Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 FOX notch LSX + turbo swap pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well,...against all my buddies who just wanted me to make mounts at work,..I guess I lost patience.....and today, I ordered an AJE K member. Gonna use factory a arms at this stage of the build as well as factory springs.

Removed ALMOST everything from the car. E core, removed, sound system mostly removed. Dash went out, and is now loosely back in place just incase we need to remove it again or move it. V bands should be welded onto the truck manifolds this week, tore down old 5.3 motor, see cam wear but, we may use this motor(rebuilt), we may not. We'll know that soon.

rear seat area..

glove compartment...minus core...

Yes, the turbo emblem came on the dashboard. You know your jealous

Lovely times.

box O goods.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure that K-member has factory upper spring perches...lots of them are designed around coil-overs...

Mustang dude replied today, gave me his cell#, hopefully we'll link up tomorrow and you can throw some more parts on the ferd.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Make sure that K-member has factory upper spring perches...lots of them are designed around coil-overs...

Mustang dude replied today, gave me his cell#, hopefully we'll link up tomorrow and you can throw some more parts on the ferd.

Yup, ordered it with them.

Happy to hear dude finally replied,...almost forgot about him till I looked at the car today. Now I need torque boxes so I can install all that jazz, once. Gonna mount air to air this week maybe. Then subframes.....then cage...fuel...trans,..shifter..diff, wheels, tires.

Need more used ****.

FYI,,...hitting up the extreme indoor karting again tomorrow night, if your down.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Spoke to the stang dude today...he is threatening to call me when he gets off work at 3:30 to bring me parts...we'll see what happens
Old 09-20-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

...its 3:19
Old 09-20-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

You da man.

Shocks, springs, and lower control arms in the back of el truck...will probably be installed all this weekend depending on how work goes.

Thanks Mike.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

K, I installed the lowers, and strange adjustable shocks.

Buddy that sold the setup to us, through in a set of springs. The springs are narrow, not having a whole lot of girth. To me, they look like front coil over springs or something maybe. Anyone have any insight on which springs they COULD be? I went to install in rear cause I was told they were rear drag springs but, they seemed identical in RATE to eachother so neither seemed like a right side,...also the upper spring perch was too large for the spring to sit there, and lock in place. So, I left them out, hoping I can use them again somewhere else....like on a set of struts and coilovers.

Springs in the box...

How it sits now...new shocks in rear.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, those springs won't work. Those go on on coil overs. A good set of factory 4 cyl rear springs will work good for you.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh and if you want to drop a few more lbs, find yourself a 87-89 steering column and wheel. No airbag and it'l have tilt.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RATBOX
Ya, those springs won't work. Those go on on coil overs. A good set of factory 4 cyl rear springs will work good for you.
Sweet. Question is, what coilovers, front, back? I dunno, gonna try and reach the original dude. Car was a 4cyl to begin with so it will work out nicely then, thanks. Was hoping to get the car low.... not sure how low the 4 cyl will allow. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh and if you want to drop a few more lbs, find yourself a 87-89 steering column and wheel. No airbag and it'l have tilt.

very cool, think my 88 had tilt now that you mention it,..many moons ago. Didnt think about that, and weight though so thanks man,..i'm gonna look into that.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that a stock fox K-member would not work because of the LS would sit too high, and drive line angles would be off.

It is common practice when dropping a Big block 460 to a fox mustang to lower the K-member an inch or two(aluminum spacers between the K-member and frame rail). I wonder if this would help make an LS fit without the need of a aftermarket k-member?

As a point of reference, I have a QA-1 k-member lowered one inch in my car, a 351 with an Victor Jr. intake, CSU carb, and EV carb hat. It only sticks up 1 1/2" above a stock hood.

http://fordifiedracing.homestead.com/KitInfo.html

Jess
Old 09-21-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Sweet. Question is, what coilovers, front, back? I dunno, gonna try and reach the original dude.
If I had to guess they're fronts, but it really just depends on the rate as to where they're meant to be.

I personally wouldn't drop the car, it's not going to benefit it's hooking ability. But you could either cut a half a coil off the rears, or go with coil overs in the rear. Again, if it were me, I'd leave it as is. Those factory 4 cyl springs, a good shock and those control arms and it should easily 1.4x on DR's.

very cool, think my 88 had tilt now that you mention it,..many moons ago. Didnt think about that, and weight though so thanks man,..i'm gonna look into that.
Ya, it's only a 2-3 lb difference, but every little bit helps. Plus tilt is nice and it looks 100x less ugly without the airbag.
If you really want to work hard, and if you haven't already, you can get out a heat gun and start peeling up the sound deadening on the floor. I think in all it's worth 30+ lbs.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mustang-Junky
Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that a stock fox K-member would not work because of the LS would sit too high, and drive line angles would be off.

It is common practice when dropping a Big block 460 to a fox mustang to lower the K-member an inch or two(aluminum spacers between the K-member and frame rail). I wonder if this would help make an LS fit without the need of a aftermarket k-member?

As a point of reference, I have a QA-1 k-member lowered one inch in my car, a 351 with an Victor Jr. intake, CSU carb, and EV carb hat. It only sticks up 1 1/2" above a stock hood.

http://fordifiedracing.homestead.com/KitInfo.html

Jess
Thanks for the info Jess. I gotta be honest, I have always been nervous about doing something like that to a car,..unless it's like a 16th or something. I know 100's of people do it on various platforms,..I would just be afraid of that myself. I think you probably will give a lot of people the idea of making something work though(with a stock k member), with the link you provided. Thanks for the info.

If I had to guess they're fronts, but it really just depends on the rate as to where they're meant to be.

I personally wouldn't drop the car, it's not going to benefit it's hooking ability. But you could either cut a half a coil off the rears, or go with coil overs in the rear. Again, if it were me, I'd leave it as is. Those factory 4 cyl springs, a good shock and those control arms and it should easily 1.4x on DR's.

Ya, it's only a 2-3 lb difference, but every little bit helps. Plus tilt is nice and it looks 100x less ugly without the airbag.
If you really want to work hard, and if you haven't already, you can get out a heat gun and start peeling up the sound deadening on the floor. I think in all it's worth 30+ lbs.

Cool deal man, also appreciate the insight. I guess I will see how the car looks once it gets full weight. Go from there after that. I dunno what kind of weight I can get the car to but, I would like to get it as light as humanly possible. Heat gun eh?,....I have been looking at that **** on the floor board now for the past week,..wondering if I wanna do that or not. That MIGHT be a project that you that you start,...you will have to finish lol. Maybe I will do it..might give me something to do.

Did some work today...posting as the pics load.

Thanks again.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

...first layer of I don't give a **** black.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Nice...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

AJE is suspect for tomorrow morning delivery....meaning by saturday, possibly tomorrow, the cradle will be bolted up. I need to get the 5.3 together, as it needs a thing or two. Maybe this week coming up, it will be ready to install. Thinking about putting together a 6.0 that I have as well. We'll see. I need to make some plates and go inside underneath the dash/firewall area and fill in the large openings for the AC system. Can't have those big *** holes in the wall like that so...gonna have to make something for that.

We'll see.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

CHECK THIS **** OUT!!!

Dry ice baby

http://forums.corral.net/forums/body...fo-thread.html

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=dry+ice+sound
Old 09-22-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats pretty cool, learn something new everyday.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1PUNK
Thats pretty cool, learn something new everyday.
You ain't kiddin bro.

Got the K member, installed that **** by myself. Kind of a pain in the *** when your reuseing your factory control arms and struts. The k member itself was easy, although I did have to use a prybar to get the hole lined up on the passenger side front of my AJE K member. Kinda sucked one handed but it wasn't to bad. I then installed the control arms after the k member was up. Getting the factory springs back into the control arm and spring perch,..required 3 people, one to control the lift, hold the strut and guide it up,,,then one person holding the spring and control arm with a pry bar and guiding the control arm on a jack... anyhow, we didn't have a spring compressor laying around so it was what we could do. Everything is all done and on now but,...my INTERMEDIATE shaft is NOW short,...and will not reach the gear or upper shaft if in proper location. So I guess I need to lengthen it or replace with another?

Anyone had this issue?

pics soon.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You ain't kiddin bro.

Got the K member, installed that **** by myself. Kind of a pain in the *** when your reuseing your factory control arms and struts. The k member itself was easy, although I did have to use a prybar to get the hole lined up on the passenger side front of my AJE K member. Kinda sucked one handed but it wasn't to bad. I then installed the control arms after the k member was up. Getting the factory springs back into the control arm and spring perch,..required 3 people, one to control the lift, hold the strut and guide it up,,,then one person holding the spring and control arm with a pry bar and guiding the control arm on a jack... anyhow, we didn't have a spring compressor laying around so it was what we could do. Everything is all done and on now but,...my INTERMEDIATE shaft is NOW short,...and will not reach the gear or upper shaft if in proper location. So I guess I need to lengthen it or replace with another?

Anyone had this issue?

pics soon.

I'm guessing you're referring to the steering shaft. If so, I had the same problem. My car, a few years newer, had a telescoping type shaft arrangement that just needed an attitude adjustment with a big hammer to make it work. By looking at your pics its obvious that yours is different but it sounds like the problem is the same. At one point I was told the AJE k-member drops the rack an inch or so, that would explain it huh?

Quick Reply: 1993 FOX notch LSX + turbo swap pics