Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 - C3 Vette - Power Steering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 - C3 Vette - Power Steering?

I just started my LS1!!!!!

Sounds SWEET! Now, the PS pump, and lines were getting HOT and the Ram seems over sensative, can't seem to get it balanced. Has anyone else did what I did and used the LS1 pump and the stock C3 vette PS control valve and ram?
Is the new pump putting out too much pressure?

Ken
Old 05-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kenshaffer
I just started my LS1!!!!!

Sounds SWEET! Now, the PS pump, and lines were getting HOT and the Ram seems over sensative, can't seem to get it balanced. Has anyone else did what I did and used the LS1 pump and the stock C3 vette PS control valve and ram?
Is the new pump putting out too much pressure?

Ken
Ken,
I've been doing some research on this. I didn't know this, but you have to use return line that is rated for vaccuum. That might be the source of your heat problem?
Bryan
Old 05-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whitelightnin'
Ken,
I've been doing some research on this. I didn't know this, but you have to use return line that is rated for vaccuum. That might be the source of your heat problem?
Bryan

Hmnmm... I don't know. Rated for Vacuum? What does that mean. I used regular hose, but there isn't much pressure on the return side. Street and Performance told me that GM has used the same pump/pressure forever, and that it should get so hot you almost can't touch it. Maybe I am OK? Not sure.

Ken
Old 05-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Default power steering

I have heard a good line to use is automatic transmission line. Regular fuel breaks down from the power steering fluid. I don't know if it will fix your problems but it is worth a try.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Hmnmm... I don't know. Rated for Vacuum? What does that mean. I used regular hose, but there isn't much pressure on the return side. Street and Performance told me that GM has used the same pump/pressure forever, and that it should get so hot you almost can't touch it. Maybe I am OK? Not sure.

Ken
I may be confusing this with something else, but I bought the LS-1 video from S&P, and in it he was talking about this, saying that it was a common problem, that folks put regular hose on the return line. He said that the pump actually draws fluid through the return, creating vacuum, and regular hose can actually collapse, starving the pump for fluid. I'm just getting started on my conversion, so I'm very much in the learning stage, so I may be totally AFU (what else is new) on this. Just thought it might be something worth bringing up. I do know that heat is the enemy in hydralics. If the fluid gets scorched, eventually it's bye bye pump, hyd motor, whatever. Ford P/S pumps are terrible for this.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Launchin It!

You might want to switch to Steeriods rack and pinion. I used the nascar type pump S & P sells and it worked fine. The only issue that came up was weak seals in the control valve.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Budman78
You might want to switch to Steeriods rack and pinion. I used the nascar type pump S & P sells and it worked fine. The only issue that came up was weak seals in the control valve.

I didn't know that this existed. I might have done it, had I known before. Only problem that I have right now other than the heat. Is a leak in the control valve seals.

So, you used a NASCAR Pump from S&P and a stock vette PS system?

Ken
Old 05-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Launchin It!

I used the pump that S & P sells, it is also on most late model 90's vettes. My current set up is with the LS1 pump. I don't know if I buy into the suction theory. It's a pusher pump and the excess fluid is pushed back in the researve. The problem with the stock C-3 control valve is that it is designed for 350 to 500 psi. Newer pumps double that.

How about adding a F-Body upper radiator hose cooler or an aftermarket cooler?
Old 01-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Budman78
I used the pump that S & P sells, it is also on most late model 90's vettes. My current set up is with the LS1 pump. I don't know if I buy into the suction theory. It's a pusher pump and the excess fluid is pushed back in the researve. The problem with the stock C-3 control valve is that it is designed for 350 to 500 psi. Newer pumps double that.

How about adding a F-Body upper radiator hose cooler or an aftermarket cooler?
Well, in the past several months, I changed my mind again, and bought the steeroids rack. It fits with the LS1. It gets rid of a ton of weight, makes way more room for the headers and gets rid of all that stuff moving around and leaking... Now I just need to get a releif valve that is stepped down to the 1200psi that the rack likes and figure out how to route the PS cooler. It is from the donor firebird. Anybody know how those coolers mount? Do they just hang on the radiator hose? DOes it go between the drivers side of the rad and the block next to the intake?

Ken
Old 01-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The power steering cooler just mounts to the hose. On mine, I am not using the cooler( as I have no power steering), but I am using a stock upper hose from a camaro. Just go to the local parts store and pick up the 2 piece upper hose for the cooler.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
The power steering cooler just mounts to the hose. On mine, I am not using the cooler( as I have no power steering), but I am using a stock upper hose from a camaro. Just go to the local parts store and pick up the 2 piece upper hose for the cooler.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I have the two hoses, came with the engine. So, it hangs in between the Radiator/Fans and the engine? The hoses go from the Driver's side of the Radiator to next to the intake?

Ken
Old 01-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and Yes
Old 01-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
Yes and Yes
Thanks and Thanks.

I appreciate the help.

Ken
Old 01-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Launchin It!

Thanks and Thanks.

I appreciate the help.

Ken
Ken, can you email me pictures of your Steeriods setup. I'm going to build mine and I need as many pictures as possible to go by.
budman78@sbcglobal.net.

Quick Reply: LS1 - C3 Vette - Power Steering?