cold weather or age!
I know the feeling man. I was home all weekend and just couldn't motivate myself to do anything more than refill the gear lube in the rear. Pretty sad.

Originally Posted by futureuser
I installed my front calipers upside down once, and couldn't get them to bleed out. Was a pretty dumb *** move on my part.
Man, I'm sure glad to hear that. I did the same thing on my TA about 5-6 years ago. I pulled all the calipers off to paint them and somehow got them back on the wrong sides. Couldn't get a peddle for **** with the vacuum bleeder so I had a buddy come over to help my do it the "old fashion way". He took one look and said, "So how are you gonna get any air to come out the bottom? Shouldn't those bleeders be on top?" Man did I feel like a jackass!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks fellas but bleeders are up. I had to literally overtighten the lines and then a quarter turn to keep the fluid from visibly coming out at the junction under pressure. Not too sure if there is an air leak so they are coming off.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Seriously considering buying a set of Kooks headers. Hate to drop a $1000 in a set to gain ground clearance!
Do you know how far below the subframe your current headers hang down? I measured ground to subframe then ground to headers and I get about 1-1/8" if I use those 3" vbands.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Do you know how far below the subframe your current headers hang down? I measured ground to subframe then ground to headers and I get about 1-1/8" if I use those 3" vbands.
Not sure about the subframe but I know I only have three inches between the ground and the headers. I will measure the other this evening. As far as dragging, the headers are not as much of a problem as the mufflers. I would really like to buy the headers and then modify the exhaust all at once and be done with it.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Sort of in a waiting period right now. Picking up some custom length hard brake lines tomorrow. I originally had some made out of stainless but they are not sealing too good at the junction block on the rear. I think I still have air in the brake lines causing my pedal to be softer than desired. I replaced all of the rubber lines with teflon lined braided stainless lines. I left the hydraulic system open for too long waiting on the hard lines to be made which in turn drained the reservoir. I have gravity bled it, and pressure bled it with no success. I feel the problem is in the hard lines. After that issue is resolved it's on to exhaust work. Seriously considering buying a set of Kooks headers. Hate to drop a $1000 in a set to gain ground clearance! At least they are tuned and could possibly be somewhat of a performance gain, that and they are pretty! If I decide to make the purchase I will send them to a local Nascar team to have them polished inside and out. Once the exhaust is buttoned up its off to the alignment shop. I have hit a lazy streak! Must be the cold weather or age!
Thats crazy! Custom brakes lines for the win! Kooks are pretty dang nice. It is an investment, but man...soo nice

Haha I have hit that same streak. I am a small child when it comes to cold weather. Cold weather is my worst enemy when it comes to project finishing.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

I am in need of some advice. What headers would be the best fit for my application? The Dynatechs are coming off. I would like a header that will give me better ground clearance. Prefer 1-7/8" primaries. Either stainless or ceramic coated steel. If you have a set of Kooks, how do they fit and do you have any pics?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

If you want better ground clearance, get a set of mid lengths so the collector isnt under the car. Hedman has 1 3/4", and may have 1 7/8" as well.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

How hard do you think you have to smack the headers on the ground before they damage the heads? I'm just waiting for mine to scrape through.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro