Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fresh ls1 swap, shortly lived, ends in disaster

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hard to see, but I did have some heat shields between the headers and filter/regulator.

I've already got the go ahead from the wife to twin turbo this time around.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just rubber lines? Does the Ls1 have the same high pressure pump design as the later model Ls engines?

My Ly6 is like 54 psi of pressure. A lot of the fuel line that I see for sale at most auto parts stores is not recommended for that pressure...
Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it EFI hose? And what type of hose clamps? EFI hose clamps or worm gear style hose clamps?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
That's likely the factory fuel filter mount. My regulator is in the same spot in my 300zx. Heat hasn't been an issue, but I put heat wrap over the lines and my headers are wrapped as well.

Always carry a fire extinguisher, especially in something you built in a shed. Hopefully the car will return better than it was.
Good point on the fire extinguisher, but I don't really see how it matters where the car was built. I build all of my cars under a carport, most days I'd pray for a shed.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by anarchy99
Good point on the fire extinguisher, but I don't really see how it matters where the car was built. I build all of my cars under a carport, most days I'd pray for a shed.
dang man down here in FL you have to have a garage or youll sweat all the weight off your bones lol
Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadRabbit
Just rubber lines? Does the Ls1 have the same high pressure pump design as the later model Ls engines?

My Ly6 is like 54 psi of pressure. A lot of the fuel line that I see for sale at most auto parts stores is not recommended for that pressure...
All LS engines run 58psi.

"Fuel injection hose" is rated for higher pressure (200psi?) than the regular fuel hose.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was actual fuel injection hose with the screw and plate clamps, not worm gear. I think they just had some age on them and couldn't take it anymore.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 249 Likes on 190 Posts

Plenty of the GM Quick Disconnect lines at the Junk Yard..that is what I have adapted to use on my setup.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Plenty of the GM Quick Disconnect lines at the Junk Yard..that is what I have adapted to use on my setup.
I have built 20+ cars on rubber hose, clamps and zip ties. Never a failure. The key is in the planning-and testing. Never mount a regulator off a rail with a brass fitting. Wrap any line that will see even mild heat. Use push lock fitting AND clamps (although a good push lock will never leak, and never come apart. I ALWAYS test the lines at max pressure and check for leaks any time I service the car. (take the regulator to full load. or clamp the line)

Quick Reply: fresh ls1 swap, shortly lived, ends in disaster