Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not your usual LS1/T56 Bmw

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

I'm done. Do what you want and good luck with your build.

Andrew
Old 06-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My .02 as I am about to purchase a t101a to replace my Muncie on my 5.3 I have been a lisc. Road racer for 12+years and built several championship winning cars.

Please don't think I am bashing you.

92mph 1st gear?
Please rethink this.
92mph 1st with a low MOI 3 disc clutch???
That clutch setup will give you absolutely ZERO stored energy to get it moving.
Have you driven a light low MOI clutch?
THEY SUCK. I took it out of my car. We are running for a $4 trophy that outside of the gate no body gives a crap about.
That clutch is great for power once moving, but you will stall it everywhere even with good gearing.

That clutch with good gearing...
You have 2 choices, stall or spin the tires.

That clutch with your gearing...
You will have 2 choices.
Stall or smoke the clutch. Those clutches can NOT take any slip.

Again. Good luck getting that to move.

I hope you never plan on running with an org. that does standing starts. If you do, start on pit road and have the tow truck push you.

My car is the other extreme, I enjoy running around in 3rd in the corners 4th on straight. 2nd in the low speeds corners. That’s what’s nice about a flat tq curve and a v8.

You are running a 4 speed, not a 6speed sequential, not a 2 stroke dirt bike, not a super linear power curved hi strung engine...
You won't need to sound like a sport bike with super close gearing....

Put the dark beer away and turn the F1 off...
Grab yourself a 6 pack of Busch and watch some NASCAR on the road courses...
You will get what I am saying.

FWIW I enjoy dark beer and F1.
Cheers!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Teching In

god bless you dude,Ive done some swaps in my day but it looks like a nightmare to me ,lol good luck love to see it finished
Old 06-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

i found a video clip of how your car would be taking off.
Only this thing may have a heavy flywheel so yours would be worse.

http://youtu.be/_xdztPUYljw
Old 06-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joelamite
My .02 as I am about to purchase a t101a to replace my Muncie on my 5.3 I have been a lisc. Road racer for 12+years and built several championship winning cars.

Please don't think I am bashing you.

92mph 1st gear?
Please rethink this.
92mph 1st with a low MOI 3 disc clutch???
That clutch setup will give you absolutely ZERO stored energy to get it moving.
Have you driven a light low MOI clutch?
THEY SUCK. I took it out of my car. We are running for a $4 trophy that outside of the gate no body gives a crap about.
That clutch is great for power once moving, but you will stall it everywhere even with good gearing.

That clutch with good gearing...
You have 2 choices, stall or spin the tires.

That clutch with your gearing...
You will have 2 choices.
Stall or smoke the clutch. Those clutches can NOT take any slip.

Again. Good luck getting that to move.

I hope you never plan on running with an org. that does standing starts. If you do, start on pit road and have the tow truck push you.

My car is the other extreme, I enjoy running around in 3rd in the corners 4th on straight. 2nd in the low speeds corners. That’s what’s nice about a flat tq curve and a v8.

You are running a 4 speed, not a 6speed sequential, not a 2 stroke dirt bike, not a super linear power curved hi strung engine...
You won't need to sound like a sport bike with super close gearing....

Put the dark beer away and turn the F1 off...
Grab yourself a 6 pack of Busch and watch some NASCAR on the road courses...
You will get what I am saying.

FWIW I enjoy dark beer and F1.
Cheers!
No offense taken, kind of answer I was looking to get. I knew for sure a short first gear is going to be waste on the track (racing, no standing start) but I guess it's a necessity still. In that case I guess my best bet is to get a first gear that will only serve cruising in paddock and start (means don't have to be close ratio with the rest... might as well make it easier if it's only going to do that) and then have the 3 last "racing" gears spread out perfectly.

It's hard to jugde what is to close and what is to far appart, I know the gap between 4th-5th on a T56 is a killer so I'm aiming to get greater than that, but at what point it's to much is hard to judge.

By the way just out of curiosity.. what have been your "slowlest" corner speed you saw so far? I know if has many variables but just to see if I'm on the right track.

Oh and... I barely watch either F1 or NASCAR I just have plenty of weird ideas that needs to be taken back to reality sometimes! (Also no offense Project gattago, I'm just hard headed and won't change my mind until I hear the little thing that ruins it).
Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

plan on a 40ish for slow speeds.
1st gear is just what you said get the car moving and paddock.
I will still warn you that clutch is going to suck in the paddock.
I took out a perfectly good and just put 3 new discs in it, clutch set to replace it with a full size as on track PERFECT. Pulling it in and out of the garage at home, into the trailer.. forget it by a quad and an electric wench. As for round the paddock you either look like a looser that can't drive a stick, or an ******* that likes to do burnouts and rev his engine everywhere.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joelamite
plan on a 40ish for slow speeds.
1st gear is just what you said get the car moving and paddock.
I will still warn you that clutch is going to suck in the paddock.
I took out a perfectly good and just put 3 new discs in it, clutch set to replace it with a full size as on track PERFECT. Pulling it in and out of the garage at home, into the trailer.. forget it by a quad and an electric wench. As for round the paddock you either look like a looser that can't drive a stick, or an ******* that likes to do burnouts and rev his engine everywhere.
Well last time I was hanging in the paddock everyone looked like sucker who cannot drive stick!

Lowest I can get thru G-force ratios seems to be a 53-57mph first gear, good step up from 90 but, aint that still seem on the high side as a "cruising" gear
Old 06-12-2011, 11:35 PM

wow!!! looks awesome!

i want to swap a 5.3 into my car also. my main concern is getting the electronics to work out.

from what i understand, i need:
engine, transmission, fuel pump, wire harness from a GM, exhaust manifold, custom exhaust.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mujjuman
wow!!! looks awesome!

i want to swap a 5.3 into my car also. my main concern is getting the electronics to work out.

from what i understand, i need:
engine, transmission, fuel pump, wire harness from a GM, exhaust manifold, custom exhaust.
I guess so, in E46 they have CAN-BUS communication which is suppose to be a pain to work with. Mainly for dash but since I'm building a track car I'm just going to use an ACL dash and save myself all the trouble.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Seems like a killer project ...........now is the LS motor lighter than the BMW's
Old 06-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Launching!

They are actually within a few pounds of each other with the BMW engine being lighter. 2 less cylinders helps, but the big, DOHC head negates that.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Pretty close I'd guess... price and potential is a big winner on the V8 tho, and with the dogbox transmission it will be lighter than the 6 speed (not sure bout the 5 speed tho), so it should be a killer combo in the end!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

the bmw motor & trans package is actually a fair amount lighter - a lot of it is in the transmission difference but the bmw motors aren't heavy lugs themselves.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tongboy
the bmw motor & trans package is actually a fair amount lighter - a lot of it is in the transmission difference but the bmw motors aren't heavy lugs themselves.
Yes but the T56 is almost 150lbs and the 4 speed is under 100lbs
Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Ready for the long week-end, gotta get the grinder out and do the boring job!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Working on the underbody right now. Not fun at all!!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Just curious, but did you get this car cheap? Just seems like a really complete nice sedan to strip out and make a race car out of.. plus its a 4door. I would think you'd want the smallest lightest thing you could find. Could be a specific class you'd wanna run maybe. I do not know! Looks like fun and good luck!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sixtoes1313
Just curious, but did you get this car cheap? Just seems like a really complete nice sedan to strip out and make a race car out of.. plus its a 4door. I would think you'd want the smallest lightest thing you could find. Could be a specific class you'd wanna run maybe. I do not know! Looks like fun and good luck!
Well for the condition I consider it cheap picked up the car for 4500$, with all I can sell in it going to drop the price a little to. In the BMW's that probably one of the cheapest model tho, smallest motor, most electrical but not all (manual seat), automatic.

I used a 4 door because they are cheaper and easier to find over here and once stripped down to race trim 2doors and 4 doors weight are within a few pounds of each other.

I chose the E46 because from what I have read the chassis is better than the E36 on the track and even more when using the E46 M3 suspension geometry (wider track). Also because from my research it was the best chassis to run with that could accept an LS1 and that had alot of suspension/chassis development information available.

Could of used an E36 to but up in the north the clean ones (no rust) are priced higher than E46 that didn't have time to rust yet!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some footage of our ASA Chassis type stock car with Carb LS1 (about 480 fwhp) winning overall at Daytona Classic May 2011.

This car uses a 7.25 triple disc clutch and Jerico 4 speed geared to use first gear in the slow corners on track. We use first tin all the infield corners and onto the banking. When we started using first gear instead of second we picked up 2 seconds per lap.

No trouble with the 7.25 clutches, but the 5.5 clutches will last no time.

Our Jerico is geared something like:

We use a 3.08 rear gear and hit about 180 in the trioval before braking for turn one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEdPpbNan5o
Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Would love to have a BMW w/ LS1 - t56. Best of all worlds..

Quick Reply: Not your usual LS1/T56 Bmw