Sponsored by:

will a truck intake fit? '89 Foxbody

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question will a truck intake fit? '89 Foxbody

Hi!
I'm hoping someone can chime in & verify if a 5.3 truck intake will fit under a stock 1989 Foxbody hood? From what i've read, it depends on what brand of K Member that's used. If anyone has any experience with this, please give me your .02

Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only kinda sorta tried this a few years ago. The main thing was I'd already hammered that hood to clear a different engine. I had that engine resting with the truck pan directly on the '89 2.3L K-member, no mounts.
Since then I made the truck intake clear under the hood of my '86 Camaro, lots of smoothing it. But the fuel crossover was still touching. I spaced my 'camaro crossmember down 1/4", then tweaked my IROC-Z hood to fit, but now I'm working on running a flexible crossover hosearound the back of the truck intake manifold.
I'm playing with a pair of '01 Truck engines, same as when I had my '89 Mustang.
Not the best intakes, but fine for mild boost as I'm working on. Plus saved me from having to buy a bunch of LS1 Camaro parts then buy a retune for different injectors before the boost tune for a turbo I haven't yet purchased.
I say the 'camaro has less hood clearance than the 'stang, but your mounting will decide for you, and your choice of oilpan will dictate your mounting.
I modified the truck pan, barely lower than a PF46E filter now, still holds 6 quarts with filter without windage when static. I'm planning on 5 quarts until / unless it becomes a problem.
Then, the front half of that pan is still deep, so may meed a thin K-member, or reduced depth there, at which point it may be better to just get a different pan.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Isolde
I only kinda sorta tried this a few years ago. The main thing was I'd already hammered that hood to clear a different engine. I had that engine resting with the truck pan directly on the '89 2.3L K-member, no mounts.
Since then I made the truck intake clear under the hood of my '86 Camaro, lots of smoothing it. But the fuel crossover was still touching. I spaced my 'camaro crossmember down 1/4", then tweaked my IROC-Z hood to fit, but now I'm working on running a flexible crossover hosearound the back of the truck intake manifold.
I'm playing with a pair of '01 Truck engines, same as when I had my '89 Mustang.
Not the best intakes, but fine for mild boost as I'm working on. Plus saved me from having to buy a bunch of LS1 Camaro parts then buy a retune for different injectors before the boost tune for a turbo I haven't yet purchased.
I say the 'camaro has less hood clearance than the 'stang, but your mounting will decide for you, and your choice of oilpan will dictate your mounting.
I modified the truck pan, barely lower than a PF46E filter now, still holds 6 quarts with filter without windage when static. I'm planning on 5 quarts until / unless it becomes a problem.
Then, the front half of that pan is still deep, so may meed a thin K-member, or reduced depth there, at which point it may be better to just get a different pan.
I plan to use a CTS-V oil pan. As for a K-Member, I really like the tubular ones that are made by PA Racing (you can order them with LS1-style mounts). They look really stout. As you said, I also do NOT want to have the added expense of swapping over to an LS1-style intake manifold, injectors, accessories, etc. I'm hoping that by using the right K-Member & a CTS-V oil pan, I can make the truck intake manifold fit under the stock 1989 'stang hood.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Gimme a few hours, I'll find and post some pics of how I've modded my truck intake. Should help if you decide to try, or anyone else sees this.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

modifying the Z hood:

ground-down manifold:

Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

modified non-Z hood:
Old 04-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

I trimmed some of the support in the hood and I was able to make the truck intake and accessories fit with the AJE k-member.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 04-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Launching!

AJE K Member, completely untouched truck intake and stock 93 Fox hood (liner still on hood)...the truck intake didn't clear. But as stated, little trimming and cutting and it will

Last edited by FrossB; 04-02-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:21 PM
9 Second Club

you can also space out the k member from the frame. i had 1" spacers for ever on mine. (9 years)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
you can also space out the k member from the frame. i had 1" spacers for ever on mine. (9 years)
Thanks everyone!!

Quick Reply: will a truck intake fit? '89 Foxbody