Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye 4-Banger, Hello LS2 – Miata Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckd71
I found a bolt at a place called 'bolt and screw' or something like that. Was a couple bucks I think for the bolt and hand full of washers to use as spacers. Found the place by asking some people that do a lot of farming, they always seem to know where to get random stuff like that.
I ended up just ordering the bolt from McMaster. M16 x 120mm x 2.0 pitch 10.9

It was sitting on my doorstep in less that 24 hours from the time I ordered it!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

More parts showed up!

- LS3 heads
- Oil pan gasket
- Water pump gasket
- Front crank seal
- LS3 head gasket
- Piolot bearing
- LS3 intake rockers
- LS3 rocker stands
- SLP 25% pulley
- V8R oil pan screw on filter

The only thing I need to start building up the engine is the cam kit
Old 10-21-2011, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

A few shots of the new parts. This stuff is too nice looking to hide under a hood

Monster approved of all the new parts, thankfully.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few questions...

Nice thread you have here.

1. From what I've seen at flyin miata most builds use the F-body T-56 not the GTO or CTS-V, which will you use? BTW, what's the reason to use either the forward mount or rear mount engine mounting set-ups?

2. Do you know if any of the OEM oil pans fit using an aftermarket subframe without cutting/reworking the pan?

Thanks,

--JMarsa
Old 10-27-2011, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmarsa
Nice thread you have here.

1. From what I've seen at flyin miata most builds use the F-body T-56 not the GTO or CTS-V, which will you use? BTW, what's the reason to use either the forward mount or rear mount engine mounting set-ups?

2. Do you know if any of the OEM oil pans fit using an aftermarket subframe without cutting/reworking the pan?

Thanks,

--JMarsa
1. I bought the engine and tranny together out of a GTO. Swapping out THIS part on the GTO tranny lets you use F-body shifters and makes both of transmissions identical with the exception of the better internals and different gearing of the GTO tranny.

I went with the rear mount for radiator clearance and weight distribution.

2. To my knowledge there isn't any OEM pan that fits with the V8R tubular subframe. The cheap way to do it is to modify a new F-body pan. I went the expensive route and bought the V8R pan. I figure it's one less thing to worry about.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Speaking of subframes.. I ordered some more parts today.

- LSx rearward mount kit
- Motor mount heat shields
- Frame reinforcement kit
- Oil pressure adapter, 16x1.5 -> 1/8 NPT

Spoke with EPS today. The cam is taking longer than expected but they said it should be compete tomorrow or Monday. Hopefully I'll have it next week so I can put this engine together!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Cool

Interesting build, I would like to see the time slip difference when done. Will it hook up alright with the setup you are going to use. My neighbor has a twin turbo older Miata, kicks his brand new Challenger easily.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

You are going to love the LS3 heads and PatG cam, 243s, even ported, have NOTHING on the LS3 heads. Very interested to see the final dyno and track numbers. Also, that CTSV rear will hold fine with lots of power since the Miata weighs almost a ton less than the CTSV.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj
Interesting build, I would like to see the time slip difference when done. Will it hook up alright with the setup you are going to use. My neighbor has a twin turbo older Miata, kicks his brand new Challenger easily.
Hooking up is going to be a challenge. Right now I'm running 225/45/15 RA-1's. Pretty sticky tire for sure but its designed more for cornering than launching. We'll see...

Any ideas what it might run in the 1/4 with this power to weight?(450rwhp/2300lbs) I was guessing 11's but i dunno. Either way I'm sure I'd only get one shot at it before I got kicked out of the dragstrip.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now that you've had the lift for a few weeks - whats your opinion of it?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
Now that you've had the lift for a few weeks - whats your opinion of it?
I haven't had the opportunity to do any actual work under it yet but I've had the car up and down probably two dozen times. So far the lift has worked flawlessly. The motor doesn't act as if it's under any load at all when raising the car. I think the limits of this lift were based on how it attaches to the floor.

With that said, I was a little paranoid about the anchors and my less than perfect floor. I decided to add some supports up to the ceiling and across the top of the posts using 4" reinforced C-channel as vertical posts and 2 x 4 x 3/16 rectangle tubing across the top. It's probably way overkill but it gives me extra piece of mind.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lookin sexy! Haha.

Nice over engineering it!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

The cam kit showed up Friday so I was able to make some good progress this weekend. Spent Friday night assembling the new heads.

Last edited by MX6.0; 11-06-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Then I spend most of the day Saturday putting the rest of the engine together.

Still need to figure out if I need to modify the windage tray and mount the new oil pan.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

I've been trying to figure out the best belt routing since I'm not running a P/S pump. This is the 1st option. It doesn't provide a lot of contact with the water pump but after doing a search it looks like some others have run this setup before.

The 2nd option is to add another idler pulley next to the water pump. Obviously if I had the correct 6 rib pulley I'd just go this route, but I don't. (The one used in the pic isn't ribbed)

How much of a load will the water pump have on it once the system is filled with water? I ask this because right now it spins very freely and I don't believe the 1st option would be a problem.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MX6.0
Monster approved of all the new parts, thankfully.
http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/P1010171.jpg
Better not skimp out on this build! Wouldnt wanna see monster mad!!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The 2nd option is to add another idler pulley next to the water pump. Obviously if I had the correct 6 rib pulley I'd just go this route, but I don't. (The one used in the pic isn't ribbed)
http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/P1010197.jpg

How much of a load will the water pump have on it once the system is filled with water? I ask this because right now it spins very freely and I don't believe the 1st option would be a problem.

Option 2 for sure w/ a 6 rib pulley. Would also suggest a small non ribbed pulley in the bolt hole left of the alternator pulley, between the alternator & crank to increase wrap around crank.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

I believe the idler pulley shown in option 2 is supposed to provide more wrap on the crank as opposed to the W/P. In order to get more wrap on both I'd probably have to run the P/S idler. I was just trying to avoid the extra clutter of all the extra idlers,ect.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the idler pulley shown in option 2 is supposed to provide more wrap on the crank as opposed to the W/P. In order to get more wrap on both I'd probably have to run the P/S idler. I was just trying to avoid the extra clutter of all the extra idlers,ect.

Gotcha, IMO, the clutter is worth it. I've got mine set up exactly as noted in the reply, as to avoid high RPM slippage. For the idler between the crank & alternator, used a small diameter idler pulley left over from a BRP cold side kit. It's like 2" in diameter.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Gotcha, IMO, the clutter is worth it. I've got mine set up exactly as noted in the reply, as to avoid high RPM slippage. For the idler between the crank & alternator, used a small diameter idler pulley left over from a BRP cold side kit. It's like 2" in diameter.
That's a good idea.

On your setup is the upper idler pulley that's next to the water pump ribbed or smooth? The ribbed side of the belt rides on this pulley but I wasn't sure if it was required to be ribbed since it's just an idler.

Quick Reply: Goodbye 4-Banger, Hello LS2 – Miata Build