Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator & A/C clearance on the '65 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004 | 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Default Alternator & A/C clearance on the '65 Chevelle

Well, got the oil pan, motor mounts and trans crossmember worked out. Now on to the drive accessories. I have a Camaro LS-1 that has the alternator driver's side low and the A/C compressor passenger side low. It seems I got the A/C to clear but the alternator and the power steering box want to occupy the same space. Any one out there have recommendations as to what they did? Looks like the Corvette stuff would be easiest but I cringe at the cost. S&P and March Performance would gladly take my $1K also...
Old 02-26-2004 | 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

yo skonk. i think imma run a truck manifold and truck accys on my malibu im hoping that fixes everything...

Jeremy
Old 02-27-2004 | 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

That idea just skeeves me. I haven't priced out the Corvette components yet but S&P and March are too expensive. I've found that Zoops makes a bracket kit that mounts a Sanden 508 compressor and 10SI alternator up high for like a couple hundred bucks. I'll be making some calls today.

I could have sworn seeing a couple Chevelles (not the GM sponsored ones) at the Goodguys Columbus car show last year with power steering and the stock Camaro accessories. In hindsight they were probably automatics. With this 6 speed being so long I am limited. If I move it back any further I won't need a driveshaft.
Old 02-28-2004 | 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

carcreationsinc.com sells a LS1 corvette factory acessories set-up for $800,alt,p.steering and idler pulleys. This is brand new GM.
Old 02-29-2004 | 01:13 AM
On The Tree

I think the GM sponsored Chevelle is using a later-model quick-ratio steering box which is significantly smaller than the original one and their clearance was still pretty tight. You might want to look into that, as it would probably be your cheapest option, and at worst it wouldn't hurt to upgrade your vehicles steering responsiveness.

BTW: Do you have any links for that high-mount alternator bracket?
Old 02-29-2004 | 10:30 PM

I sell an A/C bracket that mounts up high on the passsenger side for $350 + shipping. It requires the use of an LT1 type compressor.
Old 03-01-2004 | 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Well, Zoops quickly squandered my idea of a solution. They claim their high mount A/C and Alternator bracket setup is for street rods only. The rep wouldn't even give me dimensions so that I could verify. The power steering box that the GM sponsored Chevelle used was a smaller unit from an S-10 but they still mounted the alternator with the Corvette bracket up high. I don't think they will both fit down there, even with the smaller box.

Will have to do some soul searching. I'll check out what carcreationsinc.com has but that sounds awfully cheap and what about balancer and the rest of the bits....

Stay tuned...
Old 03-01-2004 | 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

And forget about carcreationsinc.com. It's part of some sort of package that they sell and will not separate. They wouldn't even discuss it with me...
Old 03-01-2004 | 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Try emailing carcreationsinc.com they have a complete package which I believe is brand new GM. That is probably a wholesale price. Paul is real busy after an article about his 57 wagon in Super Chevy-that's probably why you didn't get to talk to him.
Old 03-02-2004 | 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, I dropped Paul at carcreationsinc.com an e-mail. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the feedback and direction.
Old 03-02-2004 | 11:24 AM
Teching In

I used the Corvette bracket to move the alt up on the driver side. Since the crank pulleys are in different locations on the F-bodys vs the Vette I made a 3/4" spacer to put between the block and bracket. I also had to rework the bracket slightly to use the F-body p/s pump. I made a couple "adapters" to get the stock F-body alt to fit also. The bracket wasn't that expensive, I have the receipt somewhere. I also moved the a/c pump high on the pass side. I used an aftermarket bracket that was pricey ($300?) and was designed for the Sanden compressor and uses one serpentine belt for everything instead of two like the stock setup. If I had it to do again, I would try to use the stock compressor and move it up, don't know anyone who makes a bracket for this. Someone can make some money if they can come up with one.
Nick

Originally Posted by skonka
Ok, I dropped Paul at carcreationsinc.com an e-mail. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the feedback and direction.
Old 03-02-2004 | 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Default Alternator relocation

I'm having the same problem with my 1971 Land Rover\Defender 90\LS1 hybrid project. I'm in the process of fabbing a relocation bracket that should tuck the alternator just in front of and above the RH head. When I'm successful then I'll have a few custom made at a local metal works. It shouldn't take too long. In the meantime, look at www.turbotechnologyinc.com under the F-body street kit installation instructions. You'll see the basic idea they've used. Mine will be better though. E-mails have gone unanswered so I guess they're not interested in selling seperate pieces. They must be making plenty of money with full kits...
Old 03-02-2004 | 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

I've been thinking about getting the Corvette Alt bracket and seeing what I could do. It's only $40, my price at the local dealer. NickD, the info in your post is what I was looking for...hope. I can fabricate plenty so I'll give that a try. It'll be a couple weeks but I'll be back...
Old 03-02-2004 | 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

ezzzzzzzz- I had the same experience with them (and QTP, who has a similar piece) regarding their bracket. Oh well. I want to put my alternator on the drivers side head, so I'm just going to fab up a piece that looks like the QTP one. There's a post in the Forced Induction forum about moving the alternator up (it was probably a couple of weeks ago) and there's a couple of nice pictures that you could start from.
-Matt
Old 03-02-2004 | 02:34 PM
Conversion master

Scooter, give me a day or two and O will have some drawings for my alternator bracket if you are still interested. I have to take it off and take some measurements.
Old 03-02-2004 | 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Just got an E-mail from Turbo Technology. They will sell the relocation bracket kit for $275! Hey, it includes the belt though... I guess I'll stick with my own fabrication.
Old 03-02-2004 | 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jeff- that'd be cool. Thanks. I think that when I'm all done with this, I'll have to post CAD drawings of all of our fabricated parts for others to use (if it's ok with you... of course you'd get all due credit.)
Old 03-03-2004 | 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Here is the basic layout I've chosen for my alternator relocation. The brackets has been drawn out and I need to get out the plasma torch for the protoype mock-up. What do you think of the tensioner location? It is tucked in and replaces the idler pulley.
Attached Thumbnails Alternator & A/C clearance on the '65 Chevelle-alternator-relocation-ls1.jpg  
Old 09-13-2004 | 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default Modified Corvette Alt Bracket (Thread from Nick D)

Originally Posted by NickD
I used the Corvette bracket to move the alt up on the driver side. Since the crank pulleys are in different locations on the F-bodys vs the Vette I made a 3/4" spacer to put between the block and bracket. I also had to rework the bracket slightly to use the F-body p/s pump. I made a couple "adapters" to get the stock F-body alt to fit also. The bracket wasn't that expensive, I have the receipt somewhere. I also moved the a/c pump high on the pass side. I used an aftermarket bracket that was pricey ($300?) and was designed for the Sanden compressor and uses one serpentine belt for everything instead of two like the stock setup. If I had it to do again, I would try to use the stock compressor and move it up, don't know anyone who makes a bracket for this. Someone can make some money if they can come up with one.
Nick
I found this thread in the archives and was wondering if you have any pictures on your installation. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Alternator & A/C clearance on the '65 Chevelle