Sponsored by:

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control

Hello,

Has anyone retained the cruise control in their swap? My 1966 Chevelle doesn't currently have cruise control, but it would be nice to have on long trips. Would it be difficult to create a small switch panel that would control the cruise control? Any suggestions as to how it could be done would be great.

Thanks,
Kevin C
Old 03-06-2004, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kevinc
Hello,

Has anyone retained the cruise control in their swap? My 1966 Chevelle doesn't currently have cruise control, but it would be nice to have on long trips. Would it be difficult to create a small switch panel that would control the cruise control? Any suggestions as to how it could be done would be great.

Thanks,
Kevin C
I fitted an aftermarket kit from Daytona Digital.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

One way to do it, is to use an electronic controlled throttle body, along with the TCM, and throttle-by-wire pedal. Makes for a simple connection into the factory Cruise control system of the ECM, or so I'm told.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Coolvet
I fitted an aftermarket kit from Daytona Digital.

Was that Daytona Digital or a Dakota Digital? I am putting a LS in a 1968 Chevy truck and want to know what would work the best and how well it performs. How much of a nightmare was your install?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by piecesparts
Was that Daytona Digital or a Dakota Digital? I am putting a LS in a 1968 Chevy truck and want to know what would work the best and how well it performs. How much of a nightmare was your install?
You're right, it was Dakota Digital. Thhe install was quite easy really, the tricky bit is wiring it up which I have not completed as yet. I think it will work pretty nicely though when finished.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:50 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Most aftermarket cruise systems I have tried don't hold the speed well and are generally a pain in the ****! Putting the factory type cruise on there is easy. Just get a cruise module from a salvage yard or off e-bay and get a service manual to help you wire it up. The only wires it needs are 12v, grnd, a brake switch signal, and a vss input from the pcm. The other wires just come from the switch and if you are going to make your own switch panel, that will work too. The way it works is the inputs from the switch are 12v when the switch is depressed. In other words, say if you are wanting to set at a certain speed, when you press "set" the set wire from the switch to the module ecomes hot. When you release the switch it goes dead. Same with the other functions...when you press resume, the resume wire becomes hot till you unpress it. Really a simple system and it works great.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. I personally like the thought of using the factory style cruise control. I've heard a lot of problems with the aftermarket systems. It sounds fairly simple. Is the factory system integrated into the factory harness and engine computer, or is it a completely seperate system?

Thanks again,

Kevin C
Old 03-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Teching In

I used the ETC or electronic throttle control and all you have to do is add about two wires to your pcm or the throttle control,I can't remember which, one to twelve volts and one to your clutch & brake switch. I used a camaro cruise assy. I just pulled it off of the arm and epoxy'd it to my original turn signal arm. Works great and is easy to do.

Dale
Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control-dscn1482a.jpg  

Last edited by 1963 SS LS1; 03-09-2004 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Kevin

I used the factory cruise control on my installation. Had to make a bracket for the servo that was easy, and then had to figure out why the sucker wouldn't work. It turned out to be a ground missing from the cruise module to the PCM.

You can imagine how high I was kicking myself
Old 03-12-2004, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

I've used the factory cruise control module in two cars. Once you understand how it works it's great. I had a little trouble with the first one, but I finally figured it out.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control