Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into 2001 BMW 540i

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

found a fun photo from Fall '14, after a night of booting it around the streets with buddies in an M5 and a V8 A6

More NVH fixes. Due to the weird offset shifter I never really came up with a way to close up the hole I made so I was always getting a lot of gear noise (from trans), fumes when sitting still, exhaust sound, etc. Wasn't unbearable by any means but just enough to be annoying.

Here we go:

Problem solved, right?

Few minutes later:

I ended up removing the duct that feeds the rear vent since nobody ever sits back there, and making up a blockoff for the that HVAC outlet so it's not pissing air inside the center console. Still have to put some new sheetmetal in there to cover the shifter hole partially - it's a weird shape that doesn't really fit the rubber boot I bought. No pics of that

Moving on to the front end of the car - mounted up my new power steering cooler. I initially used the OEM one with no problems but since I no longer have the factory condenser tray in place, the condenser needs to be mounted in a way that gets in the way of the OEM cooler. So I tossed that guy and installed this nice Derale unit. Since the condenser fittings will be on the passenger side, I decided to mount the cooler on the driver's side right behind the kidney grill for ideal airflow. The kit came with those thru-style zip ties that mount the cooler directly to the radiator, but I didn't really like the idea of those two rubbing against each other - plus they look crappy and have the potential to break. So, I used the old aux fan mounting studs to mount the cooler directly to the core support.

OEM Aux Fan mount studs

Smash em out and you get this. Drilled 1 new hole to comfortably mount the cooler.

Put a longer bolt in and insulate against vibration

Trimmed some of the spacers that originally held the fan and voila

The included cooler return line (rubber) goes directly to the GM LS1 power steering reservoir and was a perfect fit for it. On the supply side (low pressure steering box -> cooler) I needed to adapt from the BMW line to the Derale line, so I reused some brass fittings I had used in the past to adapt these lines to the OEM cooler. Filled the system and no leaks, but I'll have to double check once I fire it up since the system still needs to be bled.

In the theme of cleaning things up I decided to revise my upper rad hose. I used a generic hose (forgot when kind) but had to cut it to orient the one end correctly. No big deal, I used a plumbing style barb hose splicer which worked fine but looked cheap and rigged. I also found it annoying when filling the cooling system since the VW coolant bottle is routed down to the heater lines through a fairly small diameter hose and took forever to fill and burp. Killed two birds with one stone by finding "Radiator Hose Fillers" on good ole Summit and adding a traditional radiator cap as well. If I had known these existed I would have used them in the first place

Installed:

I tied the bleed vent on that fill neck into the coolant line that connects the steam vent on the heads and the small nipple on the C5 radiator.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Wal Mart and go to the sports section. Pick up the big yoga rubber bands. The set I got had three in there. You can cut a round hole in the rubber and stretch it around the shifter base. Then you can tape the edges of the band to the floorboard. You could even do it again for good measure. Fits under your stick boot and ducting, etc.

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another midwinter update on little things.

Picked up an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer for the garage, the heater is fighting Buffalo cold fairly well.

IMG_20150110_113841_253 by nogiba, on Flickr

Was picking away at details the last few weeks and rather enjoying it, but had an unfortunate skiing accident that put a damper on things.
IMG_20150114_112720_717 by nogiba, on Flickr

Luckily no breaks but a severe sprain has left me one handed for the next 2 weeks.

_DSC3567 by nogiba, on Flickr

Never one to sit still for long I got bored after 2 days, packed up my tools on a chilly Saturday and headed to a big salvage yard 90 minutes away just east of Rochester.

IMG_20150114_073308_767 by nogiba, on Flickr

I was on the hunt for a few odds and ends but mostly wanted to get my hands (correction: hand) on a pair of 15" aluminum wheels for drag duty. The website listed a half dozen 6 cylinder E39s, so chances were good, but since they don't do individual parts inventory, I went for a ride.

Quickly found the moneypit section with a fairly clean example in burgundy
IMG_20150117_145534_116 by nogiba, on Flickr

Just 2 rear wheels remaining on that one, great shape, no rash, no bends, great, let's get to it. Removed one after struggling with one hand but once the last nut came off a swift kick made her fall right off. Went around to the passenger side, removed nuts again, and no amount of stomping would have it come off. With the yard closing fairly soon and the wife complaining that I was going to be late for our dinner with friends, I was about to say screw it but noticed a silver wagon close by, wearing just one 15" wheel.

IMG_20150117_145554_643 by nogiba, on Flickr

IMG_20150117_145542_474 by nogiba, on Flickr

Unfortunately the other 15 was nowhere to be found, so again I was about to throw in the towel (with my good hand) but noticed that there were loose Volvo wheels littered everywhere around the wagon. The wagon was surrounded by Volvos anyhow, so on a hunch I trudged around kicking snow off loose wheels.

IMG_20150117_145600_232 by nogiba, on Flickr

Sure enough, about 6 cars away, found the other one laying on the ground and rolled her back. The wheel on the wagon was held on by just one loose bolt, so after 2 trips back to the parking lot we were good to go.

Yee haw. The kid working the desk at the yard was pretty nice and I was able to talk him into including both tires and all my other bits and pieces for free
IMG_20150117_145628_372 by nogiba, on Flickr

Thawed out on the way home and unpacked all the junk. Style 31s are fairly rare it seems (not that it really matters but just something cool), it's fitting that they'll live on having a set of wide drag radials wrapped around them
_DSC3570 by nogiba, on Flickr

They look awesomely bad. I cannot wait to put the radials on there, going to look badass.
_DSC3572 by nogiba, on Flickr

In keeping with the tire theme I jumped on local CL for a set of 2 rear tires in 275/35/18 for daily use on the M-Parallel wheels. The current set on there was originally on my buddy Tim's M5, mounted up front, in a 245/40/18 - they were camber worn on the outside so I promptly ruined the insides all last summer.

_DSC3566 by nogiba, on Flickr

_DSC3564 by nogiba, on Flickr

Jesus take the wheel - alignment this spring!

_DSC3565 by nogiba, on Flickr

Comparison for fun:
left - Potenza Pole Position 275/35/18
center - corded 245/40/18
right - junkyard 225/60/15. Yes, I will ruin them first few weeks it's warm

_DSC3571 by nogiba, on Flickr
Old 01-19-2015, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Few parts came in
IMG_20150112_181411_986 by nogiba, on Flickr

Few steps closer to AC
_DSC3560 by nogiba, on Flickr

Off a 2003 525i in Texas. $100 shipped on ebay for a condenser cassette, condenser, AT cooler, and PS cooler. I initially bought all this just for the cassette and condenser but since I now had a provision for mounting the OEM PS cooler in the factory location I got rid of the aftermarket external cooler I had and put this together in no time.
_DSC3562 by nogiba, on Flickr

Time will tell if the condenser is in good shape, we'll see.
_DSC3562 by nogiba, on Flickr

I also wanted to revise my throttle cable. Since I had gone through the trouble of refinishing all the front accessories and intake, it was a shame to keep a cable end that looked like this:

_DSC3543 by nogiba, on Flickr

So he got chucked in the trash and I went back to the same bicycle shop that I originally bought the first bike brake cable from. Nearly 2 years later exactly, to be exact. 5.99 later...

_DSC3544 by nogiba, on Flickr

The round crimped on cable end doesn't fit in the universal end that hooks to the pedal, so chuck it up in the expensive 5 axis mill
_DSC3546 by nogiba, on Flickr

And shave her down with ol' faithful
_DSC3547 by nogiba, on Flickr

Like a glove. Throttle body spring keeps tension on it at all times and now looks as decent as it works. No more frayed ends.
_DSC3549 by nogiba, on Flickr

Since I misplaced the original cable mount it was off to the store for a box of assorted ones. The OD was fine but cable hole needed to be opened up. I later found the original cable end sitting inside one of the shelves of my toolbox
_DSC3551 by nogiba, on Flickr

_DSC3552 by nogiba, on Flickr

_DSC3554 by nogiba, on Flickr

Next up is re-mounting the C5 radiator and filling the system. I need to pick up a barb fitting for the PS line but hopefully will be able to start the motor in the next week or so...
Old 01-23-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

had a great night in terms of beating winter blues/boredom. for the last week I've been trying to figure out how to remount my Corvette radiator now that I've added the OEM BMW condenser assembly back onto the core support in preparation for A/C. originally, in a beer induced haze (in early 2013) I mounted it using pieces of aluminum cut out of the notch I removed from the GTO oil pan (no joke). looked like crap so I brought home some legit clear-anodized aluminum 2x2 angle from work and set about mounting it. Unfortunately the wrist injury combined with a general lack of motivation led me to multiple nights of head scratching and putting off mounting the stupid thing. Tonight I spent some time fitting it where I wanted it and got it all in place.

_DSC3574 by nogiba, on Flickr

_DSC3575 by nogiba, on Flickr

So in all her glory she started right up and idled great. The cooling system revisions (new hose splice/fill point) didn't leak a drop upon startup and everything got up to temp, and stayed there. Needs a tune!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPCRnwSJu90&feature=youtu.be Naturally, no front bumper or headlights, no plates, no insurance, no problem. I needed to do a shakedown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75a7-yd1jBU
Old 01-24-2015, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Driving 90min to go dig around in a junkyard in -13F weather?! Jesus, you're one dedicated sonuvabitch!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

picked up a very low mileage Millermatic 135 MIG last week for a steal, already set up for stainless. I have been wanting to make some changes to the exhaust since the catless setup both smelled bad and still had some drone even with cutouts closed. Spent some time over the last few days adding in the OEM resonator and M5 cats. I am reusing the 3" cutout I had on my setup to keep the shenanigans going when I want them, but the overall goal is for the exhaust to be silent (near OEM) when the cutout is closed.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Put these two together

and you get some of this

still need to do the passenger side cat. Once that's done I can take it down, final weld everything, put it back up, and then make the connections to the rear exits. Getting there!
Old 02-16-2015, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-19-2015, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Man, just finished reading through this thread and I'm quite impressed with your swap.

Kinda kicking myself now that I ended up with an E46 after letting my mechanic talk me out of the BMW v8's because of all their issues. Maybe some day I'll be able to talk my wife into letting my swap this 5.3 that's sitting lonely on an engine stand in my garage into the car anyway.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Enjoying the updates. Keep 'em coming.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks. progress is slow, it's a few degrees below zero every day and my garage heater doesn't keep up that well. Just picked up a big boy 45K BTU ceiling mounted forced air heater, trying to line up installation in the next few weeks. much better than my peashooter 18K BTU infrared radiant heater.

I did finish completely welding the exhaust but am holding off on reinstalling it. (one piece from the cats to the tailpipes...Jesus it's heavy). I had an axle pop out of the diff a few weeks back while on a test drive and plan on replacing the snap rings that hold the axle stubs in.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Teching In

EPIC Build... Honestly, I purchased a '99 540i about two years ago with this a similar build in mind with one exception, twin turbo. But as we all know life has a way of changing our plans and my baby has sat in the driveway for a year now without an engine or trans. I find myself constantly looking at salvage yards and craigslist for 5.3's and making mental notes about with I read and by far the scariest part is the wiring for me.

If only I could get it done in 3 months while working on my house remodel plus a full time job. Cloning myself isn't an option.

There have been some insanely awesome bmw builds on here and I can't help getting a chub every time I see pictures posted.

Great job man. Too bad (for me) you don't live in the Dallas area.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

followed your build from the beginning.Great build,you showed us the good and the bad.Im the process of doing my own swap.Lq9 into a is300 just getting all the parts together,before I pull the motor.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racintck
EPIC Build... Honestly, I purchased a '99 540i about two years ago with this a similar build in mind with one exception, twin turbo. But as we all know life has a way of changing our plans and my baby has sat in the driveway for a year now without an engine or trans. I find myself constantly looking at salvage yards and craigslist for 5.3's and making mental notes about with I read and by far the scariest part is the wiring for me.

If only I could get it done in 3 months while working on my house remodel plus a full time job. Cloning myself isn't an option.

There have been some insanely awesome bmw builds on here and I can't help getting a chub every time I see pictures posted.

Great job man. Too bad (for me) you don't live in the Dallas area.
Everything is for sale for the right price, buy this one that's already done!

Originally Posted by Lsxis300
followed your build from the beginning.Great build,you showed us the good and the bad.Im the process of doing my own swap.Lq9 into a is300 just getting all the parts together,before I pull the motor.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Everything is for sale for the right price, buy this one that's already done!
If only I had that kinda cash laying around.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

so you mounted a c5 radiator. Can you take better pics of your mounting points?
Old 03-22-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Vette rad core has small aluminum angle flanges along the top row of fins that finish it off - I used existing holes in those to mount small angle brackets to the condenser cassette. Underneath some longer "L" brackets mount the bottom row to the plastic kidney trim behind the bumper. You could really make any radiator work as long as it fits and the inlet/outlet is in the right place.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by kacivic
Maybe some day I'll be able to talk my wife into letting my swap this 5.3 that's sitting lonely on an engine stand in my garage into the car anyway.
Its much easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Just saying. lol

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into 2001 BMW 540i