Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRP Nightmare.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRP Nightmare.....

I stepped up and purchased a full blown kit from BRP for my 67 Firebird. I thought the conversion was going to be somewhat easy. I was wrong. The Rack and Pinon is to long and the angles for the rack to the steering shaft won't work because they bind up. I think you have to use a late model steering colum for this to work. Anyway I now have a cut up sub frame I need to weld back up. I was wondering, should I use the motor mounts and tranny mount from BRP to complete the conversion? Also I plan on putting my rear steer back in the car. Will it clear the headers, etc, etc. Help my motors almost ready to install............Feel free to email me at jcp@reatachevy.com Thanks guys
Old 03-23-2004, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

the rack needs to be angled back slightly so that the u-joints do not bind. I just got my BRP kit working this week. I had to notch some areas on that weld-in tube on the k-member for u-joint clearance, and also notch the k-member a bit behind the input shaft housing on the rack. This allowed it to tilt back a bit, making the steering geometry work well.

Used the factory '69 column. That flange on the end of the factory column is slipped onto a splined shaft, and then the end is flared to keep it from coming off. I used my sawsall to chop the flange off (from the backside, as close to the flange as possible) and then used a pulley puller to remove the remaining part of the flange that was stuck on the splined end. This left about 3/8" of splines on the end of the shaft. You will need a 1"-48 spline to 3/4" DD steering u-joint at the top. I got mine from Flaming River (about $75 shipped). The DD (double-D) shaped BRP shaft needs to be cut to fit.

It was a minor pain in the *** to install, but mine is in. Once I get it final installed, I'm going to tack weld the steering column shaft to the flaming river U-joint, as there aren't quite enough splines showing for the set screw to grab.

Tony
Old 03-23-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you plan on using the steering gear box and NOT the Rack/pinion??

Well thats what I did, and I used the BRP mounts BUT i had to make adaptor plates to move the engine back 1 5/8 inches so that 1. the oil pan will clear the center link and 2. so the gear box will clear the headers.

I think my system is perfect.. it moves the engine closer to the firewall and gives a much better weight ballance.. HOWEVER there is one drawback to what I did.. I can NOT run the factory AC compressor in the stock fbody location.. well at least I heard i can (didnt actually try).. I was told that the BRP system moves the engine so far forward for this reason.

Personally im not convinced that the rack and pinion system is THAT much better than a GOOD gear box set-up.. im running the new DS&E Saginaw 600 boxes that actually has a pinion type valve in it..

Oh, im running S&P mid headers.. pics at my site.. best of luck to ya
Old 03-23-2004, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

nineball - got pis of ur rack & pinion installed (actually on the whole car) yet?
Old 03-23-2004, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

will snap photos tonight, post tomorrow
Old 03-23-2004, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

thanks i apprecitate it
Old 03-23-2004, 09:04 PM
Teching In

The rack & pinion is a pain, but works great. Talk to Kyle at DSE 810 227-6343 about your gear box he can set up yours or buy his for the same amount it will feel like you have a rack set up. If you need to modify your pan Visalia Street Performance will do it for you they also carry the LS1 motor mount conversion. Good luck. By the way DSE is also working on the conversions for LS1.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Here are the photos of the installed BRP rack/pinion kit. As you can see, I had to cut away certain areas of the K-member to make the rack and U-joints fit snug. No biggie since there is still a 1/2 cut piece of pipe welded behind it to reinforce it enough. Warning, the car is dirty! Alot of sanding going on

BRP rack photo 1
BRP rack photo 2
BRP rack photo 3
BRP rack photo 4
Old 06-17-2022, 05:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Here are the photos of the installed BRP rack/pinion kit. As you can see, I had to cut away certain areas of the K-member to make the rack and U-joints fit snug. No biggie since there is still a 1/2 cut piece of pipe welded behind it to reinforce it enough. Warning, the car is dirty! Alot of sanding going on

BRP rack photo 1
BRP rack photo 2
BRP rack photo 3
BRP rack photo 4
Sorry to bring this thread back 20 yrs later but I'm considering installing a 4th gen rack in my 67. Any chance you still have and can repost those pictures? The links don't seem to work anymore.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,114 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You might have a chance at this. Nine Ball waslast here in December. You never know...
The following users liked this post:
nickmkk (06-17-2022)

Quick Reply: BRP Nightmare.....