Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video, LS1 Running In my 68 Camaro!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video, LS1 Running In my 68 Camaro!!!!

After blowing my motor up about 3 weeks ago i decided to go the ls1 route. Thanks to all on this page for your past posts and making this conversion happen so quickly. Here's a video for you enjoyment....

http://touring-classics.com/ls1start.htm

Jonathan
C5 Conversion Kits
http://www.touring-classics.com
Old 05-25-2004, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

3 weeks??? That's gotta be some kind of record. Is it drivable or does it just start and run? Nice job either way.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Default almost driveable..

I had the car started last night. Tonight I will drive it. All I need to do is bleed the clutch master and put the seats back in and I should be on the road. I'll give an update later.

Originally Posted by Scooter70
3 weeks??? That's gotta be some kind of record. Is it drivable or does it just start and run? Nice job either way.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is awesome. great turn around time on teh swap too.

congrats

later
tim
Old 05-25-2004, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Default I drove it!!!!

I buttoned up everything and drove the car to the gas station and back. The car is amaizing. It pulls hard and runs so smooth. i can't believe it is the same car. I noticed the fan didn't come on. I looked into it and found that the computer grounds the signal wire. I thought it supplied a 12+ source. Fixed that with no problem. Next issue... The battery is dead. My alternator is not charging. I checked into this and I have one lead from the post to the starter and the other is a 12+ ign on source that goes to the "L" terminal on the connector. I read that I need an inline 500 ohm resistor to act as a check light. Will not having this keep it from charging???
I am going to get the alternator tested tomorrow as it could have been bad from the start. Just want to eliminate that one..
Appreciate any help
Thanks
jonathan

Last edited by dukes68; 05-25-2004 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:56 AM
Launchin It!

Did you happen to Chip Foose and gang from Overhaul working on it? That is fast.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW!!! You are beyond quick! Very nice!
Old 05-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Duke, that sounds sweet! And three weeks? I'm not worthy.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Default Well it was sweet while it lasted...

I was driving the car home from work and noticed the oil pressure was low and then it dropped to 0 psi. NOT GOOD. The whole reason for busting my *** on the car was to have it ready for Power Tour and to help promote our brake company. I had the car towed home and immediately pulled the motor that night with the help of a friend. Last night I pulled the rod caps and there were light grooves in all the bearings. I pulled the main caps and there were MAJOR grooves in all the bearings. I only pulled 3 of the 5 caps. I am supsecting I spun a bearing on one of the two remaining caps. What a freakin month. I have gone through 2 motors(383,ls1) in 5 weeks. I know what ya'll are thinking, I rushed and forgot about something. I promise you everything was done right, just sh$% happens i guess. So the car will be home while I am at Power Tour in my business partners 67 RSSS vert. Look for me and say hello if you are there. The car will run again, just might be with a new bottom end and a cam
What a week!!!

Jonathan
http://www.touring-classics.com
C5 brake conversion
Old 06-03-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

D'OH!!
Old 06-06-2004, 03:51 AM
On The Tree

Hi, what steering system do you use on youre Camaro? original system with modified bottom pan or frontmounetd rack&pinion steering?

who deliveres frontmounted rack and pinion steering?

I started my LS1 conversion in march on my Camaro 67, a bit slower than you, the enginen is mounted in though did you by a transmission crossmember? or did you make one?

what did you do to the left side header, the original Camaro 98 header is crashing with mye steering box.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Default Should be running soon

I just got a new motor to the replace the one that lost oil pressure. I finally figured out exactly what happened and I thought it is extremely important I share with you.
I ordered a modified pan from S&P and after looking at it closer with the engine out the flange does not sit flush on the oil pump. So it had a bad seal and more than likely suck air with the oil causing low pressure that ulitmately killed my ls1.

PLEASE, double check the way this fits and save yourself on e big pain in the ***.

Anyway- I got a 6.0L, it just came back from the machine shop. It is now cleaned and honed and i should be putting it back together this weekend. I bought a used Custom Grind Comp Cam with 216/218 .535 lift and 112 LSA. The car should run great and can't wait to get it back on the road after 6 months of collecting dust.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Teching In

sweet, and i just watched the video, sounds amazing

can i ask, what does the exhaust consist of, long or short headers, cats (i would hope not), and what type of mufflers. thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 03:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 178 Likes on 116 Posts

Nice job... should be a blast.

Local guy to me did an LS1/T56 RX-7 FD swap in 4 days . I'll be calling him if/when I run into problems.

-Mark
Old 11-18-2004, 02:51 PM
svt
Staging Lane

thanks for the update, thats why I had a local guy do my oil pan so I could use both mounting points on the pickup, I just didn't like the way the s&p lengthened the pickup tube and removed one of the mounting points, just seems like bad engineering.

good luck with your 6.0L
Old 11-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Default Re::

They don't remove one of the mounting points, they just did not line up the way everything was supposed to. When I bolted everything up it slightly lifted flange off the oil pump. You would think if they sell a kit to change over the pan, they would have checked it, They seem to have no quality checks on anything they sell. I had another friend that bought the same pan and when he had it in the car and poured oil in it, it started to leak though one of the welds. If you buy their products, I would tripple check everything.

My exhaust is from Pypes exhaust. It is a mandrel bent 2.5 true duels with an x-pipe through Dynomax ultra flows. It almost sounds like it is not running at idle, but it has a great sound under load. I mean it did have a great sound.... I'll post some new video as soon as I get the new motor running.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Jonathan, glad to hear you are on the return road again. That cam you are installing is pretty tiny for a 6.0L, you are leaving alot of potential on the table with that cam.

I'd go with something like a 232/232 with at least .580 lift. It should wake that engine up nicely
Old 11-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Default cam??, I wish!!!

I would have loved to go with a bigger cam, but currently I do not have headers and can not afford them for a while. I didn't want to have a big cam, and not be able to take advantage of it. Also, i needed to run it with a stock tune for the mean time.
Otherwise, you are absolutley right!!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Default The motor is in!!

Just a quick update. I finished up putting the 6.0L together this weekend and dropped it in last night. I will finish attaching everthing tonight and get it up and running. i hope to get my friend over for a new video. I keep you posted...Wish me luck!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the double engine loss, but GREAT to hear about you getting it together so quick.

You might not remember me, but you guys sold me a 13" C5 front brake bracket system. I LOVE IT! Thank you soooo much.

I am putting a LS1 in my 69 and FAR from ready to hear it run.

Can't download your video at work. I am hoping I can see it tonight when I get home.

Maybe see you on the power tour next year.

Quick Reply: Video, LS1 Running In my 68 Camaro!!!!