Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic Auto Air warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Classic Auto Air warning

After finishing my LS1/Chevelle swap, I wanted to put AC in. I did a lot of research and decided on the Classic Auto Air kit with the LS1 mount. The following is just a warning of my experience:

I purchased a complete Classic Auto Air kit for my 67 Malibu and have had nothing but problems with the install. So far, the HVAC controls interfere with the evaporator, the evaporator interferes with the defroster ducts and tubing, the firewall plate doesn't line up well at all, the condenser/drier unit doesn't mount right, one of the tubes doesn't fit, and they forgot another tube. I have drilled several holes in my firewall to get the evaporator to mount right and it just doesn't. I have followed the directions exactly. Currently I have a AC kit that doesn't fit and several ugly new holes in my firewall. I'm no pro mechanic, but I have done an LS1 swap, brakes, suspension, and everything else on the car myself.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed. I read good reviews and this kit is a mess. I have contacted them dozens of times along the way and while they were very polite and sent me out the missing tube, they have not been able to offer any advice to solve my problems. After wasting numerous days trying to fix the problems, I asked if they would take the kit back. They refuse to return the kit even though the only part of the kit that fits is a custom compressor mount for an LS1 that another company makes. I have attempted to work with them, but when I ask them to stand behind their product and return my money if further alterations don't work, they refuse. Maybe I got a lemon of a kit, but their refusal to stand behind their product is terrible. I've done a ton of work on this car and haven't had any bad experiences like this and I've never bad mouthed a company. I see that they are a sponsor here and I welcome their reply. I will provide copies of dozens of emails if they would like to see them.

I've requested contact info for a manager but they avoid my emails. Hopefully they come through for me, but it does not look good.

Just a warning to those in the market. I highly recommend anyone but Classic Auto Air!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Pay w/ a card?? Shut their *** down w/ a card dispute..
Old 05-02-2014, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Aftermarket A/C install was the worst thing I've ever done to my car in terms of getting it done (and I have a 20+ page build thread full of fail). Low-quality garbage that barely fits and looks cheap as hell. But at least it cools.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Silly question, but did anyone verify with you that the kit was packed correctly? Do you have a parts list with component part #'s? I have been the auto parts business for 40 years, this is a common problem if a proven kit does not work. Unfortunately the human element is most often to blame.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Damn, sorry to hear it. I bought their universal system for my 72 442. It was so easy to install, I'm surprised they don't offer a kit for the Olds. Works great too.
Was this a cable operated or electric kit?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I was told classic auto air cools better than vintage air
Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Haha, I prefer Vintage air to classic auto air. Ive installed a few classic kits and a few vintage kits, personally I like the quality of the vintage kits better. None of it is real high end stuff if you ask me. Accessory brackets never fit quite right, but they are usually pretty close. The box is always what I have issues with. And im also not a fan of the classic air controller.

I think all the kits have some issues. I dunno if its poor tooling on their end in making exact copies of good fitting units, or the fact the cars can actually vary quite a bit in assembly. Im surprised though that classic hasnt offered to send you a replacement kit and take yours back with the possibility that yours is a poorly built unit. The things I cant stand about any of the kits is a capilary tube evap temp sensor that attached to the dash directly for a/c temp control, I hate those stupid things.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you want a good A/C system you need to get a factory box. The aftermarket only do a recirc and have no fresh air provisions. Yes they will blow cold air but that is about it and not very good. I have an older Vintage Air system that I bought years ago that is cable driven. It is loud because he fan in under the dash. That is only a portion of what you will not care for with the aftermarket stuff. I am going to sell my unit and put in a factory box with a newer evaporator, condenser, and compressor. Take a look at the factory evaporator and compare it to an aftermarket system that will be all you need to know.......
Old 05-08-2014, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Not having a fresh air system does kinda suck, BUT as far as cooling recirc cools better than fresh air anyway. If its 90 deg outside its easier for a system to cool off air thats cooler that 90 deg, which is what will be inside the car. Lowest A/C vent temps are achieved on low speed with recirc on cooling the already cooler air in the car
Old 05-08-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by autocomman
Not having a fresh air system does kinda suck, BUT as far as cooling recirc cools better than fresh air anyway. If its 90 deg outside its easier for a system to cool off air thats cooler that 90 deg, which is what will be inside the car. Lowest A/C vent temps are achieved on low speed with recirc on cooling the already cooler air in the car
Recirc is Max air on a factory system, so it IS cooling the same inside air. My biggest pet peeve of aftermarket A/C, after the no fresh air part, is the no blend door for hot and cool. with no blend door they have to put the heater core and evaporator right next to each other and have the fan blow through both of them. This causes fogging problems when you run the A/C and then switch to heat, the moisture in the evaporator fogs up the windows. True, I don't often go from air to heat in the same day, but there are times when I do, such as late summer or fall when it gets hot during the day but then cools off a lot at night, it's just annoying. Also going the other way sucks, if you run the heat and then switch to A/C, you have to cool off the heater core before you start getting cold air, and if your heater shut off valve leaks any hot coolant past it, you loose cold air temps due to that too. I understand it's done this way for packaging purposes, and there's no way a factory air system will fit many older cars, my '33 included, but when I have a car that came with factory air, or one that could have, I stick to the factory stuff.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

I tried to install this on my 70 Monte with an LS3. I gave up on installing it as it wasn't an easy install for a first timer. I ended up not using it and bought a Vintage Air unit instead.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

LS1Nova. I love your truck build. My only wish is that you didn't sell it. Where do you think I got the idea from to do the A/C the way I am going to do it? My plan is to not cut the box but get a newer evaporator that will fit the old box. In fact I have found one but have not gotten it yet. The rest is waiting. My control panel is from a 76 nova that has the standard 2 lever GM style and vacuum to control it. I found a box out of the same year. I am planning a 3rd gen evaporator that will fit in it.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Recirc is Max air on a factory system, so it IS cooling the same inside air. My biggest pet peeve of aftermarket A/C, after the no fresh air part, is the no blend door for hot and cool. with no blend door they have to put the heater core and evaporator right next to each other and have the fan blow through both of them. This causes fogging problems when you run the A/C and then switch to heat, the moisture in the evaporator fogs up the windows. True, I don't often go from air to heat in the same day, but there are times when I do, such as late summer or fall when it gets hot during the day but then cools off a lot at night, it's just annoying. Also going the other way sucks, if you run the heat and then switch to A/C, you have to cool off the heater core before you start getting cold air, and if your heater shut off valve leaks any hot coolant past it, you loose cold air temps due to that too. I understand it's done this way for packaging purposes, and there's no way a factory air system will fit many older cars, my '33 included, but when I have a car that came with factory air, or one that could have, I stick to the factory stuff.
Believe me I know, Ive done enough on factory air system and aftermarket to know the drawbacks. But you wouldnt have A/C persay on your 33 without it, well you could adapt a factory system but with much trouble. The fact that you can have the A/C is enough for me. But the drawbacks are pretty damn annoying, no question there. Trying to figure out what box to buy for moms Fiat X1/9 when I do the restore on that, a car that had dealer installed A/C with parts being unobtanium, especially if I want to keep the old dash in it well my only choice is aftermarket. But im not impressed with the control or implementation of anything. Id love keep it fresh air system, I have no clue how im gonna do that. Or if i will retain the original heater box and add the A/C only unit, space is not nearly that of an american car...

Quick Reply: Classic Auto Air warning