Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 vette ps pump + 71 camaro gear box, what hose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 vette ps pump + 71 camaro gear box, what hose?

Oka so I have my swap almost done just needing some info I have a 02 vette ps pump and I need threadpattern and demunsions and length to get it onto my 71s grearbox
Any help would be great
Old 05-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

check with Earl's or Russell for example, they offer the correct metric o-ringed adapter fittings that fit the newer style pumps
Old 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

can you give a better description of what your trying to do ? "onto my 71ish gear box"

Are you trying to adapt or make hose and fitting to connect the PS pump to your 71 Steering Box ? or are trying to mount the 02 Vette Pump to your engine ?

I think you want adapter to the box and pump ?.. if so. the high side pump is a O-ring 16mmx1.5mm thread. The Steering box uses Invert Flares.
Pressure fitting is 11/16-18 inv. fl.
Return fitting is 5/8-18 inv. fl.
As stated Earl's and Russell both have Inverted Flare to AN fittings and the O-Ring to AN adapter, which is what I have used with Fittings and Teflon Lined SS Braided hose.

The return is usually a tricky setup. .as the OEM Plastic Resorvior only has a 3/8" Barb inlet. Not many way to adapter to anything other than a PS Rated Hose and Clamp.

BC
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The return line is low pressure, so you can just use a push-lock fitting and hose, then put a hose clamp on it at the reservoir. If you have an old hose from your car, just cut through the rubber hose section to a length that will work with your new pump, then all you'll have to worry about is the pressure hose.

As stated, buy AN adapter fittings for the steering box, and the pump as well. This one from DSE helps a bunch with fitting the hose onto the pump, since adding an adapter into the stock pump fitting will usually cause interference with the pulley.
http://www.detroitspeed.com/products...tlt-fttng.html

-matt
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might encure what happened to me...the power steering pump made so much pressure, the steering of the car was SUPER jumpy...almost scary to drive cause if you twicked, the car was headed for the ditch or on coming traffic.

There is a new adapter made for AN line that has a small orifice to lower the flow/pressure.
I would recommend that if you are going to AN.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

That's possible, but a line orifice is the wrong way to 'fix' it. If you have too much assist, you need to adjust the relief spring in the pump.
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalo...it-p-1684.html

-matt
Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well I would like to go an fittings does anyone have a link to all the fittings I would need
Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monteboy84
That's possible, but a line orifice is the wrong way to 'fix' it. If you have too much assist, you need to adjust the relief spring in the pump.
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalo...it-p-1684.html

-matt
I did end up doing both simultaneously...I figured if the VOLUME was too much as well seeing as the flow rate might be too high, I would also restrict the flow with a small orifice fitting.

But yes, changing the max pressure is also something that needs to be considered.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by olespanky
Well I would like to go an fittings does anyone have a link to all the fittings I would need
I don't think they're a sponsor here so I don't want to link it, but I bought mine from Speedway Motors. They list them on ebay too if you prefer to go that route. I'm sure one of the forum sponsors probably has them too, I just don't know who that would be. You will need to do some research to determine exactly which fittings your steering box will require, but from there it should be pretty easy. For the pressure hose, you can either buy braided teflon pressure hose and fittings to do it yourself, or find a local hydraulic hose builder to put one together for you. The hydraulic hose route would be the cheaper way to go if you can find someone nearby.

-matt
Old 05-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chicago TDP
I did end up doing both simultaneously...I figured if the VOLUME was too much as well seeing as the flow rate might be too high, I would also restrict the flow with a small orifice fitting.

But yes, changing the max pressure is also something that needs to be considered.
That makes sense. Did you use a bypass to return the excess fluid to the reservoir, or just an orifice? I'm concerned that using a restrictor without a bypass will cause too much pressure in the line and create an unsafe condition. Heidt's make this one that dumps the excess into your return line.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hdt-ps-101

-matt

Quick Reply: 02 vette ps pump + 71 camaro gear box, what hose?