Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing my 1st Ls swap, Need advice....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing my 1st Ls swap, Need advice....

hello i jus acquired a 2004 5.3 with 243 heads... its bone stock im doing a cam to pep it up a little, im putting it in a 1979 firebird, i already have the harness and cpu but i was told i need swap mounts, which ive had no luck finding at all, need a lil help if anyone knows where to get some??? i will also post pictures of the project.... thanks in advance...
Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

On my swap I used swap plates from eBay and the clamshell mounts from a 1978 camaro. Carshop mounts are popular as well.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ebay has like 30 different styles you can choose from, from simple bolt on to fully adjustable. You bolt the plates to your engine, and then you bolt the old motor mounts to those.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might also need to look into the Frame stands, most of the adapter plates are make around using SBC / 350 stands. If you need you can pickup used or repo's cheap.

Else you can try and modify to meet your needs.

BC
Old 06-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Teching In

thanks guys got my mounts outta the way but now i need a ls1 oil pan, my 5.3 pan is about 3/4" too big its on the crossmember, but its coming along slowly but surely.... can i ask what fuel set up works best?? im using the fuel injected system, dont know to get external sump pump or in tank???
Old 06-21-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1 f-Body pan should get the best ground clearance, but need to check the crossmember to rear oil pan sump area for contact, If none, your good..

For Fuel Pump, I would recommend Intank, take a look a the Tanksinc.com intank setup. easy conversion and cost is pretty good. Then use a 99+ Vette Fuel Filter Regulator (FPR) AC / Delco GF-822.

What mounts did you end up with ?

Let us know your next question !..

BC
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by coupeboy317
thanks guys got my mounts outta the way but now i need a ls1 oil pan, my 5.3 pan is about 3/4" too big its on the crossmember, but its coming along slowly but surely.... can i ask what fuel set up works best?? im using the fuel injected system, dont know to get external sump pump or in tank???
Id look in the classifieds, or on ebay for an LS1 pan. The CTSV pan works well also.. If all else fails, they have a tut on how to mod and but ur oilpan to make it fit. Doesnt look all that hard either...
Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Teching In

yea i was thinking intank also, and im using trans dapt trash 1'' setbacks had to customize them a lil bit... with my 1979 firebird ima have to remove half my heater box due to little or no space for any type of exhaust to fit... sucks becuase indiana weather is either hot or cold in the fall months, really wannna keep my heat...
Old 06-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Teching In

never heard of customizing a oil pan before...
Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

there is a few articles on how to build your own mounts
Old 06-21-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you HVAC box has room between the box cover and the internals (evaporator and anythinig else). Try what I did...For the Heater box, on my Chevelle

I had little to nothing in a few area.. I took the box cover off, cut a notch into it where it was needed. The flipped the part I cut out notch, and Glassed it back together, gained about 1" by doing this.

Hey, just noticed.. you got no Pictures on this thread !! LOL..

BC
Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...p/viewall.html the above is an article that will help you with your swap
Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Teching In

lol yea i jus havent got around to posting pictures but here are a few.... of how i got started, out with old, alot of cleaning little things in between....
Attached Thumbnails Doing my 1st Ls swap, Need advice....-ls19.jpg   Doing my 1st Ls swap, Need advice....-s11.jpg   Doing my 1st Ls swap, Need advice....-sl15.jpg   Doing my 1st Ls swap, Need advice....-ls14.jpg   Doing my 1st Ls swap, Need advice....-ls15.jpg  

Old 06-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Teching In

so im goin cut the heater box, and fiberglass something to make it all still fit... my havc vent leading into my car off the fire wall is maybe a few inches of what i need so itll be really close but how i feel a delete is not a option...
Old 06-22-2012, 05:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

so im goin cut the heater box, and fiberglass something to make it all still fit... my havc vent leading into my car off the fire wall is maybe a few inches of what i need so itll be really close but how i feel a delete is not a option...
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Kooks-645...450-S-0711.htm

You shouldn't have to cut into your heater box for these headers, although to make them fit on the 2nd gen you have to use their motor mounts which are shown in one of the pictures. We're using this combination on our '77 T/A. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sand...eader-Set.html
this might be the answer for that header situation without cutting the ac box but if you are considering a delete you can remove the whole system and upgrade to a colder better performing system the will not take up all the valuable space. this is the system im running in my second gen camaro. give them a call great tech support.http://www.classicautoair.com/. you can pull the entire box out and smooth the firewall.

Last edited by boogiewonderland; 06-22-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by boogiewonderland
http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sand...eader-Set.html
this might be the answer for that header situation without cutting the ac box but if you are considering a delete you can remove the whole system and upgrade to a colder better performing system the will not take up all the valuable space. this is the system im running in my second gen camaro. give them a call great tech support.http://www.classicautoair.com/. you can pull the entire box out and smooth the firewall.
1-1/2 headers tubes on the Sanderson headers, I really don't recall seeing anything that small, even on a standard sbc. They offer options up to 1-3/4 but even 1-3/4 is small for a lot of engine builds. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Launching!

never heard of customizing a oil pan before...
It has been done.. I have seen it on this site..
Old 06-25-2012, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

The motor he is describing is a stock application with out any power adders the size is on the small side but thats what they are made for. They are a shorty design that allows for faster evacuation of the tube into a 3 inch collector which will give you more than adequate flow on a stock 5.3. With the increased velocity you can run mild power adders. Bigger is not always better when your goal is to not go through the eye of a needle to get a diminished return. http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...p/viewall.html. and you dont have to worry about gasket leaks and you can put some money into a pan or an intake with what you save not buying a set of headers you dont have enought motor for....

Quick Reply: Doing my 1st Ls swap, Need advice....