Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 FOX notch LSX + turbo swap pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 1993 FOX notch LSX + turbo swap pics

Been keeping my 93 LX coupe at the dealership now for a few months, under the radar. I bought it, a 2.3 liter with a custom/shitty made turbo kit on it. I quickly removed the cigarette ashes that had been built up for years when I threw out the carpet, and put in 1995 mustang seats. Since then, for months, I haven't touched the car. Was selling it,..keeping it, whatever. My manager, told me this week, to either remove the vehicle from the dealership, or I wasn't going to get any more work this upcoming week, until it was gone. Sucks.

but.....in conversation,..and jedi mind trickery,...he told me if I was working on the car, and showing some sort of progress, he didn't mind if it stayed at the shop....just as long as it wasn't being stored. Not having a place to keep the car,..I decided to pull the turbo 2 liter, and use a 5.3 liter LS we have laying around. We have a lot of spare parts, and I figured if I could involve the guys at the shop, or other friends outside the shop, to donate either time or spare parts, we ALL could have a fun race car, that everyone could go out and have a fun time at the track. It should be kinda cheap, with not t0 much actual cash invested.

A K member will be the first thing I will buy for it though. Looking at the AJE unless I can get a standard aftermarket 5.0 K member to work with ease. Friend was telling me about a K member -coilover setup for $599 for a 5.0,.. so something like that price for that setup, would be sweet. Anyways, going into this somewhat blinded, armed only with my knowledge (not much) and what I learn here from similar builds here on tech.

So far, plans

K member
5 lug conversion, cheap, 99 Gt
5 lug wheels
cage- 9 second legal
subframes
coilovers
rear suspension
flat black
upside down tubular shorty headers
homemade turbo setup
air to air
single garrett turbo
80lb injectors
bosh 044's
new hood, since this stock one is damaged
auto trans, 4l60-turbo400-dunno,..possibly T56...but doubtful.

I gotta figure out front cover setup, accessory drive, alternator setup, etc. I think I have my stock C5 stuff,...I should. Dunno if that will work though with the turbo layout though. Anyways, we are all looking forward to having a lot of fun whoring this car out, to pretty much anyone that wants to drive it. This will be a track car only. Maybe one day, some road course fun but, right now, just 1/8-1/4.

Much to learn, much to do. I am gonna start removing existing harness and such tomorrow, and throughout the week. Feel free to drop some advise.

and now,...motor pulled.

Picking up the 5.3 next weekend,..hoping to order a k member in two weeks.

Last edited by V-seriesTech; 09-07-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol,..looking at that pic, what wires/harness do I need to keep? Planing on keeping wipers, just in case, and the headlights. Other then that, thats all I need.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only wires you'll need to keep is the headlight, signals and horn wiring. The rest can go bye bye.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

And so it shall. Thanks for the insight man. Starting today.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Holy wire removal. Been removing little here, little there in between jobs...tedious
Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, if you start with the EFI harness it looks a lot less jumbled while removing the rest.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got A LOT out today. Been spraying degreaser in between wire snipping. Gotta get everything out of engine bay so I can douche it all. Gonna try to have the engine bay spotless, and maybe painted by weeks end. Gotta pick up motor, and all accessories that I have at other shop. Also gonna call race part solutions and grab some V bands for my truck manifold tubular headers, and weld those together. Also pick up a Y pipe(turbo y pipe) we have laying around for another car that will not be used.

Honestly getting really excited, even though its very early on, I think its gonna be a fun setup. I have air to air, air to water coolers laying around so with little modification, everything should be straight forward. Not to mention, a lot less fragile then my C5.

keep the insight rollin
Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesomeness.

Wait....(in my best redneck drawl)

you might be an LS turbo junkie if.....

you start a new build thread before your first car is done...
you dont know anything about this swap other than it will have an LS and a turbo...
you're willing to work on a FERD!!!

All kidding aside, you know I love this mess.
Can't wait to see it go.

I'll cast some of my votes now:
Stock motor, 80-88mm huffer.
TH400, gonna have to do some serious homework on the converter though.
E85 (duh)
Find an 8.8, easy enough.
Solid rear sway bar.
275/60 Radials

We wont have any problem getting it to hook, thats for sure.
I think you need to set a decent performance goal out of the box too...considering Robby's 4V/T76 swap'd fox went 143 first time out, I think thats a good place to start
Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Awesomeness.

Wait....(in my best redneck drawl)

you might be an LS turbo junkie if.....

you start a new build thread before your first car is done...
you dont know anything about this swap other than it will have an LS and a turbo...
you're willing to work on a FERD!!!

All kidding aside, you know I love this mess.
Can't wait to see it go.

I'll cast some of my votes now:
Stock motor, 80-88mm huffer.
TH400, gonna have to do some serious homework on the converter though.
E85 (duh)
Find an 8.8, easy enough.
Solid rear sway bar.
275/60 Radials

We wont have any problem getting it to hook, thats for sure.
I think you need to set a decent performance goal out of the box too...considering Robby's 4V/T76 swap'd fox went 143 first time out, I think thats a good place to start

Yeah,..I was no doubt dropped many, many times as a infant.

I'm calling that kid out first time we roll this car out no doubt. I have faith in it already. Figured we had enough turbo knowledge, enough LSX knowledge and parts laying around, and enough of our ford douchebag buddies to barder or acquire parts and knowledge from. The time was now, or possibly not any time soon. Besides, the C5 is nearing completion, hoping to drive it possibly this weekend or next, actually on the street(yay).

Anywho HOSS,..find me some cheap parts. 5 lug, brakes, etc. I need to get to see if any of my vendors carry k members. I need a hood to.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 09-06-2011, 10:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Matt C may still have some stuff lying around. MD has a spare foxbody we can rape for parts

I'll surf some of the local Stang banger forums tomorrow and see if theres any suspension deals out there.

BTW....I have an LS1 intake if you need it, a stock fuel rail/injectors, some random gaskets and fittings....LMK.

Oh ****...I still have that 4BBL Accufab Billet TB...single plane??
Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nice! May be needing the ls1 manifold. Possible to use the accufab but at moment would rather invest in suspension. Lemme know what you find though, from the two matts or someone local, I appreciate it
Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

And after a BATH, phase II. Still need to pressure clean, scrub, etc. Lots still to clean. You can see on the passenger side firewall area, they're was a small fire once before. No biggie,..in thinking, I think buddy I bought it from told me his old turbo setup caught fire, and flew through a puddle to put it out. I just never noticed until the grime was removed.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

So I picked up all kinds of parts. Consisting of: Two turbos, an air to air, intake, long block, truck manifolds, v bands, fuel rails, intake manifold,...and all kinds of stuff. Need to see if I can get the coin together to buy a k member.

Which reminds me,...

Has anyone used a UPR K member and modified it to work with an LS1? I planned for the AJE but I can get a lot for my money buying the UPR setup.

Curious if anyone has tried this.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys that run stock mustang k members, what motor mounts are you using? May just make/mount some solid ones in there and save some loot
Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Picked up the motor, manifolds,..intake(thanks mike@diablo), turbos(thanks Z07 Josh) and a BUNCH of extra parts I had laying around. Just gotta figure out the motor mount/k member dilemma

Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

]Ive got a Original C5 PTK turbo kit that I bought but went with a custom hotside.

Any interest PM me.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have 3 complete PTK kits, two of which are the original, one of which is on my vette.

I have no real interest in buying another set man, but, curious to what you want for it. Either way, thanks for the option.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stock hood but it would cost more to ship to you than its worth. If you use a stock k member it has to be an sn95 modular k and you have to fab the mounts
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can't use the factory fox member? If I gotta locate, find, and install another k member,...i'm not putting another factory part in.

Quick Reply: 1993 FOX notch LSX + turbo swap pics