Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring up an LM7/LR4 turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default wiring up an LM7/LR4 turbo swap

i plan on putting a 4.8/5.3 3rd gen motor with a turbo into my 71 monte and i know everything ill need regarding getting the motor in the car, mounted up and hooked up to the th350 but im not sure whats involved with the wiring having never messed with an EFI car before, i plan on getting a motor with a full harness and running it with an msd 6ls box and an MS1 or MS2. now my question is, if i have a motor with a full harness and buy the msd 6ls box/harness for that and a megasquirt what else will i have to buy, if anything to finish the wiring? and what exactly will have to be done to the wiring? thanks for any help you can offer
Old 02-15-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anybody?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't worry about the msd, ms1 or ms2. get a stock computer to match your engine parameters and a wiring harness ( set up for stand alone) and tune original ecm. the gm gen iii/VI are incredible and will take any tuning you'll need.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tryinggenIII
don't worry about the msd, ms1 or ms2. get a stock computer to match your engine parameters and a wiring harness ( set up for stand alone) and tune original ecm. the gm gen iii/VI are incredible and will take any tuning you'll need.
can i buy a wiring harness set up for stand alone? or what would i have to do to the factory harness?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

you can set the original harness up for stand alone or have someone do it for you. It takes 3-8 hours to accomplish depending on how involved you get. the first harness i did took me 3 hours, because i just cut the wires i didnt need and took the pins from the ecm. I wouldnt recommend doing it that way, but its an option. I would recommend getting a wiring diagram for the year harness that you end up with and mark the wires on the diagram that you arent going to use and take them all out and then label all wires that you do need (12v+key, 12v+konstant, grounds, vss, tach, mil, obd2, starter, fan, fuel pump, etc) there are many people that do it for a living, just search and you will find someone.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright, so modify the harness for stand alone, get the motor/turbo in the car, and tune the ecu and i should be all set? know of anywhere that can tune gm ecu's in the new england area?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry, don't know anyone tuning in New England, but I'm sure there is someone
Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You may be able to find a tuner through the HP Tuners or EFI Live boards. Also, if you plan on changing the truck intake for a car intake make sure you factor those connectors into the cost. If you decide you want to buy a standalone harness, give us a call.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-20-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you do your own harness this link below has alot of good info to walk you though what needs to be done.

http://lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

Its really not that hard to work through the harness and get it all cleaned up, just need to be patient and take you time and it will be fine. Either way, good luck.

Quick Reply: wiring up an LM7/LR4 turbo swap