Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 FOX notch LSX + turbo swap pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tugged on mine and it works perfect, I'm going with a Flaming river manual rack so ill have to get their steering shaft.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boostnut
I'm guessing you're referring to the steering shaft. If so, I had the same problem. My car, a few years newer, had a telescoping type shaft arrangement that just needed an attitude adjustment with a big hammer to make it work. By looking at your pics its obvious that yours is different but it sounds like the problem is the same. At one point I was told the AJE k-member drops the rack an inch or so, that would explain it huh?
Steering/intermediate shaft, si. I'd say it's now about an inch short. I don't remember taking a picture of the exact merger but, maybe in a few pics I am currently uploading it will show through but, if I had to guess, it's an 1", to 1 1/2" off/short. To get the car off my rack, and steer it into the parking lot so I could work monday, I had to zip tie the shaft to the upper column. I am disappointed about that,..if I would have known that was gonna happen, I would have been prepared. Thats a little gay. So now I either need to extend this one, or buy one.

Originally Posted by LS1PUNK
I just tugged on mine and it works perfect, I'm going with a Flaming river manual rack so ill have to get their steering shaft.

Bastard.

Mine lacks security.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 09-25-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 09-25-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its stupid how easy these motors drop right in.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its stupid how easy these motors drop right in.

Not on mine,..thanks for reminding me. My motor mounts, do not fit on the K member mounts.

Meaning, the aje K member has poly mounts installed from the factory, the LS1 mounts, are not wide enough for the K member mounting location WITH POLY mounts. It looks like i need to pry out the motor mounts and widen them so they fit. Kinda lame. Your fit with no issue? Just slide in?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe a set of offset rack bushings would help your steering shaft shortage..

Damn, did the Dolphins just score again???
Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Not on mine,..thanks for reminding me. My motor mounts, do not fit on the K member mounts.

Meaning, the aje K member has poly mounts installed from the factory, the LS1 mounts, are not wide enough for the K member mounting location WITH POLY mounts. It looks like i need to pry out the motor mounts and widen them so they fit. Kinda lame. Your fit with no issue? Just slide in?
Thats weird, my **** just dropped in no problem.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same guy musta built mine. I had fitment issues with the motor mounts too. I took a little off of the rubber mounts so it would go together. I too was not very impressed with AJE's overall quality. I'd gamble header fitment with a different k-member if I had it to do all over again.

BTW, what trans are you planning on running & did you buy an AJE trans mount?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport

Maybe....
Spoke too soon beotch....
Dolphins score again?....lol.... I dunno,...but my BROWNIES JUST T BAGGED them there in the END I believe. Win is a win....watching the game on tv was almost as good as being at the Dolphins stadium last year watching the Browns beat that ***.

Good game though spark plug,.better luck next year.

Thats weird, my **** just dropped in no problem.
AJE? lucky.

Same guy musta built mine. I had fitment issues with the motor mounts too. I took a little off of the rubber mounts so it would go together. I too was not very impressed with AJE's overall quality. I'd gamble header fitment with a different k-member if I had it to do all over again.

I haven't owned a mustang in years so this is the first K member I have worked on in one, seen plenty, just not worked to much with one. So far,..I ain't too happy either. I mean it bolts on,..but, so far, not 100% satisfied. If I have to modify bushings anything, I am gonna be pissed.

Just spent $400+ bucks to bolt in,..not to modify. For this, I coulda just used the shop welder and made some mounts with factory member.

Live and learn. Calling them tomorrow to see what is up. Will take pics tomorrow to show issue.

Thanks for comments.....especially you mike about the dolphins.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

My bad....have NOT decided on trans yet mang,....didn't buy trans brace as result. Have you?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

"9389coupe" said the upper portion of the shaft, emerging from firewall, can be pulled out some,..so hopefully, this will work for me. Tomorrow morning will try.

and GO BROWNS
Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My bad....have NOT decided on trans yet mang,....didn't buy trans brace as result. Have you?
Yeah, it didn't fit worth a **** either. It bolted up to the car fine but they cut slots in the center to bolt it to the trans, I had to elongate a slot to get the trans in the correct position. Overall not impressed. The only reasons I went this route was it looked like it made things easy & it would get the driveline angles correct, 1 less thing for me to deal with.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I've seen enough people modify the stock trans cross member for use with all sorts of non stock trannys that my advice has been to wait until we have a trans bolted up and see what needs to be done before buying something
Old 09-26-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, it didn't fit worth a **** either. It bolted up to the car fine but they cut slots in the center to bolt it to the trans, I had to elongate a slot to get the trans in the correct position. Overall not impressed. The only reasons I went this route was it looked like it made things easy & it would get the driveline angles correct, 1 less thing for me to deal with.

Word. Same reason I bought the member,..for proper alignment without question.

I've seen enough people modify the stock trans cross member for use with all sorts of non stock trannys that my advice has been to wait until we have a trans bolted up and see what needs to be done before buying something
Still figuring out the trans...T400 or a glide...or?... The idea is to do it on a budget. Whatever is cost effective, cheap, and rebuild-able.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say Th400 but I'm biased.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm down.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the TH400, pretty hard to kill them and they're relatively cheap.

I had the exact same issue with the steering shaft, it'll pull out of the firewall if you persuade with a dead blow, though.
My mounts were pretty snug too when I messing with them and the K by hand when it was all sitting out on the shop floor. But once the mounts were bolted to the motor and I had them and the engine's weight down on the k member they went right on. I don't recommend trying to bolt the motor to the motor mounts in car. That's a PITA. It's a lot easier to bolt them on the motor, drop it in and line the mounts up with the K member in car and slide the cross bolts in and cinch er' up.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by RATBOX

I had the exact same issue with the steering shaft, it'll pull out of the firewall if you persuade with a dead blow, though.
My mounts were pretty snug too when I messing with them and the K by hand when it was all sitting out on the shop floor. But once the mounts were bolted to the motor and I had them and the engine's weight down on the k member they went right on. I don't recommend trying to bolt the motor to the motor mounts in car. That's a PITA. It's a lot easier to bolt them on the motor, drop it in and line the mounts up with the K member in car and slide the cross bolts in and cinch er' up.
Great advice, thanks for sharing
Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RATBOX

True dat. I figured the mounts were gonna work no matter,... when we put standard motors in the cars they're supposed to we do it the same way,..mounts always bolted to the block , atleast the upper portion. Thanks for mentioning and the heads up. FIgured if they were tight, i'd bevill the top portion of the poly and let it slide in.

If I had my way, I would go manual...just cause I dig powershifting. But, so many people will drive this car,..and for what we are asking of it,..I think it will break, way to soon. I can't afford a TR6060 so,...auto it is. Gonna start looking into picking up a 400. I DO, have a buddy at work that will let me borrow a glide...so, I dunno at moment. I don't like borrowing **** but, I guess we could fix that if I used it and broke it.

Thanks for advise man, noted and appreciated.

Quick Reply: 1993 FOX notch LSX + turbo swap pics