Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts that can be swapped onto Vortec 4800 LR4

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parts that can be swapped onto Vortec 4800 LR4

I have a pretty much stock 08' GMC Sierra with the Vortec 4800 LR4 engine. I understand there are many that would swap the engine but mine has very low milage. I am looking for any parts that may swap from any of the other LS series engines. Any aftermarket electronics that may add a few more hp. I currently have a evolution programmer and K&N intake and filter along with flowmaster super 40 dumped behind cab. Just want to know if any other intake manifold would swap and so forth. Thanks
Old 04-23-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the casting number on the heads? The heads should have rectangle intake ports, which means that the LS3 car intake manifold will swap, but the truck intake makes more tq at lower rpm, but if you're looking to make the engine rev more then the LS3 intake will help out. A cam swap would definitely gain you some power, along with a set of headers, they will help the engine breathe a little better, and instead of that programmer, I would have the engine dynotuned.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, it's no longer the LR4. Second, it should be cathedral port. The rectangle port heads won't fit those small bores.
Third, it should have the same basic intake manifold as the TBSS, which is a good piece.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused with my previous post, but I thought GM put the rectangle port heads on all of the newer engines. I knew the L92 heads wouldnt fit due to the bore size but I never suspected that GM was still using cathedral port heads. Well if the heads are cathedral ports then a LS6 intake manifold would be a good choice.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:11 AM
On The Tree

Long tube headers and a good dyno tune...
Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the LY6 6.0L is rectangle, but if there's a rectangle port head for 5.3 / 4.8, it would be news to me.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Default other power options

I am toying with the idea of putting an sts turbo system on the truck since its lifted and has larger tires in order to help get up and go. My first question is would the factory injectors be up to the challenge. I am aware that the factory injectors are able to handle some boost but would this be advisable? Max 5psi. Also from sts they have the additional option of buying the injectors and diablo tuner for 1500 which to me is way over priced. Any thought? Thanks again
Old 04-26-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel that Squires had the right idea, but their kits are way overpriced. You could piece together your own equivalent for half what their kit costs. I used to have my shop a quarter mile from their first shop in Orem, UT.
Their basic LS1 turbo was a 60-1, but for a 4.8L, you might do better with a T-fiftysomething. I'd have to do some searching to find what A/R turbine they used on that 60-1, but I have it somewhere. You'd want the next one down to help your smaller cubes get it spooled.
You probably would need to change injectors, and you would definitely need a custom dyno-tune.
The thing about just ordering everything from Squires is there's NO guesswork. You KNOW it's all gonna work together the first try.
Also, you may want a different torque converter so you never have to wait for the boost to arrive. You can't have full boost down at 1500 rpm, where most stock converters flash to. A 3000 stall would be more impressive. And it should have an anti-ballooning plate. Extra cost, but worth it.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you do go with a turbo I would change investors and have a dyno time I would not spend 1500 on those investors and hand held you could prob find good deal on injection here and then just take it to get tuned
Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Yeah I agree about the kit taking all the guess work out of it. Also another question that I do have is I see that most people change their torque converter out to a 3000 when adding additional power adders such as forced induction or nitrous but would changing the converter out before the turbo is installed do me any good. The reason I ask is because I am currently in Afghanistan and will be home on leave in June and would like to have some of the parts installed but don't want to install something such as the converter now and not do the sts or equivalent system till Nov and and the new converter hurt me. Also I looking into a set of headers any recommendations. I am studying up on these parts before I ask but its always nice to get others input. Thanks again
Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the torque converter is fun all by itself. You'll get a better jump away from a dead stop, if you don't have traction problems ( also fun unless the cops nail ya )

Quick Reply: Parts that can be swapped onto Vortec 4800 LR4