Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 464 Likes on 350 Posts

Dang - well, as we originally thought, the devil is in the programming.

Edit --- thinking on this some more, it's possible that some changes in your alignment settings may allow the unit to interface more effectively with your car's suspension/steering geometry.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 11-12-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Well, I could tell you, but then...you know...

Andrew
Haha, That's usually my line and it doesn't help when I know people everywhere.
Apparently I said it enough a friend bought me one of these...

Interesting result on the power steering with the unit off. That isn't what I expected.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

I won't bore everyone with the details, but I have it working now so the level of assist varies based on speed. With the limited driving that I did today (it was raining very hard) it seems a lot better! Once I get more miles on it, I will post more driving impressions.

Andrew
Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,109 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Glad you have it working better! I think it will do a great job once you get the programming sliced and diced!
BTW, I gotta get one on of those T-shirts.... I wonder if Roadkill has them...
Checked, nope...

Last edited by G Atsma; 11-12-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes!!!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Yes!!!
I am mildly optimistic with my results today. To address your point about alignment, I think I have a pretty good alignment already. It might need a little negative camber, but that shouldn't change on center feel.
Right now it is:

0 camber
.25* toe in
5* of caster

The other issue that I need to overcome is powering up the steering ECU. What I didn't tell you is that I have two Toyota ECUs. One is from a Scion Xd, that is the ECU I was using at first. The one that I installed today is from a non-ABS Toyota Yaris. This is the only ECU in the Toyota lineup that does not get its speed information via the CAN. Instead, it takes a conventional, square wave speedometer signal, directly into the ECU. However...

The Scion ECU powers up as soon as power is applied to the #5 pin. The Yaris ECU doesn't power up until it has power on the #5 pin AND sees a speedo pulse on the #6 pin. So as of right now, The EPAS doesn't kick on until I start moving, then after that, it stays ON. It really isn't a big deal, but I have some ideas as to how I can make the Yaris kick on as soon as the ECU is powered up. Maybe y'all can have some ideas as well.

I have the ability to create a PWM+ output on the Dominator. I can configure this output to be on a timer. The PWM+ signal is very similar to a square wave pulse and the Toyota ECU doesn't seem that picky. I was thinking of running the PWM+ output to the same #6 pin on the Yaris ECU and have it pulse for 5 second as soon as the ECU powers up. I think it might work...

Thoughts?

Andrew

Old 11-12-2018, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I wasn’t thinking about it in terms of good (or bad) alignment Andrew - rather, alignment specs that might help geometry compensate for steering unit behaviors that were less than desirable. More caster to enhance self centering for example.

But with your success today I think we’re past that. And yes - some negative camber would likely help the car with front cornering force. As I recall those Ford front suspensions didn’t have the most helpful camber curves going positive under compression. I’d throw a degree or two of negative camber in there if you can.

Your idea on power up sounds reasonable to me. Show my ignorance - why the power up from the dominator - can’t you have hot from ignition on fire up the steering ecu?
Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by G Atsma
BTW, I gotta get one on of those T-shirts.... I wonder if Roadkill has them...
The shirt was picked up in DC probably ten or more years ago. I would wear it when I played music in bars just for a gag. I'm sure there is some online minimal inventory "we only print product as it's ordered" shirt retailer that can make one.

Andrew, does the PCM need to know how fast it's actually moving or does it just need to know that it's moving? I guess the question depends on is the assist variable with speed or is that a possibility? Initially you mentioned something that led me to believe it was.

Your current plan of sending a PWM trigger to the power steering ECU sounds solid to me and I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
...... Show my ignorance - why the power up from the dominator - can’t you have hot from ignition on fire up the steering ecu?
Originally Posted by gofastwclass

Andrew, does the PCM need to know how fast it's actually moving or does it just need to know that it's moving? I guess the question depends on is the assist variable with speed or is that a possibility? Initially you mentioned something that led me to believe it was.

Your current plan of sending a PWM trigger to the power steering ECU sounds solid to me and I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work.
I will try to untangle a couple of issues that are being lumped together. The very first Toyota ECU that I installed was the regular Prius ECU. This is the pinout diagram:

Note, it only take 3 wires to hook up: (2) 10 gauge power and ground and (1) 12+v signal wire to trigger the internal relay that powers it up. This trigger wire can come directly from the car ignition system or, as I have chosen to do, comes from the Dominator ECU (I did this for simplicity reasons). Either way the unit comes alive as soon as the ignition key is ON. Also note, that the Prius ECU has no VSS input. The sped information is communicated via the Toyota CAN protocol (which obviously I can not emulate). This unit, once powered up, operates in "failsafe" mode, which from my driving experience was not optimal.

The second Toyota ECU that I have is from a 2007 non-ABS Yaris. This is the pinout diagram for it:

Note that the connectors are all the same. It needs the two big power and grounds and the same 12+v signal wire, on the exact same pins. However, this ECU also has a pin for a VSS signal. This particular ECU does NOT power up when the 12+v signal wire is triggered. It powers up only after seeing a waveform on pin 5. After it sees the waveform it will stay on until the ignition is turned off, regardless of whether the vehicle is moving or not.

The VSS waveform does impact the level of assist. I wish I knew the exact logic that is built into the Yaris ECU, but sadly, I do not. All I have to work with is some data that was generated by another experimenter and this is what he found using a generic square wave generator on his bench:

"At 5 pulses per second it has full assist, at around 45 PPS it changes to a lower assist and mildly dampens rapid movments, at around 75 PPS it changes to a very mild assist and greatly dampens rapid movements. The damping goes away of you jerk the wheel as in an emergency lane change."

My buddy Paul was kind enough to create the attached spreadsheet to calculate pulses per second into the equivalent pulses per mile (PPM) given whatever MPH I choose. So by manipulating the PPM signal that I program the Dominator to output, I can change the trigger point of the middle level of assist. I obviously can't change the trigger points individually, because that it programmed into the logic of the Yaris ECU, but I can shift everything to a lower or faster speed. That's my only "tuning" option.

I hope this makes sense and I appreciate all the input.

Andrew
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
PPM Calculator.xlsx (41.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 11-14-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Clarity. Thx Andrew.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

I figured as much and makes perfect sense. So the main differences between the ECU units is programming related which we can't easily hack. The good point is the non CAN based ecu is speed sensitive if you can supply the proper pulses at the appropriate time. Interesting.

Why didn't the schematics show up? There were a few previous points where you mentioned an image or two that didn't appear for me - but I see most of them plus the spreadsheet link. Are you hosting in different methods?
Old 11-14-2018, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why didn't the schematics show up? There were a few previous points where you mentioned an image or two that didn't appear for me - but I see most of them plus the spreadsheet link. Are you hosting in different methods?
How about now?

Andrew
Old 11-14-2018, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,109 Likes on 2,424 Posts

How about now?

Andrew
It's all there...
Old 11-14-2018, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Another neat project!
I've had good success with rattle can painting by heating part in the oven @ 165F or 180F. In my mind, the finish is harder when baked... Kind of like poor man's powder coating. But I haven't tested this formally. And an item can be put in to service after an hour or so in the oven. Fumes don't remain long. Don't tell my wife her oven was used in this way.

Interesting info on tuning the EPS. Look forward to more updates.

I used to drive a 1995 500E Mercedes, which on which I modified the suspension a bit (lowered it, tastefully). This was one of the predecessor to the AMG / M type super car sport sedans of today. It had something like 12 or 14 degrees of positive caster, which increased the self-centering affect and effort at speed. It used a mcpherson strut front suspension design and I realize different geometries and architectures behave differently. This also was one of the last E-class (if not last) with a steering gearbox, not rack. Still, interesting data point, I think.

Doug
Old 11-14-2018, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

How about now?

Andrew
Yep, all fixed. Thanks Andrew. Now I can nerd out with the rest of the class.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DW SD
Another neat project!
I've had good success with rattle can painting by heating part in the oven @ 165F or 180F. In my mind, the finish is harder when baked... Kind of like poor man's powder coating. But I haven't tested this formally. And an item can be put in to service after an hour or so in the oven. Fumes don't remain long. Don't tell my wife her oven was used in this way.

Interesting info on tuning the EPS. Look forward to more updates.

I used to drive a 1995 500E Mercedes, which on which I modified the suspension a bit (lowered it, tastefully). This was one of the predecessor to the AMG / M type super car sport sedans of today. It had something like 12 or 14 degrees of positive caster, which increased the self-centering affect and effort at speed. It used a mcpherson strut front suspension design and I realize different geometries and architectures behave differently. This also was one of the last E-class (if not last) with a steering gearbox, not rack. Still, interesting data point, I think.

Doug
Doug,

Good to see you are still around! Great call on baking the painted parts. Maybe next time I will use my smoker...LOL

As for alignment, I am lucky to get the 5 degrees that my suspension currently has. As I recall, the stock alignment specs call for zero caster! No dought this was done for easier steering effort at the expense of high speed stability.

Andrew

Old 11-16-2018, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Alright. Awesome news. I wanted to temporarily try the PWM+ trigger to turn on the steering ECU. I am able to configure the output on the Dominator all in software. So I simply reprogrammed the original speedometer output and created the PWM+ output and assigned it to the same pin as the speedometer output (the speedometer output had to be virtually unpinned from that location). Anyway...

I set the frequency to 1000Hz and a duty cycle of 50%, so half the pulse is on and half the pulse is off, very much like a speedometer signal. Turned the ignition off, turned the ignition back on, and immediately had power assist. The diodes will be here tomorrow so I will add the second wire to the steering ECU speedometer input. The result should be having immediate PS as soon as the ignition is turned on and there after, it will receive the speedometer signal and operate by changing the level of assist based on speed.

Andrew
Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Chuckle - I'm not sure about the how --- but I'm happy about the result!
Old 11-16-2018, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Way cool!!!

Michael, I understand the how which makes the result even cooler.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Way cool!!!

Michael, I understand the how which makes the result even cooler.
I barely understand the "how" but I like experimenting...LOL It was just cool that I could do all this testing in software, without moving or adding wires to the ECU. Ultimately I will need to add another wire.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)