Sponsored by:

Lm7/4l60e swap including instrument cluster and steering column

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lm7/4l60e swap including instrument cluster and steering column

Hey there
My dad just totaled his 2001 suburban. I'm gonna buy it back and get a headstart on my 75 k10 build.

My question is if I take the collumn and everything out of the suburban and throw it in my truck, could I make the motor run without dealing with ecu and wiring harness mods right now?

A local guy I know said a customer brought hi . A rolled Yukon and a k20 and he did just that. Didn't cut the harness. Didnt flash anything.

So it sounds like it just needs the key and column to think its still in a suburban? Anyone see how this would(or wouldn't) work?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Cameron Hill; 12-25-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:08 AM
Launching!

No. Fuel system won't work, you don't mention cooling system at all either. So you're going to install the entire engine harness, body harness, ecm and bcm? Just spent the 500 for a standalone harness or do some reading and do it yourself.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Received 107 Likes on 45 Posts

Having the key/column/BCM will allow it to start without deleting VATS. but I wouldn't suggest going that route just for the savings of getting the ECM programmed. I would suggest going that route if you want the factory gauges; convenience options (possibly cruise control, daytime running lamps, RAP, etc.). Having all the modern touches in an old car is pretty cool in my opinion. BUT if you just want it to run I would modify the harness and get the computer reprogrammed and not bother with all the extra wiring/work.
I have the factory gauges/ignition and BCM in my '63 Econoline build because I wanted as many modern features as possible.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird

No. Fuel system won't work, you don't mention cooling system at all either. So you're going to install the entire engine harness, body harness, ecm and bcm? Just spent the 500 for a standalone harness or do some reading and do it yourself.
I'm aware of the fuel system. I'm gonnavtry to see if I can fit the suburban tank in my truck. For the pump, the correct ohms for the gauge, and I assume it has baffles so I won't slosh around ad much
Old 12-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trozfan
Having the key/column/BCM will allow it to start without deleting VATS. but I wouldn't suggest going that route just for the savings of getting the ECM programmed. I would suggest going that route if you want the factory gauges; convenience options (possibly cruise control, daytime running lamps, RAP, etc.). Having all the modern touches in an old car is pretty cool in my opinion. BUT if you just want it to run I would modify the harness and get the computer reprogrammed and not bother with all the extra wiring/work.
I have the factory gauges/ignition and BCM in my '63 Econoline build because I wanted as many modern features as possible.
I definitely am going to try to get cruise working with the swap. Might be driving 9hr+ drives.
I thought of using the column first, just so I have the controls for cruise and have tilt, etc. But if I can do that and make it fire already, that'd be way cool.

Maybe down the road when performance mods happen Ill wipe the computer and deal with all that. But as of right now I'd like to see if I can get it to run as it is

I was at a cross road of selling it and buying a new truck, or build this and make it perform like a new truck.
Guess what I chose

Are there any things I need to take out of the suburban to make this possible besides the basics?
Old 12-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Launching!

I guess it depends on whether your time is worth anything to you. I'd use the engine harness only, wire it for standalone and get the pcm programmed. Your going through a whole lot of trouble for no reason. You can get cruise control to work with some wiring and a new stalk in your old column. Keep your tank and wire up an external pump. There are about a billion different variables. Unless you're gutting your truck it seems foolish to do what you're trying to do.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did my 88 Chevy squarebody truck. Use Lt1Swap.com info get harness to stand alone. He does pcm program cheap. I used his info on 3 now no problem. Why get into more hassle with making column fit. The wiring fuse block and pcm can be mounted on driver wheelwell no problem. Just as is on suburban.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

It's going to take some fab skills to get that steering column mounted in there safely, don't skimp on the only thing that allows you to control where you're going at 65mph..... Would be way easier to just flash the PCM to remove VATS like the others have said, not to mention you probably have different gears than the Suburban, so that will need to be addressed anyway. Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Lm7/4l60e swap including instrument cluster and steering column