Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Got a bit of a cluster f**k happening with the wheels. I took them to the anodizer and we agreed on the coating to use, life was good. Today I get a call letting me know that they had a total fail. It turns out that my "as cast" wheels were clear coated on the front face, so naturally the anodizing didn't work. I double checked the website and nowhere does it say "clear coated." I get the fact as to why they clear a bare aluminum wheel, but it sure would have been nice to know that in advance so I could proceed accordingly. Had I known they were clear coated, I just would get them blasted and move on. Ugh...

A bunch of little parts showed up including the Earl's Solo Bleeders for both of the front calipers (not pictured) and the clutch bleeder:

Fits properly into the AN -3 to 3/8" x 24 concave flare fitting that came with the clutch bleeder kit. These are really slick. Crack the bleeder, step in the pedal, fluid comes out, but as soon as you release the pedal, the built in spring seats the plunger against the cone so air can't get back in. These will make life much easier when the time comes to bleed the clutch and the brakes.

The fitting for the slave cylinder is somewhere in UPS hell, but with some luck will show up on Monday.

Andrew
Would you mind posting up the part numbers for the correct slave fitting and for the solo bleeder? If we could find the part number for the an-3 to 3/8x24 adapter we could build this without having to buy a kit.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
Would you mind posting up the part numbers for the correct slave fitting and for the solo bleeder? If we could find the part number for the an-3 to 3/8x24 adapter we could build this without having to buy a kit.
Sure. The fitting that goes into the slave is this:

http://www.technafitstore.com/305-03...305-03-35s.htm

They are inexpensive but be ready to bend over for shipping. Summit sells them as well, but they want 21 dollars. I ordered a few of these so PM me if you want one.

The other side is from Earl's. I'll get the exact PN for you. They will work with any 3/8 x 24 bleeder fitting or with the Earl's Solo Bleeders.

https://holley.com/products/plumbing...arts/280021ERL

Andrew
Old 03-17-2015, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Andrew. Drove the chevelle and the c/v joint driveshaft has resolved the drivetrain angle issues. Thanks for steering me in the right direction....

Ken
Old 03-17-2015, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Andrew. Drove the chevelle and the c/v joint driveshaft has resolved the drivetrain angle issues. Thanks for steering me in the right direction....

Ken
Ken,

Thanks for the update. I am so happy that the CV driveshaft worked for you. There is nothing worse than having a car with a modern drivetrain only to have it shake going down the highway.

Come up to Oshkosh and give me a ride and check out the Cougar...

Andrew
Old 03-18-2015, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure. The fitting that goes into the slave is this:

http://www.technafitstore.com/305-03...305-03-35s.htm

They are inexpensive but be ready to bend over for shipping. Summit sells them as well, but they want 21 dollars. I ordered a few of these so PM me if you want one.

The other side is from Earl's. I'll get the exact PN for you. They will work with any 3/8 x 24 bleeder fitting or with the Earl's Solo Bleeders.

https://holley.com/products/plumbing...arts/280021ERL

Andrew
Thanks for posting this, I see you can buy the slave fitting for like $13 shipped on ebay. The picture on the tick performance site of their speed bleeder line looks like it has the correct fitting now, although one of the reviews said he had a leak due to the copper washer. I'm starting from scratch on the trans/clutch/hydraulics so it has taken me a little bit to figure it all out. Again, thanks for your help and sorry for messing your thread. Love the cougar build, that intake and throttle bodies is sick.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for posting this, I see you can buy the slave fitting for like $13 shipped on ebay. The picture on the tick performance site of their speed bleeder line looks like it has the correct fitting now, although one of the reviews said he had a leak due to the copper washer. I'm starting from scratch on the trans/clutch/hydraulics so it has taken me a little bit to figure it all out. Again, thanks for your help and sorry for messing your thread. Love the cougar build, that intake and throttle bodies is sick.
Can you post the eBay link? I didn't see anyone on eBay selling the right fitting.

Andrew
Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope this link works, I guess it's $15. Not bad if it's the correct fitting.

AEROQUIP FBM2966 3AN X 10MM X 1.5 SOLD EACH
Old 03-18-2015, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hope this link works, I guess it's $15. Not bad if it's the correct fitting.

AEROQUIP FBM2966 3AN X 10MM X 1.5 SOLD EACH
That's the right kind. I just wanted to make sure. I would hate for you to spend the money to find that it doesn't work!

Andrew
Old 03-18-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What I don't get is why is it so hard for Speedway to give you the right fitting?
Old 03-20-2015, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Aston Tibs
What I don't get is why is it so hard for Speedway to give you the right fitting?
It's either ignorance or incompetence.

Andrew
Old 03-23-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

The weather was nice enough yesterday to get a little work done. Since I am going with EFI, I got an EFI tank from Tanks Inc. These are made in Taiwan but the quality seems to be pretty good. I got mine with the Walbro 255l/hour pump. There are some baffles built into the tank and the pump sits inside it.

After jacking the car up, I found a vintage Holley Red pump under there. It looks like the original fuel pick up was modified with a 1/2" line. They also used 1/2" copper line and ran it all the way to the front of the car. I guess they figured that Boss 302 was making 600HP...LOL

It took a while to scrape the whatever that stuff is in order to get to the bolts holding the tank in place. After working on GM cars, it was pretty nice to remove the tank through the trunk. The Ford tanks even have a drain...smart.

And out it came. It's pretty amazing how clean this car is. Aside from a little surface rust here and there, this car is totally solid.

Now to figure out how to run the lines, mount the filter/regulator, etc...

Andrew
Old 03-23-2015, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just sold the radiator that was in this Cougar for $1200 + shipping...Crazy!

Andrew
Old 03-23-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default fuel pump isolator

is that a kitchen sponge they used for an isolator for the fuel pump?....
Old 03-23-2015, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sold the radiator that was in this Cougar for $1200 + shipping...Crazy!

Andrew
What.....the.....fvck
Old 03-23-2015, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 79LS1FOX
is that a kitchen sponge they used for an isolator for the fuel pump?....
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice...LOL

Andrew
Old 03-23-2015, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zTimbo
What.....the.....fvck
1970 Boss 302 or 428CJ radiator with the right date code for someone's car...$$$

Andrew
Old 03-24-2015, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got another goodie in the mail today. The new Holley digital dash will replace all of the gauges. I saw no reason to make the SW gauges work when the engine already has every sensor imaginable installed and being monitored by the Dominator ECU.

Also picked up the wheels from the anodizer. Bling...bling...

Too bad the weather is getting cold again...sigh

Andrew
Old 03-25-2015, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That digital dash is awesome, I'm trying to come up with something similar for a gm PCM.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

So maybe I missed it, but what did you end up doing on the wheels? I remember you posted about the clear coat on the rear wheels messing up the initial anodizing attempt.

Are both wheels anodized black? Is the difference in shading just due to the picture/flash effects, or is it due to the different textures ("as cast" vs however the spokes were finished on the fronts)?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
So maybe I missed it, but what did you end up doing on the wheels? I remember you posted about the clear coat on the rear wheels messing up the initial anodizing attempt.

Are both wheels anodized black? Is the difference in shading just due to the picture/flash effects, or is it due to the different textures ("as cast" vs however the spokes were finished on the fronts)?
Both the fronts and the rears got anodized at the same time. The front spokes are actually pretty close to the color of the rear wheels. The lip of the front wheels is brighter because the lip was polished while the spokes were media blasted. Overall, the variation in the color has a lot to do with the fact that these are cast wheels of an unknown allow (Ching Chong wheels). I am pretty stocked about the color because the gray would look terrible with the rust/baby **** brown paint color of the car.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)