Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleting wires under gbody dash (what did you guys remove?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deleting wires under gbody dash (what did you guys remove?)

Sat inside the car today looking at all the wires that were behind the dash. Trying to figure what I can delete to lighten up the rats nest. What did you guys that did the swap delete? I want to clean stuff up a bit and route things little cleaner/tuck it away when the dash goes back in.

There was a connector with a few wires to it, a ground, and a rubber hose below the brake booster under the hood, the hose ran to something bolted to the steering column. I believe this was the cruise control stuff. I'm not using the cruise control so I removed it completely.

This connector is still hanging around under the column.

This side plugged into the above and was pulled through the fire wall.

Both connectors and all of its wires that went to the old computer can be deleted I'm sure. Unless there is some crap out of these two connectors you guys retained?

I think this was the old diagnostic port- delete

This was behind the original gauge cluster. I'm sure I'll need a few wires from here to hook up to dakota digital gauges. And the rest to be removed.

Something to do with the old speedo I think- delete

Can't think of anything else, rest of the connectors laying around went to under dash lights, trunk release, HVAC, Head light switch/dimmer **** etc.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't remove any of the wires that used to go to the dash pod until you know that your signal lights, dash lights and all the gauges work correctly.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm looking for a digram/pinout online of that connector so I can know what wire is what. Each pin on it is numbered 1-18 with the exception of #7 it's not used.

So far from that connector there is one yellow wire that goes to pin #10 that then goes to the old computer connectors.

So I should be good to remove the rest except the plug that was behind the gauge cluster?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found pin out for cluster connector.

http://www.chevyasylum.com/tech/pinout.html
Old 08-19-2012, 03:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Last pic looked like the vss from back of speedo for computer & cruise.
I deleted the 83' diesel computer last time my whole dash was apart.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the wires with green/blk/red went into the gauge cluster.

Yellow wire went to a box on the right side of the steering column. Not sure what the box is.

The pink/brown/black wire below the yellow wire goes to connector that plugged into the old computer.

I've removed it all so far.

Anyone know what this crap is? Some kind of dielectric grease? Believe it or not this actually looks better then it did when I removed the connector from the firewall. I sat down and scraped out half the crap. I tried q-tips and rubbing alcohol and it did little to no help. It had really hard clumps here and there and so thick and I would think it would really restrict connection.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doing the same build right now... sorry to bump an old thread but this answered alot of questions for me... still trying to figure out the cluster fk that is under the steering column and why the courtesy fuse blows instantly (hard short somewhere)
Old 01-28-2017, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I did my swap, it was most of wiring under the hood that went. I left all the under dash wiring alone as it was mostly chassis wiring, I needed the pw,pl, ac , brake lights,etc... to work. I just cut the plug to the cluster, and wired my Dakota gauges
Old 01-29-2017, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyg
When I did my swap, it was most of wiring under the hood that went. I left all the under dash wiring alone as it was mostly chassis wiring, I needed the pw,pl, ac , brake lights,etc... to work. I just cut the plug to the cluster, and wired my Dakota gauges
i know that there were 2 big harnesses running to the passenger side and that appears to have fed the computer... then there is also the diagnostic connector port which is no longer needed.

i gotta figure out the courtesy section (the key buzzer, a white relay of some sort, something else)

Quick Reply: Deleting wires under gbody dash (what did you guys remove?)