Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by alocker
Those Mini Cooper guys are pretty funny.

Nice job on the flare fittings. I went on Baer's site to read the directions and I swore there was a specific warning about the brass fittings falling out. I could not find it on the website PDF so I dug my instructions out and it was on there. I knew I wasn't crazy. Either way the Remaster is a very nice piece and mine is working fantastic.
Oh yeah, I read the warnings and I thought we had it covered, which is why I said "User Error!" Totally my fault....

Before LS Fest I plan on doing a quick gravity bleed. I can't jack up the car at the house, but I can reach all the bleeders pretty easily without taking the wheels off.

Andrew
Old 08-20-2016, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am getting some little projects done before heading off to the Holley LSFest in a few weeks. As you might recall, i installed LED bulbs in the rear and that has made for a huge improvement. I consider good exterior lighting a safety feature and everyone should think about doing the same. There are numerous venders that offer LED bulbs, but I have always used the "Plasma" bulbs that are sold through West Coast Classic Cougar and I really like them. To match the rear LEDs I ordered some amber ones for the front turn signals.

One problem when upgrading to LED lighting is that it tends to render the dash indicator lights sort of inoperable. The indicators light up, but they no longer flash. On the Mustangs and Cougars, this function is handled by the K7 relay that is located under the dash. You can see it here with the big orange and brown wires connected to it.

To fix this, WCCC offers a solid state relay that is a direct replacement for the K7 relay. It can be used with incandescent or LED bulbs and is a direct, Plug-N-Play replacement.

The little potentiometer is there to adjust the relay sensitivity, which when used with LED bulbs, must be turned up a little. Now my dash turn signal indicators work as they should!

Here is a short video showing the difference between the LED and the incandescent turn signals. Driver's side is LED, passenger side is incandescent. I am not sure that there is a obvious difference in brightness, but the LED lights definitely have a crisp flashing action, while the incandescent bulbs sort of slowly glow on and off...

If you like my YouTube videos, please subscribe to my channel. Thanks!

Andrew
Old 08-20-2016, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Definitely a sharper flashing action, and it is a little brighter too!!!!!
Old 08-20-2016, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by franktf
Definitely a sharper flashing action, and it is a little brighter too!!!!!
Thanks Frank. I like it better and anything to improve visibility to others is a good thing. I've lived in a lot of places but the drivers here in Tuscaloosa are by far the worst. I've never had so many people make reckless left turns right in front of me ever before. It's nuts!

Andrew
Old 09-03-2016, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

So recently a buddy of mine presented me with a challenge. He has a street car that uses a Dominator ECU and he is using the C6 fan controller, just like I am. However, his car has A/C and he wanted to have the fan turn on at a predefined duty cycle whenever the A/C kicks on. I also know that some of you have the desire to be able to toggle the fan to full speed while at the track, and with the configuration that I previously posted, this is not possible. There may be other ways to do this, but this is what I came up with and it seems to work very well. I am testing it with a manual trigger through a virtual switch on my Holley 7" dash, but any switch will work, including a A/C compressor trigger.

First you need to create an Input and assign it to a pin (hopefully y'all know how to do that already). In my case I created a 20v sensor, but I see no reason why creating a 5v sensor wouldn't work either...

Then you have to configure the sensor. I chose the Custom 20v from the dropdown menu and gave the sensor a minimum value of 0 and a max of 1. Essentially what I am doing is creating a binary switch. The reason for doing this is that simple 12+ or Ground triggers are not selectable in the PWM table, but custom sensors are!

Here is the bottom of the screen...On the bottom scale, half the values are given a value of zero and the rest ramps up from 10-20v. Then I configure voltage values of zero to be zero and voltage values above 10v to have a value of 1.

Now we can move to the PWM output screen and configure it. The Y-axis remains CTS but instead of having MPH on the X-axis, as I used to have, now I select the new A/C sensor that I created. The resulting table looks like this:

This essentially splits the PWM table into to different conditions and they function independently, based on whether the trigger we created is ON (value 1) or OFF (value 0)...This set-up should work just fine for anyone that wants to turn their fan on at the drag strip...but it creates a different situation if you want the fan on when the A/C is on. With this configuration, even at highway speeds, the fan will be running at 50% (or whatever we assign to the cell of value 1 on the X-axis), which isn't really needed or desirable. In order to fix this, I have created conditional sensor triggers that will activate the PWM table.

I have set MPH as a trigger and set it to activate the table at speeds below 30 mph, and I also set the table to activate when temperatures are above 200 degrees. So in my friends case, with the A/C ON the fan will operate at 50% while at speeds below 30mph. Above that speed the fan is OFF, even when the A/C ON, however, if the CTS goes above 200 degrees, the table PWM table is activated again. Also keep in mind that the whole left side of the PWM table can have different values in all the cells. So you can have a minimum of 50%, but if CTS starts climbing, higher fan speeds can be commended.

With the A/C OFF, again, the right side of the PWM table is activated below 30 mph (this of course can be changed) or when the CTS goes above 200 degrees (this too can be changed).

This configuration should work for different set-ups and scenarios but the trigger values will have to be tuned to your particular combinations. This is due to variance in fans, hoods, thermostats, etc....

Any and all comments are welcome...

Andrew
Old 09-03-2016, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Any and all comments are welcome...

Andrew
I'm confused now......

How's that for a comment..... I am not looking forward to setting **** up on mine at all.....
Old 09-03-2016, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm confused now......

How's that for a comment..... I am not looking forward to setting **** up on mine at all.....
You can do it Frank! I can will hold your hand :-)

With the HP you may not even have enough I/Os to do stuff like this and for most people, it's just not necessary....but there is nothing hard about it.

Andrew
Old 09-03-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can do it Frank! I can will hold your hand :-)

With the HP you may not even have enough I/Os to do stuff like this and for most people, it's just not necessary....but there is nothing hard about it.

Andrew
So far it looks like I am only using 1 output for the BAP and 1 input for the ethanol sensor, but we shall see.....
Old 09-07-2016, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Getting ready to head out to the Holley LSFest tomorrow. This is an annual event that takes place in Bowling Green, KY at Beech Bend and at the Corvette museum road course. The event welcomes any vehicle that has a LS or the new LT engine so it is always to see a great variety of makes and models, both domestic and imports. I am only signed up for drag racing, but there are a ton of other events that people can participate in and watch.

To get ready, I re-installed my fire extinguisher. It isn't really a requirement for drag racing, but it's always good to have it handy, even on the street. I really like this Drake Automotive mount. Clean, simple, and totally functional.

My next update will be after LSFest, hopefully with some videos!

Andrew
Old 09-07-2016, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a sweet mount. Have fun in Kentooky!
Old 09-07-2016, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by alocker
That's a sweet mount. Have fun in Kentooky!
It's Kintuuuuky...I used to live in Bowling Green for a while and I always loved that town. I look forward to visiting every LSFest...

Andrew
Old 09-22-2016, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Someone made a post recently on the Pontiac forum lamenting the lack of young people at car shows and it inspired me to write this...

http://www.timelessmuscle.com/editor...-and-greasers/

Andrew
Old 09-22-2016, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts

Awesome read Andrew. I totally agree with all you wrote. In Chattanooga Corky Coker puts on a huge cruise in every spring and I love watching the people and cars that gather the attention. It's not the first gen Camaro that only sees light two or three times a year but it's the rat rods and wagons and all the obscure **** with blowers and twin turbos hanging off of it that folks here drool over. I'm a welder/fabricator(boilermaker) and I can make beautiful welds on most anything in front of me but I awe at the can do spirit of the young guys cobbling together some crazy turbo setup or constructing a rat rod that one must have a tetanus shot to ride in. There welds may by my standards look like hammered **** but they've got me beat by a long shot because they're doing it and making it work. Cool thing is they get better everytime they do it and they are keeping hot rodding alive and vibrant.

Last edited by showdog75; 09-22-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Andrew
Old 09-30-2016, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

Great job!!! Glad to see you got your wife in thread too
Old 10-12-2016, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/122593-1967-Cougar

Andrew
Old 10-12-2016, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

??????
Old 10-12-2016, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

??????
Time to move on. Lol

Andrew
Old 10-13-2016, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Submit it to BAT.

Tipsy
Old 10-13-2016, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Submit it to BAT.

Tipsy
Do you have experience with them?

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)