Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding Dad's Panoz; LS1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013 | 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Tapp says all radiators are pressure tested to 32 psi with rubber hoses and slip fit connections. The hoses won't burst, but it's the slip fit that would be the weak point. That said, they do all their testing with slip fits and hose clamps.

Regardless, a little more research shows I have no need for a 30 psi cap and the increased boiling point. A 30 psi cap gives me a 290 boiling point for pure water. I back off at 240 since this is all amateur self-pay no sponsors stuff. Usually the cars will stay in the 210-215 range unless it's a 100+ day and you're on someone's bumper for an extended period.

A 20 psi cap is more than sufficient (260 degree boiling point) for my use. It really doesn't matter if I leave the 30 psi cap in place if I'm going to be backing off at 235-240 degrees anyway. I checked my Corvette and it has an 18 psi cap standard.
Look into the Gates heat shrink hose clamps. They are superior to any worm clamp. Only downside is that you can't reuse them. You may also want to run a 4 corner steam vent, if you haven't done that already.

Andrew
Old 05-14-2013 | 10:15 PM
Launching!

Interesting info on the cooling water flow. I guess if you have something that works, don't mess with it.
Old 05-15-2013 | 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I see the wiring benefit, but you've added unsprung weight and the alternator will be rotating a lot slower that it would on the engine. You'll have slower pinion rotation in all but 1:1 gear (transmission) and the pulley itself is much smaller in diameter than a typical crank pulley. I don't think it will charge very effectively, but I could be wrong. Definitely unique.
A few pounds of alternator is negligible when you have the entire mass of a Ford 9" and 31 spline axles as unsprung weight to begin with. As far as charging ability, we'll see, there is some unknown here, but the car will be at RPM all the time vs. a drag car or a street car that needs charging at lower rpms.

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Those are bad ***. I wonder how well they'll hold up over time. Did you print them on an inkjet or laser?
Just hand wrote in ink. They're all covered with wire loom now. Just put them there for reference since most of the wire is the same color.

Originally Posted by ctd450
Very cool build BTW.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Look into the Gates heat shrink hose clamps. They are superior to any worm clamp. Only downside is that you can't reuse them. You may also want to run a 4 corner steam vent, if you haven't done that already.

Andrew
I saw the heat shrink clamps, but I like things to be serviceable. I'm going to use OEM clamps I have from all my spare Corvette stuff along with a 20 psi cap. The OEM Corvette surge tank cap is 18psi and works well. I'm running the older style four port steam port already. I use the standard one with front ports in my LS6 in my Corvette and have never had issues.
Old 05-15-2013 | 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Serpentine belt ended up @ 41". According to another Panoz owner with a LS1, this is plenty of belt wrap and works fine. If it doesn't work I can always install a separate idler.

Catch can and radiator overflow mounted. Catch can has feed lines from each valve cover using OEM PCV system ports and one from the rear of the valley cover. Can also has a return line to a -6 AN fitting added to the passenger side of the pan toward the front. No need to drain the can and no issues with oil dripping down on the side-pipe. Got the MAP sensor hooked up as well; uses a barb on the passenger side of the manifold and a tube connecting the two.

Old 05-16-2013 | 09:56 AM
Teching In

Brian, (its dj fitzpatrick) are you worried about not running any vacuum on the catch can? Trying to figure out a solution for my setup and worried about no vacuum on it..
Old 05-16-2013 | 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Racecar doesn't need vacuum on the can. When the engine produces excess pressure it's vented w/o making a mess. Street cars need vacuum because they spend a lot of time at low RPM and idle so they need vacuum to suck crank vapors out and create a flow through the system. On my Corvette I run dual cans in the factory PCV and fresh air feed lines but they're not vented, they hook up to the TB and intake manifold.

Old 05-16-2013 | 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Serpentine belt ended up @ 41". According to another Panoz owner with a LS1, this is plenty of belt wrap and works fine. If it doesn't work I can always install a separate idler.
It's your overly cautious poster again That belt wrap looks pretty minimal to me. You might keep an eye on it; make note of any fine rubber particles around the belt areas after you run it. Though you may or may not hear it slipping, the particles are usually a sign of slippage.

Andy1
Old 05-16-2013 | 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Any info on that tensioner?
Old 05-16-2013 | 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andy1
It's your overly cautious poster again That belt wrap looks pretty minimal to me. You might keep an eye on it; make note of any fine rubber particles around the belt areas after you run it. Though you may or may not hear it slipping, the particles are usually a sign of slippage.

Andy1
I'm the same way... always doing failure analysis on everything. I plan on watching it closely when the car is on the dyno. You are correct that rubber dust will tell the tale.

Originally Posted by ctd450
Any info on that tensioner?
Katech manual tensioner. I picked this one up used so it's the older design. I have one on my Corvette as well.
Old 05-16-2013 | 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 05-19-2013 | 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Radiator overflow hose done, upper radiator hose figured out, and lower almost done pending a tube splice to use half of the OEM Corvette lower.

Hardcore dipstick fabrication. Chrome handle adds a few horses.

Clutch and brake masters bled.

Clutch works. Quartermaster hydraulic throw-out bearing seems to be doing it's job perfectly. Set the pedal stop just past where I can turn the driveshaft by hand.
Old 05-20-2013 | 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 54inches
Did you get a ramp score?
lol! Cool about the RTI. learned something today. Guess we'll molly the leaves before we go out from now on.
Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding Dad's Panoz; LS1 swap-toyclimbhf-03-2013.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013 | 10:57 AM
Teching In

Racecar doesn't need vacuum on the can. When the engine produces excess pressure it's vented w/o making a mess. Street cars need vacuum because they spend a lot of time at low RPM and idle so they need vacuum to suck crank vapors out and create a flow through the system. On my Corvette I run dual cans in the factory PCV and fresh air feed lines but they're not vented, they hook up to the TB and intake manifold.
Thanks, that makes total sense!
Old 05-22-2013 | 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Side pipes finish welding done by Mike Balf Racecars. Really nice work... too bad most of it will be covered with header wrap.

Old 05-24-2013 | 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pro 5.0 shifter, custom shifter handle, and Hurst ****... Feels awesome. Far superior to the remote shifter.

Coolant hose splice worked perfectly for the lower. Adapted half an OEM C5 hose.
Old 05-25-2013 | 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

I very rarely venture out of the F.I. section, but today I'm very glad that I did. Very clean build, and just amazing attention to detail, keep it up sir!
Old 05-25-2013 | 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Very nice. Great job!
Old 05-26-2013 | 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the compliments. Got the side pipes wrapped and installed, filled her with fluids and will fire it up tomorrow. Had a seeping dipstick and one of the heater core ports I tapped and plugged was weeping. Fixed both of those. Got home from seeing Fast 6 tonight (great movie if you like the franchise) and the garage floor was 100% dry.
Old 05-26-2013 | 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Looks badass man
Old 05-26-2013 | 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

She's ALIVE!!!

Last edited by Cobra4B; 05-26-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Dad's Panoz; LS1 swap