Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swapped 68' Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Looks good with those wheels in the pic.
I still can't wait on the header fitment when you rework the 4th gen headers. Any idea when you may start that project? if not i may just break down n spend the high dollar money they cost n go from there. Or I may have found a used set of ls swap headers for $300 so I may go that route but the coating isn't the greatest on em.
Well as soon as I get the transmission mounted up I will work on the headers, it will probably be a couple weeks but hopefully I will get them done soon, I will post pictures of how I done it so you can use it for a reference.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Looking good, I am jealous of your new garage!

I also used a 98 LS1 and modified the harness myself to save a few bucks. I have just about all of the wiring diagrams for a 98 trans am if you need any. Just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send them over.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 PM
mod
9 Second Club

looks great
trust me the swap is well worth all the work
done this swap last year and I am very happy with it
here is a pic
Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fulton
Looking good, I am jealous of your new garage!

I also used a 98 LS1 and modified the harness myself to save a few bucks. I have just about all of the wiring diagrams for a 98 trans am if you need any. Just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send them over.
That would be awesome, I hunted up a few wiring diagrams but I haven't found a complete wiring diagram yet. I appreciate it.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mod
looks great
trust me the swap is well worth all the work
done this swap last year and I am very happy with it
here is a pic
That is clean as hell! I like those fuel rail covers. Did you make them?
I am trying to take my time and make it look good but I want to get it done so I can take it to lsfest this coming year, i'm trying not to rush it lol
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a cool build. Good luck with the rest of it. I look forward to watching it.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 AM
mod
9 Second Club

ya made the covers to hide the coils
take your time and do it right
you will make to ls fest
Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jake,
You are some kind of craftsman!
The car/engine is coming along great, and you'll have the satisfaction of having done it yourself...with the help of some good friends, of course!
Although my brothers helped me, none of my friends have the knowhow to participate.

Glenn
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

In my opinion black on black is being WAY overplayed anymore. Even black wheels. It was ok four years ago but getting old. Again, just my opinion.

Build is coming along great
Old 01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Glenn, I really wish I had the money to go all out on this car and make it a spotless show car but I can't complain with what I have. Not many 20 year old's can say they have done ls swaps by themselves with just a little help from their friends. I'm anxious to get it done.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
In my opinion black on black is being WAY overplayed anymore. Even black wheels. It was ok four years ago but getting old. Again, just my opinion.

Build is coming along great
Yeah, people over do black nowadays. I've had the idea to do this car in all black since I was 12 years old and now I am finally getting to do it. But I know what you mean. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Camaro
Yeah, people over do black nowadays. I've had the idea to do this car in all black since I was 12 years old and now I am finally getting to do it. But I know what you mean. Thanks!
Good luck with you're build man, keep up the good work.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Camaro
Thanks Glenn, I really wish I had the money to go all out on this car and make it a spotless show car but I can't complain with what I have.
You're doing a great job.
I think that no matter how well the car is finished, that wear & tear start the moment you hit the road.
Also, that protective layer of dirt builds up after the first run!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

With the arrival of my stall converter I started work on getting the transmission in. I will eventually go with a 6 Speed trans but I did what I could afford for the time being. I started with the stock LS1 flex plate, took a Dremel tool and went at it...

After getting the holes elongated I stuck the adapter plate and longer flex plate bolts on that I bought from gmpartsdirect.

Next I had to work on the crossmember a little to get it to work. I basically slotted the holes and cut the secondary plate for bolt access. No support was lost since it was already trimmed factory and I just honed it out, sandblasted it and painted it. Lots of rust.

Fits like a glove.

I bought a Hurst Quarter-Stick from a friend and tried fitting it but the old holes showed from the stock shifter so I fabricated up an adapter plate to hide the holes and keep moisture from protruding up from the holes into the car and rusting. I sealed the old holes off from the bottom.

Next I took the old tank out.

I will go into detail on my fuel system later. I haven't gotten the new tank or my lines ran yet.

But she's getting there. Slowly but surely.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Very nice buddy. Keep at it
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Launching!

I thought the flexplate adapter went on first..? I thought it moved the flexplate out to mate up with the converter....I'm probably wrong , fixing to bolt up a th350 to my Lq9 thats going in my 69 still trying to find out what I need, so you used a stock Ls1 flexplate..?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

I would like to use a Hurst 1/4 stick in mine but from what I read it cant be used with a 4speed transmission.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pairof69s
I thought the flexplate adapter went on first..? I thought it moved the flexplate out to mate up with the converter....I'm probably wrong , fixing to bolt up a th350 to my Lq9 thats going in my 69 still trying to find out what I need, so you used a stock Ls1 flexplate..?
It works as a spacer and as an adapter as well. For the ls1 flex plate it's an adapter, I read something on the lq9 that it might be a spacer. If I put it on first then the starter wouldn't engage. It's basically a pilot for the converter.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
I would like to use a Hurst 1/4 stick in mine but from what I read it cant be used with a 4speed transmission.
Yeah mine was made for a standard valve body TH350, I believe Hurst makes them for the over drive transmissions but don't hold me to it. I know they make them for the reverse manual valve body trannys as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Teching In

I'm really diggin this build.... Completely awesome!!!

Quick Reply: LS1 Swapped 68' Camaro